Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

JP would have liked to finish his career with the Marlins

Featured Replies

Former South Alabama center fielder Juan Pierre could have happily finished his career with the Florida Marlins, but the business end of Major League Baseball isn't that easy.

 

Pierre had three productive years with the Marlins, enjoyed playing for the organization and loved living in Miami.

 

But when the dollar signs didn't add up for the Marlins during the 2005 season, Pierre knew his days with the organization were numbered and he would spend his seventh season elsewhere.

 

"I could see the writing on the wall when they started making deals," Pierre said from his home in Miami before heading to Mobile for Saturday's Hall of Fame Game at Stanky Field.

 

"I would have liked to finish my career there, but they were having a firesale, trading everybody for financial reasons and I knew I wouldn't be playing for the Marlins again."

 

Pierre was right. The swift leadoff hitter, who had 606 hits, scored 296 runs, and swiped 167 bases for Florida in three years, was traded to the Chicago Cubs for three minor league pitchers last December.

 

"I felt comfortable with the Marlins and liked everything about playing in Miami," said Pierre. "But it became obvious that things weren't going to work out. I just have to move on."

 

On Thursday, he did. Pierre agreed to a $5.75 million, one-year contract with the Chicago Cubs. Pierre made $3.7 million last year. He asked for $6.5 million and the Cubs offered $5 million.

 

Pierre will be expected to jumpstart the Cubs offense by getting on base with regularity, something that former Chicago outfielder Cory Patterson could not do consistently.

 

"They're not going to ask me to do anything different," said Pierre. "They just want me to be me. They're not going to ask me to hit 30 home runs.

 

"I think I'm stepping into a great situation. The Cubs always have a competitive team, and they've got the best fans in the world. They want to win so badly and if we can stay healthy, then I think we'll be able to contend."

 

The Cubs will be Pierre's third Major League team. He began his professional career in the Colorado Rockies franchise and played three years in Denver before being traded by the Marlins.

 

"As a player, you'd like to find a team where you can play for most of your career, but it doesn't always work that way in this business," said Pierre. "I've made the transition before and I don't see any problems this time. Baseball is still baseball."

 

Pierre is one of several former South Alabama players who will be in Mobile this weekend for the annual Hall of Fame Game. The game will be played on Saturday at 1:35 p.m.

 

"I really enjoy coming back," said Pierre. "It almost signals the start of baseball season for me. I was upset they didn't have it last year, and I'm really looking forward to it.

 

"I can remember when I was on the other side as a South Alabama player. It was a big deal to me then and it still is now."

 

In conjunction with the Hall of Game, a home run derby contest will be held prior to the game and an autograph session will be held after the contest.

 

A reception for former USA players and Jaguar Club members is being held Friday night from 8 to 10 at the Stadium Club at Stanky Field.

 

 

:banghead

I would not have liked for Pierre to finish his career as a Marlin.

Whatever.

 

He still can come back this offseason, but it's not like we needed to hang onto him after all that happened before he was dealt.

Despite what anyone says, Juan Pierre was a class act during his entire time with the Marlins. He was an all-star caliber performer who had a mediocre season in 2005, and people are too quick to forget his many contributions to the team.

  • Author

Despite what anyone says, Juan Pierre was a class act during his entire time with the Marlins. He was an all-star caliber performer who had a mediocre season in 2005, and people are too quick to forget his many contributions to the team.

 

Exactly, he was one of THE primary factors which resulted in winning the WS in 03, yet because of last season many forgot all about it.

Despite what anyone says, Juan Pierre was a class act during his entire time with the Marlins. He was an all-star caliber performer who had a mediocre season in 2005, and people are too quick to forget his many contributions to the team.

 

Exactly, he was one of THE primary factors which resulted in winning the WS in 03, yet because of last season many forgot all about it.

 

I don't think anyone's forgetting what he did. I think most are forgetting that he isn't a "carry the team on his back" kind of player. There is no point in having him on the '06 Marlins.

 

I'm more upset that we got three players we don't really need in return for Pierre than I am that he was traded.

 

Besides, you tell me that I can have any player back that we traded (contract considered), he's probably (at best) third on the list behind Beckett and Castillo.

Despite what anyone says, Juan Pierre was a class act during his entire time with the Marlins. He was an all-star caliber performer who had a mediocre season in 2005, and people are too quick to forget his many contributions to the team.

 

His work ethic was also inspirational for all of us, especially the children. And his perceived personality and the way he looked with his cap to the side are intangible things to be missed. Of course he didn't fit with the payroll flexible hopeandaprayer AAA 2006 Marlins. I wish him well and I hope he regains his offensive form to make up for his defense.

I would not have liked for Pierre to finish his career as a Marlin.

 

Agreed.

Despite what anyone says, Juan Pierre was a class act during his entire time with the Marlins. He was an all-star caliber performer who had a mediocre season in 2005, and people are too quick to forget his many contributions to the team.

 

I'm not going to ignore he had a positive impact on the field. However, I'd argue it's not as much as some others, notably those who view his possession of rare physical abilities to translate into rare spectacular performances on the field and dismiss his liabilities. When you consider all his skills and the role he played for us, he's much closer to zero-sum player than a MVP candidate. Thus, he is overrated in terms of talent and overpaid as a result. Also, I think the impact he had off the had its disturbing effects as well as its positive for the team, as nearly all character traits do.

  • Author

Despite what anyone says, Juan Pierre was a class act during his entire time with the Marlins. He was an all-star caliber performer who had a mediocre season in 2005, and people are too quick to forget his many contributions to the team.

