Vince Young WAYYYY overrated

JetsMania

3352 yards, 64.5% completion, 17 TD's 16 Ints, 82.6 rating... oh wait thats chad pennington

maybe this 2,767 yards 68% completion, 11 TD's 12 Ints, 82.1 rating.. oh thats david carr who is now a back up...

this one? 2,236 yards 57.5% competion, 12 TD's 15 ints, 68.2 rating... thats joey harringting

oh here are vince youngs numbers. 2,199 yards, 51.5% completion, 12 TD's 13 INT's, 63.1 QB rating.

Those numbers are terrible. How does he get so much hype and make the madden cover?

I am not saying he is the best, but a lot of people rank him really high. His numbers are horrible.

I would like to see how he does this year without their top two leading recievers and without Travis Henry.

I mean its pretty bad that joey harrington had better numbers than he did.

Look at Vince Young's later games. Look at the games that Tenn. won at the end of the season. He qalso had 552 rushing yards and 7 TDs rushing. You could tell he showed a lot of promise. Look at Peyton Manning's rookie numbers if you wanna compare.

I dont think he is horrible, just overrated. I hadnt taken a look at his numbers, and I was just suprised that they were so low. I mean he had worse numbers than Joey Harrington.

Here are mannings numbers his rookie season...

56.7%, 3,739 yards, 26 TD 28 INT, 71.1 rating

Manning then flew up to a 90 rating the following year.

I guess we'll see how he does this year. I think that teams will figure out that all he does is run and will stop him. He lead some great come backs last year I will give him that.

Lastly, I wouldnt be suprised if they titans ended up with a terrible record. They lost travis henry and their top two leading recievers. PacMan jones is also out for the season.

I think you are overvaluing Vince's passing numbers (as a rookie) and comparing him with pure pocket passers. None of those QBs you listed were rookies, and none of them have the impact on the game VY does with his legs.

BTW, Pennington didn't start full-time until his 3rd year.

As a rookie Joey was 2294 yards, 12 TDs, 16 INTs 50.1% and a 59.9 Rating

As a rookie Carr was 2592 yards, 9 TDs, 15 INTs, 52.5% and a 62.8 rating

So VY was actually better than all 3 as a rookie. Additionally, they were all deemed pocket passers who were more ready to play QB in the NFL from a passing perspective. VY was deemed more of an athlete than QB and was not supposed to be any great passer right away. I would say he more than surpassed most people's expectations for year one and his upside is ridiculous.

I'm glad someone made a post about this. I have some (lengthy) thoughts on the subject. If any of you watch ESPN, I encourage you to read on.

ESPN (and the news media in general) is obsessed with the big story. One example is their compulsive need to pimp certain college players during offseason, through the draft, and into the NFL. In their endless zeal for finding big stories, they consistently present the news in a convoluted, deceptive fashion, routinely obscuring the facts in order to serve their mission. The end result is often a news product that is not only baseless but also patently dishonest.

The pundits and starry-eyed masses alike will eat it up, of course, and in no time, ESPN's fictionalized stories become the big stories in sports journalism. It's analogous to how certain high-profile news outlets tend to dictate what the discussion-worthy news stories are at any given time. Again, this phenomenon is by no means unique to ESPN.

Vince Young is an excellent example of the evolution of the fictionalized big story. To anyone who had a good grasp of strong and weak in college football, the USC-Texas national championship game was a matchup between two extremely overrated teams who rose to prominence by defeating extremely overrated opponents. Nonetheless, in the lead-up to the game, the matchup was curiously framed as perhaps the greatest of all-time by a couple of overzealous ESPN studio analysts. As a result, one of the highest-rated national championship games ever saw Vince Young emerge as its eventual hero and media darling.

Fast forward to the NFL season. After getting the starter's job, Vince Young struggles mightily in his attempt to adjust to the NFL game. This of course goes unnoticed by everyone because Titans games are almost completely blacked out at the national level. With only 1-2 exceptions over the entire season, Titans games were shown only in the relevant home and away markets and in a tiny portion of Texas. In fact, South Florida saw only two complete Titans broadcasts last season: 1) Week 1, when they played the Jets and we were off, and 2) Week 2, when they played us. Nonetheless, Titans TV highlights tended to feature Vince Young's rare TD passes or TD runs.

