Marlins alter March 31 exhibition game

MIAMI -- Before opening the season on April 2 against the Nationals at RFK Stadium, the Marlins are making a change of plans. The switch alters Florida's final Spring Training exhibition. Instead of taking on the club's Triple-A Albuquerque squad on March 31 at Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter, the Marlins will be heading to Dayton, Ohio, to play the Reds.

The Marlins and Reds will play on Saturday at 2 p.m. ET at Fifth Third Field, home of the Reds' Class A Dayton Dragons.

The exhibition will be Florida's final tuneup before heading to Washington in preparation for the season opener.

The Marlins begin their 15th season with a three-game road trip at Washington before they make their home opener on Friday, April 6, against the Phillies at Dolphin Stadium.

The Marlins' pitchers and catchers will report to Spring Training at the Roger Dean Stadium complex on Feb. 17.

Florida's spring schedule gets under way on Feb. 27 with its annual meeting with the University of Miami, at 3:05 p.m. ET in Jupiter.

The Marlins' Grapefruit League action begins Feb. 28 against the World Series champion Cardinals, also at Roger Dean Stadium.

LINK

Damn I actually liked when the big club played the minor leaguers for one game at the end of the spring oh well!!!

By my count, atleast a dozen other teams are. Including the White Sox (from Arizona to Atlanta to Chicago), O's and Nats that are traveling out of their way to play as guests in various major and minor league ballparks.

We can always count on your slavish backing of the FO. I don't know the details of each of your dozen or so teams. We're talking about the notion of the Marlins....yoo-hoo, we're down here in South Florida. Does it make sense for the Marlins to spend 6 weeks in spring training in Florida, and then look forward to a long season in South Florida....to go up to Dayton Ohio in March where it might be 35 degrees to play an exhibition game? Why run the added risk that cold weather brings that we could lose any member of our roster to some cold weather related injury? Is this something we can financially afford? This isn't the Chicago White Sox traveling to Atlanta.

That wasn't me supporting the decision. Re-read your post and see how any number of people would disagree with your conclusions. It's nothing and you're twisting it something it's clearly not. For what reason I'm not sure.

However, as to your concerns over the weather, we're opening the year in Washington, that has a climate that I can tell with confidence is closer to that of Dayton, Ohio than South Florida. Before our home opener, we'll have a travel day to adjust to the South Florida climate. That is if it makes any difference at all.

1. It's only logical to assume that there was some financial incentive for the FO to play a game in Dayton, Ohio in March rather than the traditional game here in Florida.

2. The probability of an injury is greater in 1 game in March in Ohio rather than 1 game in March in Florida.

3. This is just a discussion about the one meaningless game...it is irrelevant to talk about weather in Washington or any time to adjust.

4. The Marlins are in a precarious financial situation. We can't afford a pulled hamstring by a roster player.

5. It is my contention that it's greed winning out over the welfare of the team, and I don't think there's another FO in a like situation that would act this way, but I believe Loria was lured by the loot.

6. I hope that in the end everybody comes back as healthy as they left and that's the end of it.

1. It's only logical to assume that there was some financial incentive for the FO to play a game in Dayton, Ohio in March rather than the traditional game here in Florida.

2. The probability of an injury is greater in 1 game in March in Ohio rather than 1 game in March in Florida.

3. This is just a discussion about the one meaningless game...it is irrelevant to talk about weather in Washington or any time to adjust.

4. The Marlins are in a precarious financial situation. We can't afford a pulled hamstring by a roster player.

5. It is my contention that it's greed winning out over the welfare of the team, and I don't think there's another FO in a like situation that would act this way, but I believe Loria was lured by the loot.

6. I hope that in the end everybody comes back as healthy as they left and that's the end of it.

Why? How? does the weather in Dayton cause injuries or something? so much so even if you play just one game there?

& Reggie Abercrombie pulling his hamstring would hardly be the end of the world.

Do you really WANT to take it that far? If so,

1. You'd have to assume so. No one does sh*t without some incentive. But maybe this is costing us money in travel expenses and lost gate money. Maybe our incentive is to expose the team to the people of Dayton, garner favor with the Reds or get a closer eye at one of the Reds' prospects.

2. That's ONLY because it's a new environment, not because of the ballpark or the weather is absolutly more dangerous. The only injury that is more likely in Ohio than Florida is a cold.

3. If there is any meaning to this game at all, it's how it will prepare the Marlins for the season, not the weather or travel or some illogical assumption of injury risk.

4. As the Marlins have proven throughout the Loria ownership, the talent on the field is not directly related to the finances off of it. I believe what you're saying is that the Marlins lack depth at certain positions that would be terrible if a starter went down.

5. That's a pretty strong statement considering you have little to no reason to believe that 1. this helps the Marlins financially, 2. this helps Loria financially, 3. this is a harmful risk for the Marlins, 4. you haven't even bothered to research what other teams are doing. So excuse me for calling you out to offer any reason to prove your contention that the sky is falling.

6. That I can agree with you, but my life is too busy and the Marlins face bigger problems, so I won't be praying to avoid that small chance of injury to that small subset of players whom we ave no replacement for.

You've got to be kidding me. Teams all over the league play their last spring game in locations closer to where there first game will be if theyre starting on the road. Last year we played two games in Texas because we opened in Houston. The reason why the Marlins usually dont do this is because we usually open at home. And most of the guys who play in these games are guys who end up in A or AA.