Jason Schmidt may not pitch in All Star game

Skully

Not sure if this means he just won't pitch, or won't go at all... It'll kinda suck if he doesn't go, being the only Giants All Star... But I love the line at the end of this story. Schmidt is all about the Giants...

PITTSBURGH -- Jason Schmidt, the lone Giants representative on the National League team in this year's All-Star Game, was expected to be a late arrival here on Monday.

The right-hander, who is scheduled to make his third All-Star appearance on Tuesday night at PNC Park, apparently traveled home with the team to San Francisco after Sunday's 3-1 loss to the Dodgers in Los Angeles. Schmidt was the losing pitcher in that game and didn't leave the Bay Area until Monday morning, a Major League Baseball spokesman said. Schmidt missed Monday's midday interview session.

After Schmidt pitched six innings on Sunday, tossing 94 pitches and allowing three runs on seven hits, the question was still open regarding whether he would pitch in the annual Midsummer Classic.

"I'm going to wait and try to figure it out myself," Schmidt said after Sunday's game. "It's one of those things where you want to [pitch], but [you] may need the rest. I don't know yet, I really don't know. I don't think it would be that harmful. What if I didn't [pitch] and took the extra time? Would it make me that much stronger?"

Mets left-hander Tom Glavine withdrew from the All-Star Game for that reason -- pitching into the seventh inning in New York on Sunday -- giving his spot to Milwaukee's Chris Capuano.

Schmidt, who has had a history of shoulder, arm and hamstring problems, has already thrown 126 1/3 innings this season.

He's 6-5 with a 2.78 ERA and 105 strikeouts, including a franchise record-tying 16 whiffs on June 6 in a complete-game, 2-1 victory over the Florida Marlins at AT&T Park. Christy Mathewson set the original record in 1904.

After a slow April in which he went 1-2, the 33-year-old Schmidt was superlative in May, going 4-0 with 1.17 ERA in his six starts. He was 5-1 for the two-month period of May and June, although he hasn't won a game since that historic night against the Marlins, going 0-3 with three no-decisions in his last six starts.

Complete All-Star Game coverage >Making this particular All-Star Game even more meaningful for Schmidt is the fact that he played nearly six seasons in Pittsburgh, having been traded by the Pirates to the Giants midway through the 2001 season. The veteran, now in his 12th season, has been in San Francisco ever since, although he can file for free agency at the end of the postseason.

At this point, Schmidt left no doubt where his loyalty lies.

"It's tough to go down there and not pitch," he said. "But I owe everything to this team to come back as strong as I can. It's not always about personal gain. Winning for this team -- that's what we're here to do."

There is a chance JJ is picked if Schmidt drops out. As far as I know no replacement was named for Jose Reyes who pulled out yesterday. So if Garner picks Omar Vizquel to take Reyes spot, that would leave the possibility open.

Eckstein has already been named to replace him.

There is a chance JJ is picked if Schmidt drops out. As far as I know no replacement was named for Jose Reyes who pulled out yesterday. So if Garner picks Omar Vizquel to take Reyes spot, that would leave the possibility open.

Eckstein has already been named to replace him.

Right. The news broke that Eckstein was named after I posted that.