Gov. Richardson Eyes White House

Dan Marino Forever 13

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson to Announce 2008 Presidential Bid

WASHINGTON ? New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson intends to take the first step toward the Democratic presidential nomination, several officials with knowledge of his plans said Friday.

The former congressman, U.N. ambassador and Energy Department secretary is hoping his extensive resume will fuel an insurgent campaign to become the nation's first Hispanic president.

He plans to announce on Sunday that he will soon file the papers to create a presidential exploratory committee, the officials said. The governor is scheduled to appear on ABC's "This Week."

Richardson's office did not immediately return a call for comment.

Richardson brings a wealth of experience in international affairs that has extended even into his governorship of a small but politically important swing state. He has hosted talks on North Korea's nuclear program in New Mexico and most recently traveled to Sudan to meet with the country's president to press him for an end to the bloodshed in Darfur.

Despite having one of the most varied and impressive portfolios in politics, Richardson enters the race as an underdog. Polling in early voting states shows him ranking near the bottom in a very crowded Democratic field led by Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York and Barack Obama of Illinois, and 2004 vice presidential nominee John Edwards.

Richardson does not have the national fundraising network of some of his rivals in what is bound to be a very expensive race. And he'll have to spend the next two months concentrating on a legislative session in Santa Fe instead of hitting the campaign trail.

But Richardson's decision to form an exploratory committee will allow him to begin raising money and putting together his campaign organization. A decision on whether to formally enter the race is expected in the spring.

I really like him too. Very experienced in international relations. The country could use someone like that in the White House right now to mend all the broken bonds.

Only problem I see is that with the anti-immigration sentiment going around it would be hard for him to get elected and his Spanish Heritage really sticks out in his looks.

From Wiki:

The Senate confirmed Richardson to be President Clinton's Energy Secretary on July 31, 1998. His tenure at Energy was marred by the Wen Ho Lee nuclear espionage scandal. In July 2005 it was alleged by a Federal judge that Richardson had leaked Lee's name to reporters months before the scientist was charged with any crime. Richardson was also sharply criticized by the Senate for his handling of the espionage enquiry. During Senate questioning, Senator Robert Byrd (Democrat-West Virginia) scolded Richardson, stating: "You've ...shown a contempt of Congress that borders on a supreme arrogance... You will never again receive the support of the Senate of the United States for any office to which you might be appointed."

Appointed... or nominated I would suspect.

I live in New Mexico and wouldn't vote for him. I can't stand him. He thinks he is above the law. He has one of the biggest egos I have ever seen and in my opinion he has done a horrible job here. Because of him we are in such a huge debt as a state. His followers say he has done so much to improve the state but to tell you the truth, he really hasen't done that much. We are one of the worst states for poverty, DWI continues to be a huge problem(Don't even bother driving on the roads past 8 PM on the weekends over here). The murder rate has been extremely high, I believe we have been ranked in the top 5 for atleast the last couple years. Not to mention the amount of drugs and gangs we have got in this state, not just in Albuquerque, but in the small, hicky towns.

If he does run for President, I don't care who is running against him, I'm voting for the other candidate.

I live in New Mexico and wouldn't vote for him. I can't stand him. He thinks he is above the law. He has one of the biggest egos I have ever seen and in my opinion he has done a horrible job here. Because of him we are in such a huge debt as a state. His followers say he has done so much to improve the state but to tell you the truth, he really hasen't done that much. We are one of the worst states for poverty, DWI continues to be a huge problem(Don't even bother driving on the roads past 8 PM on the weekends over here). The murder rate has been extremely high, I believe we have been ranked in the top 5 for atleast the last couple years. Not to mention the amount of drugs and gangs we have got in this state, not just in Albuquerque, but in the small, hicky towns.

If he does run for President, I don't care who is running against him, I'm voting for the other candidate.

Bitter Republican?

I think you should state your political leanings because obviously there isnt many people who live in New Mexico that posts on these boards to know how he has done as governer. So we can know how accurate your allegations are.

If I'm not mistaken didnt he just recently get re-elected? He couldnt have done that terrible of a job.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.