Notes: Girardi shuffles rotation

Ralph

PHILADELPHIA -- Thursday's off-day allowed the Marlins to shuffle their rotation a bit to split up throwing their three left-handers.

The change will impact Sunday and Monday.

Manager Joe Girardi has flip-flopped Jason Vargas and Brian Moehler. So the reworked rotation will have the left-handed Vargas facing the Phillies on Sunday.

Moehler, meanwhile, has been pushed back a day and will open the series with the Cubs on Monday at Wrigley Field.

Because the team was off on Thursday, Vargas will be going on five days' rest when he takes the mound Sunday at Citizens Bank Park. The lefty last threw in Cincinnati on Tuesday, when he wasn't involved in the decision.

Moehler, the veteran right-hander who has struggled, will get an extra day to prepare for the Cubs. Moehler last threw on Monday in Cincinnati, and he will be going on six days' rest.

Now the Marlins will go with Moehler, Dontrelle Willis (Tuesday) and Scott Olsen (Wednesday) in the Cubs series.

"I just think it's good to give teams different looks," Girardi said. "Obviously, the rotation you would love to have, you'd love to have some power pitchers, finesse pitchers, left-handed pitchers and right-handed pitchers, so they never get the same look two days in a row. That's what you'd like to do."

Walking the line: Inexperience is part of the problem in why the Marlins rank 15th out of 16 National League teams in walks allowed.

Entering Friday, the Marlins' 69 walks allowed are two fewer than what the Giants have surrendered.

"It's a concern," Girardi said. "I just think, though, it's more of the maturation process. They're asked to pitch at the top level. Some of them are really young."

Girardi is seeking progress on a week-to-week basis, and feels if the young pitchers make the adjustments, they will see better results.

"To me, do we get better each week?" Girardi said. "Do we get better each month? That's what I want to look at. When you come to parks like this, you can't walk them.

"Some of our guys haven't really learned how to put people away. We get ahead of hitters. That's just learning how to put hitters away. And being able to make your pitch. You can say, we'll call the pitches, but they still have to make the pitch."

Even the ace of the staff has been guilty of issuing a few too many walks. In his last start, Willis walked four in six innings.

"He's thrown more pitches," Girardi said. "I think Dontrelle is trying too hard. I think he's thinking, 'I have to win. I'm the ace, and I have to win.' You can't approach it that way."

Another A-Rod? When Marlins backup infielder Alfredo Amezaga sees rookie shortstop Hanley Ramirez, he believes he is looking at a future superstar.

"To me, he's one of the best guys I've ever seen at this stage of his career," Amezaga said. "He can be another Alex Rodriguez or better than him. This kid is coming up from Double-A. What he's doing is amazing."

Ramirez currently ranks among the league leaders in batting average and hits. He also is making some youthful mistakes in the field, resulting in a few errors.

Amezaga said Ramirez is tough on himself when he makes a mistake. So the veteran tries to encourage the rookie, urging him to stay positive.

"I'm trying to help him build his confidence," Amezaga said. "He can do a lot of things. He can field. He can hit. He can run. He has everything. All he needs in experience."

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

It's good because we Bump Moehler back but it's bad because he gets the ESPN game... :plain

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.