Pierzynski's leading the AL final vote

poptart

CHICAGO ? (AP) ? White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski edged out Minnesota rookie pitcher Francisco Liriano for the final AL All-Star spot, while NL batting leader Nomar Garciaparra earned the last NL slot Thursday in fan voting on the Internet.

AL manager Ozzie Guillen will now have seven of his own Chicago players on the roster.

Pierzynski, a catalyst as the White Sox won the World Series last year, is hitting .326 with five home runs and 28 RBIs. Liriano also got strong support after going 9-1 with a 1.99 ERA.

Garciaparra tops the NL in hitting at .359, with 10 home runs and 49 RBIs. In his first year with the Los Angeles Dodgers, he's playing first base.

The All-Star game will be Tuesday night in Pittsburgh. The rosters were announced Sunday, save for the last two players to be picked in fan voting on the Internet.

hafner got screwed, too.

he's only having one of the most absurd seasons ever offensively, leading the entire AL in OPS and second in the bigs only to pujols.

he's hitting .319, with 24 HR's, a .461 OBP, and a 1.113 OPS.

jesus christ, that's ungodly.

Guest FishFanInPA

absolutely ridiculous that the public voted for that a**hole.

that "a**hole" brought you Nathan, Boof and Liriano, you should be thanking him.

He didnt do sh*t.....

Guest FishFanInPA

The Twins were my radio show's adopted team in Syracuse back when i was a freshman....plus i'm a huge fan of Luis......I'd say their my AL team.

If fans get to vote for that final spot, simply being named to the vote should make a player "all-star eligible."

Where I'm going with this is a lot of problems would be solved if Liriano straight up made it and Redman was on the vote, since really Pierzinsky and Liriano both deserved it.

Here are three steps to fix the all-star game and still let the fans vote:

Teams shall have no more than 5 representatives, and in the event 3 or more starters are voted by the fans, they're capped at the voted starters (no reserves, period).

Being placed on the final ballot shall count as an "appearance" for the sake of every team having one. If people really want to see the Mark Redman's of the world, they'll vote him in.

Managers will no longer have the right to name more than one player from their own team when naming reserves.

This way you don't have teams like the White Sox taking up about 1/3 of the AL roster, or teams like the Mets sending undeserving starters (like LoDuca) or fringe backups (like Pedro).

Plus, it makes the fans final vote fun while ensuring that super-snubs like Liriano don't happen because of undeserving players having to make it and creating a position crunch. There will always be a Hafner type snubbing, it's just the nature of the All-Star game...afterall, it has to be said he is a DH and this game is in the NL.