April 15, 200719 yr ORLANDO, Fla. -- The University of Central Florida is dropping the word Golden from their team name and starting in June they will simply be known as the Knights, school officials said.The new name and logo will be unveiled June 14, followed a day later by new UCF Knights merchandise. The event is part of a summer-long marketing campaign UCF designed to promote the school's new athletic markings. The university will open a new stadium and convocation center this fall, Athletic Director Keith Tribble said in a statement. "We are now entering into one of the most exciting periods in UCF athletics history," Tribble said. The school got its nickname in 1993 from athletic director Steve Sloan. Looking for a way to boost merchandise sales, Sloan told the school's sports information directors to refer to all athletic teams as "Golden Knights" in what he called an effort to accelerate UCF's popularity. It was a trick Sloan learned while working at other popular schools with colorful names, including the Alabama Crimson Tide, Texas Tech Red Raiders, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets and Duke Blue Devils. LINK
April 16, 200719 yr I saw this one coming. Its sounds awkward saying two names for a team. I read somewhere that Oleary wanted the college to be refered to as Central Florida as apposed to UCF.
April 16, 200719 yr I just saw pictures of the new stadium. It looks pretty nice, however I am not a fan of metal benches. They should have spent a little more and got seats.
April 16, 200719 yr I think for college stadiums, metal benches are the way to go. People oughtta be standing anyway. I just feel like its a completely different atmosphere than the NFL where seats are 100% necessary. Its gotta be pretty exciting to be getting an on campu stadium there though and a new basketball arena. Huge upgrade, good for them.
April 16, 200719 yr I think for college stadiums, metal benches are the way to go. People oughtta be standing anyway. I just feel like its a completely different atmosphere than the NFL where seats are 100% necessary. Its gotta be pretty exciting to be getting an on campu stadium there though and a new basketball arena. Huge upgrade, good for them. Totally agree college games are so exciting you should be standing up. Plus with bleacher style you can fit more fans in which equals more money and noise for the home team. Im excited to see the new stadium.
April 17, 200719 yr The seats at college football games don't really matter. I've never sat down during a UF football game in the student section.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.