Red Sox give Beckett three-year extension

MrAndMrsFish

BOSTON ? (AP) ? Boston Red Sox right-hander Josh Beckett agreed to a three-year contract extension on Wednesday ? then went out and beat the Kansas City Royals.

General manager Theo Epstein told manager Terry Francona it was OK to announce the deal in his postgame meeting with reporters.

"He threw the ball so well, I think Theo just gave him a three-year deal,'' Francona said.

After reporters chuckled, he added: "I'm serious.''

Well, almost serious. Actually, the deal was worked out on Tuesday night.

Financial terms were not immediately available, but Epstein said the deal runs through 2009 with a club option for 2010 that could become guaranteed if Beckett reaches certain performance clauses.

Beckett, acquired from the Florida Marlins in a seven-player trade on Thanksgiving, settled his arbitration

case this spring for $4,325,000.

He was alot better with Mirabelli behind the plate then Varitek today and for the first time in a long time he wasn't scared to throw the breaking ball and shyed away from the 94 mph meatball down the plate which has led to a ton of opposing home runs. Hopefully he will continue to adjust and Varitek can start getting on the same page and not calling for FB, FB, FB.

I like the deal, we probably got him for cheaper (speculation) then what he would have made on the open market.

The total guaranteed value of Beckett's contract is $30 million. Here's how it breaks down:

$2 million signing bonus

$6 million salary for 2007

$9.5 million salary for 2008

$10.5 million salary for 2009

$12 million at club option for 2010. The option becomes automatic if Beckett makes 28 starts in 2009 or he has a total of 56 starts in 2008 and 2009.

from sosh.com

The total guaranteed value of Beckett's contract is $30 million. Here's how it breaks down:

$2 million signing bonus

$12 million at club option for 2010. The option becomes automatic if Beckett makes 28 starts in 2009 or he has a total of 56 starts in 2008 and 2009.

from sosh.com

That's it?!?!?!?!?!

f*** YOU YOU PIECE OF CRAP MIKE LOWELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banghead

Not suprising. He is the heir apparent to Schilling as the ace of Boston's staff. I expect him to stay in Boston for a long time to come.

Boston is going to be in the dumps if they expect Beckett to be their ace.

Jon Lester, despite his terrible WHIP, and Jon Papelbon, assuming they move him back to the rotation, will be the aces of the Red Sox for years to come. Josh Beckett is really a #3/#4 starter on a good team.

$2 million signing bonus

from sosh.com

HAHA.

Steal, an absolute steal.

Burnett for 5 years around 55 million looks retarded right now as will the contracts given out to Zito and others this off-season.

God bless Theo.

$2 million signing bonus

from sosh.com

HAHA.

Steal, an absolute steal.

Burnett for 5 years around 55 million looks retarded right now as will the contracts given out to Zito and others this off-season.

God bless Theo.

Yep, pretty much.

If he doesn't start pitching better it won't be a steal.

A player with his stuff, his success at Fenway, and having not yet reached his prime is a steal in every sense of the word for that kind of dough.

In this day in age when guys like Matt Clement, Bartolo Colon, Odalis Perez, Greg Maddux, Paul Byrd, Kevin Millwood, Jon Lieber and Randy Wolf make more then Beckett will next year is a steal anytime of the week.

Here is some more on the deal from the Boston Globe.

July 19, 2006

Beckett, Theo talk deal

By Christopher L. Gasper, Globe Staff

Josh Beckett celebrated his new three-year deal in style. The Sox righthander, who signed a new contract that will keep him with the team at least through the 2009 season, shutout the Kansas City Royals over eight innings. He gave up four hits, striking out seven and walking none to earn his 12th victory. The Sox swept the three-game set with their second straight 1-0 victory.

But the big news was Beckett's new deal.

"It's something that's been weighing on me," said Beckett of his contract situation. "We've been talking for awhile and it's nice to get it over with and move on. Actually, we didn't finish it until last night.

"I'm happy here. We've got the greatest fans in the world, and it was a deal where it gives me security and that's always a big thing, but it was also that I wanted to stay here and play in front of these fans and at this stadium. It's a good deal."

Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said that the team envisions Beckett as one of the cornerstones of the pitching staff for years to come. Beckett would not have been eligible for free agency until after next season, but the Sox wanted to lock him up long-term before the price went up, especially with Curt Schilling saying he will retire following next season.

"We're very confident that Josh is going to be a top-of-the-rotation starter over the next many years, but certainly for the length of this contract," said Epstein. "And we were able to get numbers that we were comfortable with and that are fair to Josh. So, we didn't want to wait and let someone else change the market for us."

Beckett, who outlasted Kansas City's Mark Redman in a pitchers' duel on the strength of Manny Ramirez's solo homer in the fourth, said he's comfortable serving as Schilling's successor as staff ace.

"It's something I've done in the past and something I want," said Beckett. "I'm not content to be a No. 4 or a No. 5 starter. I want the ball in the first game of the playoffs or Opening Day and the competition of going against other No. 1 [starters].

Honestly, if Loria and Co. knew that they could have signed Beckett for this kind of deal (of course, he probably would have never signed this with Fish), there is a chance they might not have ever traded him. The $50 million demands of AJ probably gave them nightmares of what it would cost to lock-up Beckett. It'll probably cost the Fish just as much (over the three years) to buy out D-Train's remaining arb. years.

Seriously, this is an absolute steal for the BoSox. Even if you think he is mediocre, this is less than CARL PAVANO (didn't he sign a guaranteed 4 year, $40 million dollar deal in 2004?).

Wow...I'm amazed.

This will backfire on the Red Sox. Because Josh will finally get exposed as an inconsistent starter. I mean one start he is great and the next he becomes batting practice. Just check his ERA. I think Josh should have waited for him to be on the market.Not just that but, his blister history is just all to risky to sign him for that type of deal. But, it is nice to see a player take less than they can make to stay in their city.

Not suprising. He is the heir apparent to Schilling as the ace of Boston's staff. I expect him to stay in Boston for a long time to come.

Boston is going to be in the dumps if they expect Beckett to be their ace.

Jon Lester, despite his terrible WHIP, and Jon Papelbon, assuming they move him back to the rotation, will be the aces of the Red Sox for years to come. Josh Beckett is really a #3/#4 starter on a good team.

haha That's a joke. Beckett has ace stuff and is a big game pitcher. He will thrive with a big lineup behind him for years to come. If he stays healthy, I expect the Sox to win multiple rings.

I really dont think that beckett is that interested in money, he never even talked about it here and im pretty sure that if he wouldnt have been traded he would have been a part of the marlins organization for a long time

great news red sox

go get'em becks

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Have you ever met the guy or heard an interview? He is (like 90% of baseball) all about money.

I really dont think that beckett is that interested in money, he never even talked about it here and im pretty sure that if he wouldnt have been traded he would have been a part of the marlins organization for a long time

great news red sox

go get'em becks

Have you ever met the guy or heard an interview? He is (like 90% of baseball) all about money.

yeah actually I have met him and actually talked to him about that

its not like the marlins were giving him chump change to begin with

great news red sox

go get'em becks

yeah actually I have met him and actually talked to him about that

its not like the marlins were giving him chump change to begin with

Josh isn't going to say to a fan "Yeah, I only care about money. I really hate baseball."

He's going to tell you what you want to hear, "I love this game. I'll do anything to win. Money doesn't matter to me."