 

His work ethic was also inspirational for all of us, especially the children.

:lol

Juan Pierre was always the first player to the ballpark. He always works hard in the off-season to make himself faster. I have nothing negative to say about JP, the man has a .305 career batting average. JP is the kind of guy the young players could have looked up to.

 

Oh well, I understand the money factor.

 

As far as Castillo and Pierre comparisons go, all you have to do is look at how each player did in the post-season.

Juan Pierre was always the first player to the ballpark. He always works hard in the off-season to make himself faster. I have nothing negative to say about JP, the man has a .305 career batting average. JP is the kind of guy the young players could have looked up to.

 

Oh well, I understand the money factor.

 

As far as Castillo and Pierre comparisons go, all you have to do is look at how each player did in the post-season.

 

:thumbup

Juan Pierre was always the first player to the ballpark. He always works hard in the off-season to make himself faster. I have nothing negative to say about JP, the man has a .305 career batting average. JP is the kind of guy the young players could have looked up to.

 

Oh well, I understand the money factor.

 

As far as Castillo and Pierre comparisons go, all you have to do is look at how each player did in the post-season.

 

Ignoring that last sentence, which is both irrevalent to anything discussed in this thread and incredible assumption to make...

 

Next time you consider how Pierre's abilities, behavior and traits helped the team, consider what other effects they might have had. This isn't Candyland. This is real life - full of complex personalities that can not be pinned down to black and white or good and evil. His determination caused him to play through bad techniques and bad health, which is both admirable in one way and not in others. His hard work may have set an example to some, to others, it may have given rise to resentment that they weren't doing enough that may had/ve led to a breakdown of respect or trust in Pierre that undermined the team on and off the field.

 

Try doing this for other people. You learn more about the situation, by viewing it from all the perspectives.

Juan Pierre was always the first player to the ballpark. He always works hard in the off-season to make himself faster. I have nothing negative to say about JP, the man has a .305 career batting average. JP is the kind of guy the young players could have looked up to.

 

Oh well, I understand the money factor.

 

As far as Castillo and Pierre comparisons go, all you have to do is look at how each player did in the post-season.

 

Ignoring that last sentence, which is both irrevalent to anything discussed in this thread and incredible assumption to make...

 

Next time you consider how Pierre's abilities, behavior and traits helped the team, consider what other effects they might have had. This isn't Candyland. This is real life - full of complex personalities that can not be pinned down to black and white or good and evil. His determination caused him to play through bad techniques and bad health, which is both admirable in one way and not in others. His hard work may have set an example to some, to others, it may have given rise to resentment that they weren't doing enough that may had/ve led to a breakdown of respect or trust in Pierre that undermined the team on and off the field.

 

Try doing this for other people. You learn more about the situation, by viewing it from all the perspectives.

So, are you saying that JP's hard work ethic, first to the ballpark, last to leave, etc.,.....that this was a good example to some but overall it was not a good thing....... and that this type of aberrant behavior should be discouraged and is detrimental to a team as a whole.

Juan Pierre was always the first player to the ballpark. He always works hard in the off-season to make himself faster. I have nothing negative to say about JP, the man has a .305 career batting average. JP is the kind of guy the young players could have looked up to.

 

Oh well, I understand the money factor.

 

As far as Castillo and Pierre comparisons go, all you have to do is look at how each player did in the post-season.

 

Ignoring that last sentence, which is both irrevalent to anything discussed in this thread and incredible assumption to make...

 

Next time you consider how Pierre's abilities, behavior and traits helped the team, consider what other effects they might have had. This isn't Candyland. This is real life - full of complex personalities that can not be pinned down to black and white or good and evil. His determination caused him to play through bad techniques and bad health, which is both admirable in one way and not in others. His hard work may have set an example to some, to others, it may have given rise to resentment that they weren't doing enough that may had/ve led to a breakdown of respect or trust in Pierre that undermined the team on and off the field.

 

Try doing this for other people. You learn more about the situation, by viewing it from all the perspectives.

 

Players can come to resent other players for a whole host of reasons. Some believe they are not getting enough playing time. Others resent being pulled from the lineup in favor of another. But to argue that it could be a good thing jettisoning a player who works hard to improve his game because other players resent his hard work is just wrong. While you may be right, these types of players should not be sympathized with. They can either work hard or not, but I would rather have a player willing to work hard to improve their game than some prima dona who is more concerned with the hard worker making him look bad.

So, are you saying that JP's hard work ethic, first to the ballpark, last to leave, etc.,.....that this was a good example to some but overall it was not a good thing....... and that this type of aberrant behavior should be discouraged and is detrimental to a team as a whole.

 

Not at all! Please re-read my post.

 

But to argue that it could be a good thing jettisoning a player who works hard to improve his game because other players resent his hard work is just wrong. While you may be right, these types of players should not be sympathized with. They can either work hard or not, but I would rather have a player willing to work hard to improve their game than some prima dona who is more concerned with the hard worker making him look bad.

 

No one is arguing JP should have been jettisoned because he worked hard. Duh! And that wasn't the reason why he was. Read the transactions in today's paper and you'll see why. $5.75M is a lot to pay, especially for a player of his skill set.

 

 

Also, this isn't particularly relevant to the discussion regarding Pierre, but note that hard work does nothing by itself. You first have an idea of what to improve and how to do so. I can take grounder after grounder, but if I don't know to receive the ball with two hands, I'm going to be every bit as error-prone and slow to transfer as I was before. Only now I'm physically exhausted and bruised up, which is going to weaken my game even more.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.