Arena out as U.S. coach after eight years

MrAndMrsFish

NEW YORK ? (AP) ? Bruce Arena is out as coach of the United States men's soccer team less than three weeks after the Americans' first-round exit from the World Cup.

U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati said Friday that Arena's contract would not be renewed when it runs out at the end of the year. A search for a replacement will begin immediately, Gulati said, adding that no potential candidates have been contacted.

Arena, who coached the U.S. for eight years, leaves as the most successful coach in the history of the national team, having won more than twice as many games (71) as any of his predecessors.

He guided the United States to two CONCACAF Gold Cup titles and two straight appearances in the World Cup. But the latest trip to soccer's biggest tournament was a disappointment, with the United States being eliminated following a 2-1 loss to Ghana in the first round in Germany.

"Eight years is a long period,'' Gulati said. "I'm not saying we need to change direction, the direction Bruce set is very positive. But having a fresh approach, after eight years, which is a very long time, is the strongest factor.''

Gulati praised Arena for his accomplishments and said he had done "an extraordinary job.''

"I am proud of how far the organization has come over the last eight years, and I am extremely optimistic about the future of the sport in our country,'' Arena said in a statement released by U.S. Soccer. "As for me, I am planning to take some time off to weigh my future opportunities.''

This should have happened sooner, but good.

The thing with Arena is, I don't like him as a coach, but I can't really hate on the direction he's put American soccer on. We've got good programs and good young stars coming up the ranks and he certainly left the whole enterprise better than he found it.

not that i really follow or like soccer too much...but who does everyone think will be our next coach? also...again because i dont follow the sport too much...what does a national coach do between cups? does he stay with the team, coach other things, does the team seperate for MLS or varios other tournies or what? thanks for anyone who can answer my questions

not that i really follow or like soccer too much...but who does everyone think will be our next coach? also...again because i dont follow the sport too much...what does a national coach do between cups? does he stay with the team, coach other things, does the team seperate for MLS or varios other tournies or what? thanks for anyone who can answer my questions

To answer some of your questions......

There are several national matches in between Cups (not to mention that qualifying for the Cup goes on for approximately 3 years). So there is plenty to do and more.

As far as Arena not being renewed, I think we all knew that was coming and I think its the right move.

Arena was a good coach, although I think that some of his decisions made during the WC were downright questionable. We all question coaches at many different times, but the choices not to use some of the more athletic subs at times and playing Beasley on the right, along with Lewis in the D were just bad decisions. I will still look back on Bruce Arena as being a positive and still think he is a good soccer coach.

I wish the US would get a more aggressive, athletic-oriented coach. In the US we are not playing with the same level of athletes in terms of size or strength, so we must find a way to be more athletic. Have a much more aggressive midfield when the ball is on our offensive half and have strikers who can really handle the ball. I hope we adapt more of a South-American style of play. We can't compete with the bigger, more aggressive European teams at this point.

SECAUCUS, N.J. ? (AP) ? Bruce Arena didn't have to wait long to find a new job.

The former U.S. national team coach was hired by Major League Soccer's New York Red Bulls on Tuesday. Last Friday, the U.S. Soccer Federation opted not to renew Arena's contract with the national team.

Arena will replace interim coach Richie Williams, who was elevated to the top spot when head coach Mo Johnston was fired on June 27. In five games under Williams, New York was 1-3-1.

The Red Bulls are 3-6-8 this season ? the fewest wins in the league ? and are last in the Eastern Conference with 17 points. Only the Western Conference's Real Salt Lake has fewer points.

Arena won more than twice as many games than any other U.S. coach and led the team to the quarterfinals at the 2002 World Cup, the team's best showing. But the U.S. failed to advance to the second round in Germany this summer after losses to the Czech Republic and Ghana and a draw with eventual champion Italy.

In 130 games with the national team, Arena was 71-30-29. Before that, he won or shared five NCAA titles as coach of Virginia, won two MLS championships with D.C. United and also won the CONCACAF Champions Cup with D.C.

Didn't take him long to land a job....good luck turning around that franchise