Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Contender

Featured Replies

I caught the first episode around 3 in the morning. It was very Burnettesque(?) but it all look planned to me. It's a good show though.

No, but anything that gets the sport attention, I'm happy with.

 

They have a real solid cast this year highlighted by former world champion, Steve Forbes, and serious contender, Ebo Elder.

I tend to hate reality TV, and quite enjoy boxing so I didn't know where I'd land on this show. Honestly, I like it but I could easily see myself just tuning in for the second half-hour to see the fight and its immediate buildup instead of all the fluff they throw in the first half-hour.

 

Oh and it's on at 10:00 pm on Tuesdays. Although I'm sure ESPN is going to show re-runs as often as that damn World Series of Poker :plain

of course it takes forever to get to the boxing - that is kind of the point of it - not everyone is interested in fighting for fighting sake - personally I could live with a half hour program showing the full fight - but that's just me

 

my wife loves the program because you get the back-history of these guys, learn their personalities and get to pick favorites - which, is what a lot of us do over the course of these guys careers

 

also looks like they cut out the challenges this year - i enjoyed them last year, but they didn't seem to have much impact

I love this show ive seen all 3 episodes and really think its great and have no complaints at all.

Im hoping Gary "Tiger" Balletto wins it all. Give em hell kid...

 

also im really glad Torres is out, good fighter but a bad attitude and he was just real stupid.

  • Author

I love this show ive seen all 3 episodes and really think its great and have no complaints at all.

Im hoping Gary "Tiger" Balletto wins it all. Give em hell kid...

 

also im really glad Torres is out, good fighter but a bad attitude and he was just real stupid.

 

He's good? I don't watch much boxing but I don't think picking your opponent up and throwing him down when you're about to get kocked on your ass is too good. I could be wrong, though.

 

New episode tonight.

The boxing along with the score are easily some of the best parts of this show. I've only seen two epsiodes but I find myself really getting behind a guy and getting more emotionally involved with that music playing, etc.

 

Kudos to whoever did the score.

Well, I just watched the first three episodes, I am now hooked.

 

My only gripe, is that I can't score the fights myself because of the editing, but the fact is you're tailoring the show to a wide audience, not just a boxing audience.

 

My boy, is Andre Eason(showed tremendous heart, in a losing effort to Juan Urango, last year), but I doubt he wins. I'll go with Steve Forbes, not exactly a daring pick, given his professional credentials. However, I wouldn't be shocked if he loses. He hasn't been able to match his earlier success, when he won the IBF title.

i was hooked on this last year as well - really am enjoying this season and so far in all 3 fights the guy I wanted to pull it off has

I wish there were some way they could show the entire fight. Like on ESPN Motion. Either way, I couldn't believe they gave Billetto the decision, he was way out boxed and was out on his feet. I thought Torres was robbed big time.

 

If I had to choose a winner, I'd say Noberto Bravo. I love Mexican boxers. Technically sound but can wail.

  • Author

I wish there were some way they could show the entire fight. Like on ESPN Motion. Either way, I couldn't believe they gave Billetto the decision, he was way out boxed and was out on his feet. I thought Torres was robbed big time.

 

If I had to choose a winner, I'd say Noberto Bravo. I love Mexican boxers. Technically sound but can wail.

 

Are you serious, dude? Torres was off his game, winking at the crowd. At one point, he picked up Balletto and threw him down because he was in trouble and did not know what to do. Then, when it looked like he had Balletto beat, he fell on his ass by himself.

 

Like Gallagher said, he has a lot to learn. Not ready for this yet.

torres should of beat him, but from what they showed clearly didn't - i don't think bravo has enough in him though

Torres should have won the fight, it was a close fight but he was quicker, landed more accurately, and really dominated the flow of the fight. Billetto landed the harder shots but they were few and far between. Like I said, they really need to show the entire fights somewhere.

that was a pretty good fight, no doubt that (well for the ones who saw it know who won) was going to win it after what happened in the 1st round. i was very impressed.

 

Eck, Balleto Vs Bravo? Neither man is a true world class fighter, both have lost, all their fights when they've been in the ring with quality opposition, and whoever wins this fight, will probably be blasted away in the Semi's when we're dealing with Genuine world class fighters.

 

Andre, as expected, showed a lot of heart tonight, and while the guy's never going to be a champion, he will upset some people in his career. He's already done it against quality prospect Devin Rodriguez, and will probably do it again before his career is over. Wright, has some genuine skills, it's hard to gauge where he's at though, because he's only fought bums, since turning pro. The Quarter's will be his true test. I guess now that Andre's gone, Jeff "Hell Raza" Fraza is my boy. He's trained by the ultimate warrior, Irish Mickey Ward, and he's gone tremendous heart. I'll take him to make it to the quarter's or even the Semi's depending on the match up(He can beat K-9, I doubt he could take the likes of Elder, Forbes, or Brewer.

 

Overall, good show tonight, looking forward to Sugar Shane next week.

 

Good episode tonight, Wright will beat K9. Great fight between Vinroy and Brewer. Brewer could be a force in this tournament, but it was ironic Shane Mosely was a guest this week, because like Shane did in the forrest fight, Brewer was rattled the first time he saw blood. I thought the fight was closer and could have given it to Vinroy, but again I didn't see the entire fight, so I can't make the call. However, they usually show the fighters best shots, I assume all the judges gave Brewer, the last round. From what I saw, Brewer was putting on more pressure but he was only landing glancing shots, not enough to make him a clear winner.

 

What was up with the shot of an Olsen twin? Am I supposed to care she's in attendance?

eh they always show celebs.

 

but ya it was a good fight, i was hoping brewer would win and he did, but ya he looked really rattled when that cut came in. I also think wright will take care of k9, i liked the heat thats going on.

 

im calling a KO in the first 2 rounds, wright over k9

  • Author

eh they always show celebs.

 

but ya it was a good fight, i was hoping brewer would win and he did, but ya he looked really rattled when that cut came in. I also think wright will take care of k9, i liked the heat thats going on.

 

im calling a KO in the first 2 rounds, wright over k9

 

KOs are sadly rare on this show. I think they had one in the first season and that's about it. But I agree -- Wright will kick this K9's ass.

yah KO's are rare, but i can just see it happening, see wright coming out very aggressive, maybe i can say at the minimum a knock down.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.