Al Leiter

GiambiNYY25Fan

Came into Batters Box with his 2 kids to hit in the batting cages... I recognized him when he came up to me at the counter to buy tokens and I said "Dont mind me asking, but are you Al Leiter?" and he said "I am" and I said I am a die hard Yankees fan and I love you on the YES network... he said Thank you. Before he left, I got him to sign a baseball for me. Real nice guy.

Funny story.

I was in a 2 day mini camp with Leiter and Leyritz when I was like 10...I got a signed ball from them for being the best (or 2nd best, don't remember). Aaanyway, two years later I noticed Al's name was kinda fading so in my supreme intelligence, I decided to write over his name with blue ink (it was originally black).

Thankfully he was at Publix for a signing a couple years later and I now have that ball :D

Al Lieter is one of the most down to earth baseball players known to MAN. He is a REAL role model. Back in 1997 I recall him driving up to kids and telling them that if they brought him their new report cards the next grading period he would sign them autographs and bring them in the club house to meet players (my lil cousin was one of them) and what not. Unlike most baseball players kept his promise. And you would think he only did it when he was in the prime of his career? NO! In 2005 Al Lieter stopped more X's than the whole Marlins baseball team all year to sign for kids AND adults respectively. Picture friendly, always smiling, a man with a heart of gold. I love Al Lieter, god bless him, I wish him great things.

Can any of you post some charity events this man has been involved in?

Al Lieter is one of the most down to earth baseball players known to MAN. He is a REAL role model. Back in 1997 I recall him driving up to kids and telling them that if they brought him their new report cards the next grading period he would sign them autographs and bring them in the club house to meet players (my lil cousin was one of them) and what not. Unlike most baseball players kept his promise. And you would think he only did it when he was in the prime of his career? NO! In 2005 Al Lieter stopped more X's than the whole Marlins baseball team all year to sign for kids AND adults respectively. Picture friendly, always smiling, a man with a heart of gold. I love Al Lieter, god bless him, I wish him great things.

I couldn't agree with you more! Al is a tremendous guy. He loves to talk baseball and if you ever engage him in conversation you feel like you're talking to someone you've known all your life. He just has a great personality.

For someone who had a tough childhood and serious issues to deal with at a very young age he never wasted any time feeling sorry for himself. Anyone who is familiar with his background has to admire him. He is a great example of what you can overcome through sheer will, mental strength and determination. An excellent role model.

He has a children's foundation called Leiters Landing.

http://www.leiterslanding.org/

I couldn't agree with you more! Al is a tremendous guy. He loves to talk baseball and if you ever engage him in conversation you feel like you're talking to someone you've known all your life. He just has a great personality.

For someone who had a tough childhood and serious issues to deal with at a very young age he never wasted any time feeling sorry for himself. Anyone who is familiar with his background has to admire him. He is a great example of what you can overcome through sheer will, mental strength and determination. An excellent role model.

He has a children's foundation called Leiters Landing.

http://www.leiterslanding.org/

OMG AND I missed the best part, he actually remembers your NAME, what school you go to if you told him in a previous conversation, he doesn't forget what you tell him, AMAZING.

You're so correct about that... my other employee wasn't feeling good and she had put her head down on the floor behind the counter, and so Al Leiter lifts his head and looks over the counter and asks whats the matter... she said she wasnt feeling good and so he said go home and rest, you shouldnt have to be here then... so on his way out he passed her coming out of the cages and he asked her again how she was feeling... good guy