Players comments on todays game.

Hollyberry

NEW YORK -- Performing well and having little to show for it just fueled the frustrations of the Marlins' first road trip.

Sunday afternoon's loss was another prime example of the young club hanging tough, only to fall short in a heartbreaker.

David Wright's three RBIs, the last coming on a sacrifice fly in the ninth inning, lifted the Mets to a 3-2 comeback victory over the Marlins in front of 55,255 at Shea Stadium.

Rained out on Saturday, the Marlins dropped two straight to the Mets to fall to 1-4 on the season. Now, after a road swing that started in Houston, the Marlins are off on Monday before taking on the Padres in their home opener on Tuesday.

"It's a frustrating 1-4 because it could have been 4-1," first-year manager Joe Girardi said. "In the four losses, three of the losses, we were one hit away from winning the game."

The Mets, for their part, were able to overcome a two-run deficit and then produced the winning run against rookie reliever Carlos Martinez.

The 24-year-old Dominican got into immediate trouble in the ninth inning, walking Carlos Beltran before Carlos Delgado's single to right put runners on the corners. With the outfield in, Wright lifted Martinez's first pitch to right field, easily scoring Beltran.

Billy Wagner, who tossed a scoreless ninth inning, collected the win for New York.

As he has been throughout his career against the Mets, Dontrelle Willis was brilliant in his eight innings of work. The D-Train allowed two runs on seven hits. He remains 8-1 lifetime in games against the Mets and 8-0 in career April starts.

Willis kept the Mets scoreless until the seventh inning. Paul Lo Duca started the rally with a single to right on the 11th pitch of his at-bat. Beltran followed with a single, and after both runners advanced on Delgado's groundout, Wright laced a two-run triple. Right fielder Jeremy Hermida charged the hard liner, which dipped under his glove. Wright was stranded at third when second baseman Dan Uggla made a nice backhanded stab up the middle and a strong throw to rob Victor Diaz of a single to center.

"It was one of those in-betweens," Hermida said of the sinking liner. "I could have played it back. But two runs may have scored on that, too. You've got to make your mind up."

One thing about the rookie-laden Marlins' roster, they play aggressively. Hermida felt he may have gotten off to a late start, but he was determined to give it his all in trying to make a lunging play.

"I like the way we're playing baseball right now," Willis said. "We're just falling short in some situations, but we're right there in the thick of things to the very end. But I'm definitely pleased with the effort level.

"In the seventh, when they scored two runs, it could easily have turned into five runs. We stayed composed. It starts with me staying confident and telling them that everything is going to be OK. We're fighting and clawing every step of the way."

Girardi has experience being on a 1-4 team. When he was a catcher for the Yankees in 1998, that team also won just one of their first five. Those Yankees went on to win 114 games, plus 11 in the playoffs, and capture the World Series title.

"I was 1-4, and we won 125 games," Girardi said. "I'll take 125 wins."

For now, the Marlins are just looking to snap their three-game slide.

The Marlins had some late-inning chances, having a runner on second in the last three innings. In the ninth against Wagner, Chris Aguila drew a two-out walk and stole second. The Marlins got a break when shortstop Jose Reyes made a high throw to first base on Hanley Ramirez's grounder. The error put two runners on, but Hermida grounded out sharply to second base.

"It's learning how to hit in those situations when the game is on the line," Girardi said. "They'll learn because they're going to get a lot of chances. That's the one thing around here -- they're going to get a lot of chances.

"That's all you can ask for is the effort. We'll figure it out. They're going to figure it out."

Held hitless by Tom Glavine through 3 2/3 innings, the Marlins got on the board in the sixth inning on Josh Willingham's two-run double to right-center. Ramirez doubled to open the inning, and he moved to third on Hermida's sacrifice bunt. After an intentional walk to Miguel Cabrera, Willingham doubled. Cabrera ran through third-base coach Bobby Meacham's hold sign and scored.

The runs were the Marlins' first this season in a game Willis started, a span of 15 scoreless innings. In the season opener, the Marlins were shut out, 1-0, at Houston. Willis threw five scoreless innings that day, but wasn't involved in the decision. "We're playing tough baseball, [but] things aren't going our way," Willis said. "We had certain situations where things could have struck, and they didn't. That's just how the game is. I feel strong. I feel confident. That's really all I could really ask."

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

Just thought I would share. Its nice to see Dontrelle staying positive after a tough loss.

If they can hang in there, I have a feeling that we are going to see this team start to pull a few of these 1 run games as they mature. It won't happen overnight, but considering how young this team is and the situation they were thrown into, I think they are playing better than anyone expected.

If they can hang in there, I have a feeling that we are going to see this team start to pull a few of these 1 run games as they mature. It won't happen overnight, but considering how young this team is and the situation they were thrown into, I think they are playing better than anyone expected.

Amen brother, preach it on ! :thumbup