Marlins set an all-time MLB record tonight!

Notes: Record six rookies start

Management renewed; German claimed off waivers

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- In settling on Monday's starting lineup, Marlins manager Joe Girardi made some baseball history.

For the first time since 1900, regarded as the beginning of the league's modern era, a Major League club had six rookies in the starting lineup.

The six rookies who will become parts of a trivia question are shortstop Hanley Ramirez, right fielder Jeremy Hermida, first baseman Mike Jacobs, second baseman Dan Uggla, left fielder Josh Willingham and center fielder Eric Reed.

"It had to be done the first time they played the game, right," rookie manager Joe Girardi joked of the initial lineups when baseball was started. "That was modern day for somebody."

Just because the players are young, Girardi sees quality in the starting lineup.

"It's amazing," Girardi said of his squad being so young. "But that just means that they are young. It doesn't mean that they can't play."

Ramirez, a prize shortstop, led off in Monday's opener at Houston.

"I've been waiting for this day for a long time," Ramirez said. "It's kind of impressive. I'm happy. I feel confident."

Reed started in center field over Reggie Abercrombie, another rookie who likely will be in the lineup Tuesday against left-handed pitcher Andy Pettitte.

"It's a good opportunity," Reed said. "You have to play hard and forget about everybody being a rookie. You just have to play hard, and not worry about what everybody thinks. We have a pretty good team. We're aggressive."

Along with having six rookies starting, the average age of the starting nine Monday was 24.4 years old.

In all, 11 rookies are on the roster.

Contract extensions: Marlins management has been able to put together three straight winning seasons, including the 2003 World Series championship.

The organization is keeping the front office in tact.

On Monday, the Marlins announced general manager Admin Beinfest, assistant general manager Mike Hill, vice president of player development and scouting Jim Fleming and vice president of player personnel Dan Jennings have had their contracts extended through the 2010 season.

Going through a retooling process, the front office had a difficult task of trading off high-profile and high-priced players because of financial reasons.

Through various trades, the Marlins acquired a number of promising prospects. The team remains committed to building around pitching.

"As always, we believe pitching wins," Beinfest said. "We were very happy with the young pitchers we were able to acquire in the offseason. Obviously, our goal is to be championship quality.

"We were able to do that a few years ago and win it all. Hopefully, some of the building blocks are here."

German claimed: Even on Opening Day, the Marlins were searching for ways to bring in new players. On Monday, right-hander reliever Franklyn German was claimed off waivers from the Tigers.

The 6-foot-7, 260-pounder played from 2002-2005 for the Tigers, compiling an 8-4 record in 126 career games. He's had an issue of control, issuing 92 career walks along with 93 strikeouts. In Spring Training, he went 1-0 with an 8.10 ERA in 10 innings, striking out eight while walking six and hitting two batters.

To make room for German, right-handed reliever Nate Bump was designated for assignment.

Coaching debuts: Much is made over the Marlins having 11 rookies on their roster and six in Monday's starting lineup. But two members of Girardi's staff -- third base coach Bobby Meacham and bullpen coach Mike Harkey -- also made their coaching debuts at the big-league level on Monday.

Both have coached at the Minor League level.

Meacham has managed in the Minor Leagues. His managerial debut was in 1992 with the Royals' Class-A Eugene club. Last year, Harkey was the pitching coach for the Padres' Double-A Mobile affiliate.

"I fit right in, don't I?" Meacham joked of being around a team of rookies. "I'm having fun. I learned from playing in New York, if you don't have fun out there, it's miserable. It's exciting and a lot of pressure."

A former infielder with the Yankees, Meacham always wanted to coach at the big-league level. A close friend of Girardi, he got his break in Florida.

From his experiences, Meacham says it is important to keep young players loose.

"You have to laugh about things," Meacham said. "Knowing full well, they are going to be a little nervous. You just have to keep talking to them and making them know this is the same old game."

First AB homers: Three of the players in the starting lineup Monday hit home runs in their first Major League at-bats.

On Sept. 15, 2002 while with the White Sox, catcher Miguel Olivo connected on a three-run homer off Pettitte at Yankee Stadium.

Jacobs connected on a three-run pinch-hit homer while with the Mets last Aug. 21. He went deep off Washington's Esteban Loaiza.

And on Aug. 31, Hermida made history with a pinch-hit grand slam his first time up, a shot off St. Louis' Al Reyes.

Additionally, Miguel Cabrera homered in his first Major League game, in 2003. But it wasn't his first at-bat.

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/art...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

It felt very strange watching the new marlins play tonight. I felt like I knew the D-train and cabs for years compaired to the rest of the new boys. Also, it seems that Cabs was not on his game tonight, and also looked pissed off too. The D-train looked okay, he did a good job. :thumbup

It felt very strange watching the new marlins play tonight. I felt like I knew the D-train and cabs for years compaired to the rest of the new boys. Also, it seems that Cabs was not on his game tonight, and also looked pissed off too. The D-train looked okay.

Cabs was very impressive at 3B tonight!

It felt very strange watching the new marlins play tonight. I felt like I knew the D-train and cabs for years compaired to the rest of the new boys. Also, it seems that Cabs was not on his game tonight, and also looked pissed off too. The D-train looked okay, he did a good job. :thumbup

I don't want to sound condescending, but haven't we known Cabs and Willis for years? (4th season for both)