Marlins notes from the Herald

wanks1212

The Marlins called about free agent OF Reggie Sanders but determined he's too expensive. They have indicated mild interest in veteran relievers Matt Mantei and Jeff Nelson. Tampa Bay asked the Marlins for LHP Scott Olsen in a trade for speedy CF Joey Gathright, but Florida was reluctant.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/13455039.htm

Good to see they're reluctant to do the Olsen for Gathright swap.

That's very good because I think the Rays will lower the asking price for Gathright because many of the teams that were interested in him have resolved their CF problem (ex. Dodgers, Yanks) unless the Red Sox become interested now.

>The list of possible replacements includes Seattle's Jeremy Reed, Cleveland's Coco Crisp, San Diego's Dave Roberts, Tampa Bay's Joey Gathright, the Cubs' Corey Patterson, and free agents Preston Wilson, Terrence Long, and Juan Encarnacion."

On broadcasts of Hagerstown Suns games, the announcer refers to Dante Brinkley as ?The Inferno.?

Brinkley, the starting left fielder for Hagerstown, laughs at the nickname he has been given for being the team?s top hitter.

?Right now, I?m just trying to stay even-keeled and not get too high or low,? said Brinkley, hitting .371 with 12 doubles, three triples, eight home runs and 32 RBI through Sunday?s games. ?I don?t look at my stats. I don?t think I?m Dante?s Inferno like everyone else. I?m just picking up a couple hits and minimizing the 0-for-4 games.?

Brinkley?s maturity has impressed his manager Gene Richards, who calls the 23-year-old ?a gamer? and said he reminds him of Darin Erstad, the first baseman for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, whom he coached as a roving instructor with the club.

?He?s a throwback. He reminds you of an old-time ballplayer who wants to fight if things don?t go right,? Richards said. ?He?s my leader. Players tend to listen to their peers and Dante?s not afraid to tell guys what he sees. He criticizes, points them in the right direction.

?He?ll bunt, hit and run, throws his body around out there, will go into the wall. He does a lot of the dirty work that others wouldn?t do.?

Maybe we have already traded for our CF ? I really like what I have read about Dante. I know that he is old for A ball, but I think he will only need a little bit of time in AA to get ready for the Marlins. He's certainly got the tools...

The more I think about it and the more I look at numbers, I would fall under the list of not wanting to trade Olsen for Gathright, someone else maybe but not Olsen.....I think that is too steep of a price...

I was thinking the same, his outings against Tampa and the Cubs were pretty good. We should keep him but we do need a CF

I think those two outings put him on the map and it was a great start to a promising career now if he can stay healthy he will be a solid No. 2 starter for years to come behind the Train

Fantastic. Tampa will still want one of our pitchers because of our depth of talented prospects.

This opens the door for a possible Petit/Gathright deal. Git r done

aaaaannd no.

That's a very even deal, all things considered. If we only had 2 or 3 stud prospects, I'd be against it. But because of the plethora of talent we have available at the pitching position, Petit is more expendable than he would have been on the Mets.

Fantastic. Tampa will still want one of our pitchers because of our depth of talented prospects.

aaaaannd no.

That's a very even deal, all things considered. If we only had 2 or 3 stud prospects, I'd be against it. But because of the plethora of talent we have available at the pitching position, Petit is more expendable than he would have been on the Mets.

Take a look at the Devil Rays and see what they have to say about giving "expendable" talent away.

Heck, I'd go so far as to call "expendable talent" oxymoronic.

Just for what it's worth on a slow news day, regarding Dante Brinkley...

Dante Brinkley is listed as 5-foot-11, but when he stands next to strapping 6-foot-4 first baseman Davidson, he looks like a runt.

Dante may not be exceptionally tall, but a day spent watching him at the batting cage and in a game shows you why this Southwest Missouri State product is an outfield prospect to whom attention must be paid.

On Sunday, July 11, the Cyclones varied their normal batting practice routine by playing a game where the team was divided into two squads. Each would bat in a simulated game against manager Tony Tijerina, pitching for both teams. The game was played without fielders and each batter?s at-bat resulted in Tijerina, also serving as umpire, ruling the ball an out or a hit.

When Brinkley?s team wasn?t hitting, he stood near the cage, playfully making remarks to disturb the opposing batter?s concentration. When opponent Davidson hit a home run over the 315 mark in left field, Brinkley was non-plussed. ?316 feet,? he cackled to Davidson.

