Chris Volstad

UltimateCabrera24

4. CHRIS VOLSTAD, rhp Age: 19 B-T: R-R Ht: 6-7 Wt.: 190

Drafted: HS?Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., 2005 (1st round) Signed by: John Martin

Background: Volstad struggled in his final high school start, throwing just 48 strikes in 92 pitches in a Florida state semfinal playoff loss, and that allowed him to fall to the Marlins as the 16th overall pick in the 2005 draft. After signing for a $1.6 million bonus, he ranked as the top pitching prospect in both the GCL and the short-season New York-Penn League.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strengths:

For his experience level, Volstad is extremely polished. He shows good poise, sound mechanics, an easy and repeatable delivery and a willingness to take instruction. He pitches at 89-91 mph and tops out at 94 mph. He can bury his curveball when necessary or throw it for strikes. He has a solid changeup for his age and generally keeps the ball down in the strike zone.

Weaknesses:

At times Volstad will slow his arm speed when he throws his changeup, and he?ll also overthrow his curve. Adding more strength would help him add velocity, and that should come with time.

The Future:

Volstad should start 2006 at low Class A Greensboro. From there he could move rather quickly through a system that has shown it knows how to develop starting pitching.

I'm thinking a combination of bulking up in the offseason, and getting a good A-ball pitching coach would really go a long way with him.

He's still just a year out of high-school, velocity shouldn't be such a concern. The fact that he throws strikes and could (potentially) have three plus pitches (fastball, curve, change) is reason for excitement. However, he isn't ace material given his lack of a true #1 pitch...

I haven't seen him pitch, but it sounds like his curve could really become a plus pitch if he can get stronger to control it.

He's still just a year out of high-school, velocity shouldn't be such a concern. The fact that he throws strikes and could (potentially) have three plus pitches (fastball, curve, change) is reason for excitement. However, he isn't ace material given his lack of a true #1 pitch...

I haven't seen him pitch, but it sounds like his curve could really become a plus pitch if he can get stronger to control it.

Oh, there's no questioning his curve could become a plus pitch, but there's a difference between a plus pitch and an out pitch...that's all I was talking about.

Oh, there's no questioning his curve could become a plus pitch, but there's a difference between a plus pitch and an out pitch...that's all I was talking about.

Ya he's not going to have an AJ 12 to 6, but diversity is the key to success!

Well, I think he can be good. The BA chat apparently compared to him to Steve Trachsel with a better fastball.

A 6' 7" Steve Trachsel with a 95 mph fast ball sounds like a great MLB pitcher to me.

I'm also a bit tied financially as I have been buying up a great portion of Chris's rookie cards, including all of the rare ones. So, I'll be watching closely.

Well, I think he can be good. The BA chat apparently compared to him to Steve Trachsel with a better fastball.

A 6' 7" Steve Trachsel with a 95 mph fast ball sounds like a great MLB pitcher to me.

I'm also a bit tied financially as I have been buying up a great portion of Chris's rookie cards, including all of the rare ones. So, I'll be watching closely.

Eh, he'll push 95, but I think he'll be more around D Train's range--91-94.