other stadiums

guys just to let you know. loria must really be pocket strapped becuase i just read on mlb.com that the new nationals waterfront stadium is going to cost them a whopping 711 million dollars!!!!!! now what the hell are they getting for that kind of money? how much money do we really need here?

The Nats owner is not paying that. Right now, they aren't even responsible for cost overruns. The $611M is all from DC, to be repaid through taxes on large businesses and ballpark revenues.

The ballpark costs as much as it does because of the requests made by MLB to maximize revenues. There's going to be nearly 100 suites in the new ballpark.

Along with materials, the largest costs for stadiums are land and labor. Those flunctuate from market to market so it's not ideal to compare the two.

The state senate also approved a stadium for the twins that will cost $522 million. Of those only $130 will be from the twins, so they are also getting most of it from the state.

Why is it so difficult for Florida to do the same, and the Marlins will put more than $130 million for it.

It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. The Twins are putting $130 million up before the stadium even opens. Then $10 million a year in rent. The rent does not count towards the "team contribution. On the other hand, the Marlins are putting $30 million up front and $182 million in rent. Loria can't afford to do what the Twins are doing.

Let's be honest , Loria simply doesnt have the money to be a long term mlb owner , I worry when we get a new stadium this guy will dip into his big bag of excuses a continue to field teams on the cheap . Btw went to to all 3 games this weekend against the devil rays if the marlins had the trop despite the fact it is not one of the best stadiums out there the marlins would draw 30k a night , this was the first time I have watched a marlins game and didnt leave wet from rain , burned from the sun and heat , and left with some money in my pocket as i did not have to spend 35 bucks on water to prevent dehydration . I like what the new ownership is doing with the rays the marlins ownership should take some notes

Btw went to to all 3 games this weekend against the devil rays if the marlins had the trop despite the fact it is not one of the best stadiums out there the marlins would draw 30k a night , this was the first time I have watched a marlins game and didnt leave wet from rain , burned from the sun and heat , and left with some money in my pocket as i did not have to spend 35 bucks on water to prevent dehydration . I like what the new ownership is doing with the rays the marlins ownership should take some notes

Yes...interesting info indeed. I heard they are offering free parking all season. Hopefully a new stadium will allow Loria & Co to become more creative - since they will be in control of all things stadium related.

:thumbup