When Grant Psomas, one of Dante?s opponents, interrupted a string of his team?s outs with a hit, Brinkley announced to his ?enemies,? ?Psomas is carrying you guys like a backpack!?

The batting practice game was close, and, along with losing a bit of face, the losing team would be responsible for picking up all the baseballs in the outfield after the drill was over.

As the simulated game went into the last inning, Brinkley?s opponents had a chance to win. Behind the batter?s back, Brinkley indicated with his hand that he wanted Tijerina, who throws a pretty good knuckleball, to let loose with a floater.

Tijerina declined, and the batter hit a ball to the outfield. Tijerina ruled the ball a hit, thus allowing Dante?s opponents to win. Brinkley playfully protested, but he meant it.

Later, in the real game against Staten Island, when Psomas, the Cyclones? third baseman, went to his left for a grounder, Brinkley hustled from left field to cover third in case he was needed.

In the last inning, with the score tied and none out, Brinkley, hitting second behind Derran Watts, mentioned to Watts, that a bunt against the Yankee first baseman might work. Brinkley told Watts that if he could bunt his way on and then steal second, Brinkley could bunt him to third.

Watts did bunt towards the first base side and, on the ensuing throwing error into right field, he rounded the bases for the win.

Dante Brinkley lost the simulated game, but his hustle and smarts helped to win the real one.

--------------

FROM BA:

Q: Randy from NYC asks:

I was surprised to see that Dante Brinkley didn't make the Top 20, despite strong numbers across the board. Is that a function of his age? What are the projections for him, and could he move up the Mets' system quickly from this point forward?

A: Aaron Fitt: Brinkley did have a terrific year, and league managers liked him as a player. He handles the bat well, uses all fields, plays hard and plays solid defense. But he's not a real big guy, only 5-10, 180 pounds, and he projects best as a fourth or fifth outfielder in the big leagues. Still, it's worth noting that a couple managers think he'll develop some power - one even said that his swing reminds him of Miguel Tejada. Brinkley has an outside shot of becoming an overachieving starting outfielder in the majors.

aaaaannd no.

Take a look at the Devil Rays and see what they have to say about giving "expendable" talent away.

Heck, I'd go so far as to call "expendable talent" oxymoronic.

I never used that wording, so don't put it into my mouth. I said Petit is expendable because of our (Marlins) unique situation.

Petit isn't going anywhere.. He might not have the stuff of the others but he will have the most success. Let's see! Who had the better stuff, Beckett, Penny, A J, or Willis? It wasn't Willis. Who is the better Major League pitcher? Hands down it's Willis. The heck with stuff and scouts, just get me results...

Petit isn't going anywhere.. He might not have the stuff of the others but he will have the most success. Let's see! Who had the better stuff, Beckett, Penny, A J, or Willis? It wasn't Willis. Who is the better Major League pitcher? Hands down it's Willis. The heck with stuff and scouts, just get me results...

I think you are confused. Willis was a very highly touted pitcher in the Cubs organization (I think he was #2 at the time Prior was there, if I'm not mistaken. IT IS POSSIBLE I'M WRONG SO DONT JUMP ON ME). Beckett IS better than Willis if he were healthy, and the verdict on Burnett is still out until after this year IMO.

Penny was just never on the same level as them.

I think you are confused. Willis was a very highly touted pitcher in the Cubs organization (I think he was #2 at the time Prior was there, if I'm not mistaken. IT IS POSSIBLE I'M WRONG SO DONT JUMP ON ME).

You're mistaken, he never cracked the top ten with the Cubs.

Here's BA from 2001-2002:

Corey Patterson, of

Juan Cruz, rhp

Hee Seop Choi, 1b

Ben Christensen, rhp

Carlos Zambrano, rhp

Luis Montanez, ss

David Kelton, 3b

Bobby Hill, ss/2b

John Webb, rhp

Nate Frese, ss

Mark Prior, rhp

Juan Cruz, rhp

Hee Seop Choi, 1b

David Kelton, 3b/of

Bobby Hill, 2b

Carlos Zambrano, rhp

Nic Jackson, of

Ben Christensen, rhp

Scott Chiasson, rhp

Luiz Montanez, ss

Some Good news there!

I think Nelson and Manti wouldnt be to bad in the Marlins Pen, give some tips to the kids..

Im sure the asking price for Gathright will go down once the Red Sox get a CF. I am almost positive that they arent looking at him so its possible for us to get gathright w/o having to give up Olsen! SOUNDS GOOD!