Outdoor Life Network changing its name to Versus

STAMFORD, Conn. ? (AP) ? The Outdoor Life Network is changing its name to Versus.

The new name will take effect in September, in time for the NHL season, OLN announced Monday.

"Versus is a word that perfectly captures the essence of our brand. It is immediate shorthand for competition and has a range that can suit everything from stick and ball sports, to bull riding, to field sports,'' network President Gavin Harvey said. "We felt it was a slam dunk, and sports fans we talked to all agreed.''

OLN, which began soliciting suggestions for a new name about a year ago, said Versus was chosen ??not only for its bold nature, but because it universally evokes competition.''

"Whether it is man versus man, man versus beast or team versus team, the channel will celebrate sports at its best, where athletes and sportsmen compete at their highest levels with the greatest passion,'' the network said in a statement.

Before acquiring the rights to the cable broadcasts of NHL games, OLN was best known for covering Lance Armstrong and the Tour de France.

I bashed OLN when they got the NHL but I'm on board now, now that their set to launch a large boxing show(slightly smaller than HBO or Showtime but bigger than the ESPN Cards), in assosiation with Top Rank, which will also include a massive tape library of classic fights.

Which could explain, their new name.

They have had very good coverage of the Hockey playoffs so far, I will give them that.

I heard they were milliseconds away from landing the NFL as well, but the NFL backed out at the very last possible moment. Comcast, who I believe they are owned by, is definitely willing to shell out the bucks to make this a big network. You'll probably see MLB or the NBA move to "Versus" in the near future.

OLN is now back on Dish Channel 151! WOOOT! NHL Hockey for me!

Tampa Bay hosts Ottawa tonight on OLN...Panthers TV man Dave Strader with the call.

I get the game on Sun Sports (I am in Panthers and Lightning Territory), but OLN with Strader is better.

Game 2 is Detroit-Edmonton