Marlins notes from the Herald

wanks1212

The latest from Tampa on Gathright...it seems like they are at an impasse...the D-rays are holding out for Olsen.

Stick to your guns Admin!

Rays executives keep lines open but refuse to trade just for trading's sake

By DAMIAN CRISTODERO, Times Staff Writer

Published December 22, 2005

Andrew Friedman said he spent Wednesday like many other days in his Tropicana Field office: working the phones, trying to make trades and determinations on free agents.

And though he would not talk specifically about moves, the Devil Rays executive vice president said he is not feeling pressure to deal beyond the acquisitions of third baseman Sean Burroughs and backup catcher Josh Paul.

"We're not going to be pressured to do something just to do it," he said. "It has to overlap with what we're trying to accomplish. If not, we're very satisfied with how the roster is shaping up."

That said, centerfielder Joey Gathright is still front and center with the Marlins and Red Sox. Florida left-hander Scott Olsen has apparently been discussed as part of the compensation.

Shortstop Julio Lugo is in the mix with Boston and the Mets, and the Red Sox still have an eye on rightfielder Aubrey Huff.

As for the 50 players who became free agents after they were not offered contracts, it is believed only right-handed reliever Shawn Camp, 1-4 last season with a 6.43 ERA in 29 appearances with the Royals, has piqued Tampa Bay's interest.

The latest from Tampa on Gathright...it seems like they are at an impasse...the D-rays are holding out for Olsen.

Stick to your guns Admin!

Rays executives keep lines open but refuse to trade just for trading's sake

By DAMIAN CRISTODERO, Times Staff Writer

Published December 22, 2005

Andrew Friedman said he spent Wednesday like many other days in his Tropicana Field office: working the phones, trying to make trades and determinations on free agents.

And though he would not talk specifically about moves, the Devil Rays executive vice president said he is not feeling pressure to deal beyond the acquisitions of third baseman Sean Burroughs and backup catcher Josh Paul.

"We're not going to be pressured to do something just to do it," he said. "It has to overlap with what we're trying to accomplish. If not, we're very satisfied with how the roster is shaping up."

That said, centerfielder Joey Gathright is still front and center with the Marlins and Red Sox. Florida left-hander Scott Olsen has apparently been discussed as part of the compensation.

Shortstop Julio Lugo is in the mix with Boston and the Mets, and the Red Sox still have an eye on rightfielder Aubrey Huff.

As for the 50 players who became free agents after they were not offered contracts, it is believed only right-handed reliever Shawn Camp, 1-4 last season with a 6.43 ERA in 29 appearances with the Royals, has piqued Tampa Bay's interest.

Does that mean Olsen is only one part of the deal, or did they just word it poorly?

Does that mean Olsen is only one part of the deal, or did they just word it poorly?

Lol, I almost fell out of my chair when I read that. I have to believe it is a) as you said worded poorly, or b) part of a bigger deal.

In some ways the Marlins are in the driver's seat here. Fan expectation in South Florida is so low that not trading Olsen for Gathright is barely a blip on the radar screen as far as the typical Fish fan goes, but in Tampa Bay where new ownership is touting how they're finally going to put a competitive team out there, making this, or some other deal, is almost a must.

Time will tell though, but I just keep seeing Scott Olsen standing up there next to Dontrelle Willis a week ago, and it's hard to imagine the FO turning around and trading the guy. But if there's anything we've learned in the last month, it's to expect the unexpected.

Lol, I almost fell out of my chair when I read that. I have to believe it is a) as you said worded poorly, or b) part of a bigger deal.

Well, the Devil Rays have had a tendency to ask for the Holy Grail as part of any trade package...so while the Marlins may not be biting, that doesn't mean the Devil Rays haven't gotten their hopes up.

Said it before and I'll say it again, it's commendable that the Rays hold fast to their trade policy, but sooner or later that's going to cripple them when they're left holding the bag on Huff and Baez.