Different scenario

Lane1974

can you guys envision a scenario where Loria moves the team to some city (Vegas, Carolinas, San Antonio), and in a few years Florida gets another team, ala the Cleveland Browns and Houston Texans, owned by the rich Venezualan Miamian? Give them several years to figure out the stadium issue, MLB would want to be back down here, if they do indeed we're a viable city, and we come back stronger than before, with a new stadium and a richer owner..

could it happen?

The area keeps growing. We will have nearly 6 million people in Broward, Palm Beach, and Dade counties within 10 years. Hard to stay away from a market that big.

Why not? MLB stayed away from Washington, DC for 34 years, and believe me this isn't the DC market. We may have the numbers, but South Florida does not have the $$$$ that the DC market has in terms of income.

If baseball leaves here (and I don't think it will at all), it will NEVER come back!

Doubtful.

If Miami isn't building a stadium now, I have a hard time seeing it happen in the future. This, in a round about sort of way, is it for Miami and MLB at least for the forseeable future.

It's not like the Charlotte situation with the NBA or even the Browns with the NFL, this is just an apathetic sports market.

Not to say it couldn't happen 10 or 20 years down the line, but MLB doesn't want another expansion franchise.

No, expansion is done for awhile. Rays are locked in st pete for another 25 years. There were rumors during contraction that the Rays would be allowed to leave if the cities were given money and some bookings...the idea being that the marlins would play there part time concentrating on the last part when football season came around....unfortunately the rumor was bogus.

I'd say expansion is out of the picture for a long time, but when a new team does enter the mix or when a franchise decides to up and move, South Florida would have to be the logical first choice.

It's retarded that a market as large this one would have to be without a major league team, but hey, stranger things have happened. Last I checked, Los Angeles doesn't have an NFL team.