Mike Jacobs Note

fauowls44

Here's a blurb about our new 1B from a recent rotoworld article. Not sure if it was posted yet....

Mike Jacobs ? Marlins

The Marlins acquired left-handed hitting 25 year-old first baseman Mike Jacobs in the Carlos Delgado trade this winter. The Fish received a nice bounty, with Jacobs and pitching prospect Yusmeiro Petit as the centerpieces.

Unfortunately, the presence of both Josh Willingham and Miguel Olivo on the roster will probably preclude Jacobs from fetching catcher eligibility in 2006. I hate the Olivo acquisition as a fantasy baseball player, but the Marlins aren?t trying to win roto leagues. It?s just that a tandem of offensively-minded catchers Willingham and Jacobs could?ve been an incredible sleeper combo. Oh well.

Instead, we?re stuck employing Jacobs as a first baseman, which is much less appealing. Still, he?s not a bad pick for your utility corner infielder slot. He?ll definitely get 500 at-bats on the youthful Marlins (unless they run out and sign Tino Martinez or something).

One cause for concern: Jacobs hasn?t spent much time at Triple A. Still, he mashed 36 HR in 533 at-bats between Double A and the Majors in 2005. He should be good for 25 dingers in ?06. Jacobs should also be able to drive in 90 runs as part of a Marlins top five that actually could be formidable.

His batting average is a question mark, but I?ve estimated something like .270. He has decent plate discipline and did hit over .300 in 2005. Overall, Jacobs looks like a decent gamble during the late rounds.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/story.asp...B&storyid=18602

I just love (not) these roto guys who are disappointed they can't play a guy at the position THEY want, regardless of need, health or other factors.

I'm curious if anyone has read anything recently on how well Jacobs is doing in the winter leagues. Last published report I saw had him hitting around .200 and not providing much production at all.

An update would be really appreciated.

I cant f***ing wait, im one of the few(most of us i guess) that has baseball above everything else in south florida, dont get me wrong i love my canes and dolphins, and heat, but the marlins take the number one spot, so im ready for the '06 season, im glad we got the WBC to look foward to also it'll keep me entertained through march.

I cant f***ing wait, im one of the few(most of us i guess) that has baseball above everything else in south florida, dont get me wrong i love my canes and dolphins, and heat, but the marlins take the number one spot, so im ready for the '06 season, im glad we got the WBC to look foward to also it'll keep me entertained through march.

Yea man im about BASEBALL first, and I can't wait for this season even with all our loses I think we got back some nice looking ball players who will be pretty darn good very soon.

I think it's going to be an intresting season.... :D