Since I, like everyone else, couldn't watch Titans games, I primarily followed them via box scores (due to NFL pick 'em). During the improbable 6-game winning streak, it became obvious that the Titans were winning games in spite of their offense, rather than because of it. Think Jay Fiedler, only worse. Almost every single week, the Titans would get walloped offensively and Vince Young would suck major statistical ass, yet they would somehow pull off flukey wins. With ESPN leading the charge, the big-story-hungry sports media immediately resurrected their Vince Young-is-a-hero story, and in the process, completely invented a sports superstar. By any objective measure, however, Vince Young was one of the worst passers in the entire league last season. He was horrifically bad. Despite this, journalists and laypeople who weren't actually watching the games bought into the hype, and today he's a Pro-Bowler, offensive ROY, and Madden coverboy.

Reggie Bush is another example. The talking heads at ESPN were outraged that their anointed one was snubbed for Mario Williams in the draft. Again, in their quest for finding a big story to dwell over, the cats in Bristol took a less-than-honest approach in covering the running back-turned-kick returner-turned-wide receiver extraordinaire. In the sports journalism equivalent of a narrow camera angle, the folks at ESPN routinely showed every rare highlight of the 3.5 yards-per-carry RB busting for 10+ yards or taking a screen downfield, wasting no opportunity to proclaim him a smashing success of a breakout RB/WR. They idiotically attempted to compare his offensive contributions to those of a rookie defensive end, taunting Houston each week with chants of "man, don't the Texans wish they got this guy."

By falling to #10, goldenboy Matt Leinart was also snubbed, to a lesser extent, in the draft. In the end, Leinart, too, got a lot of undeserved praise during a relatively ho-hum rookie campaign at QB.

That brings us to today. Knowing ESPN's self-serving penchant for creating news stories, and in light of the fact that Brady Quinn will be starting games all season, I can already tell you that they're going to pimp him very, very hard and attempt to make him into a hero, regardless of how he actually performs. I just hope all of you keep ESPN's dubious track record in mind this season and judge Quinn's performance objectively, rather than feeding into the big story.

I get what Alky is saying, but I don't agree with all of it.

Anyways when ESPN just delievered news and highlights they were fine. When they started having an opinion they started to suck. Unlike most people though, I actually don't watch Sportscenter except once a blue moon.

That said, who cares about who is on the cover of sport videogames. Sure, I like to know and find it 'interesting' but it is hardly like a Pro Bowl or MVP award. It means nothing in the general scheme of things.

I'm not going to doubt Vince anymore either. I saw him kick my school's ass in person at Texas A&M. I saw him bring back Texas at Ohio State when OSU had every chance to win in person, I saw him, as we all did, bring back Texas over the defending champs in the Rose Bowl for the 'ship.

People forget how quickly it 'clicked' for him at Texas. Guy improved so fast in a very short period of time in Austin. It will be interesting to see if that happens in Tennessee.

I get what Alky is saying, but I don't agree with all of it.

Anyways when ESPN just delievered news and highlights they were fine. When they started having an opinion they started to suck. Unlike most people though, I actually don't watch Sportscenter except once a blue moon.

That said, who cares about who is on the cover of sport videogames. Sure, I like to know and find it 'interesting' but it is hardly like a Pro Bowl or MVP award. It means nothing in the general scheme of things.

I'm not going to doubt Vince anymore either. I saw him kick my school's ass in person at Texas A&M. I saw him bring back Texas at Ohio State when OSU had every chance to win in person, I saw him, as we all did, bring back Texas over the defending champs in the Rose Bowl for the 'ship.

People forget how quickly it 'clicked' for him at Texas. Guy improved so fast in a very short period of time in Austin. It will be interesting to see if that happens in Tennessee.

I am not trying to say he isnt a good player, just not deserving of all the hype. Yes he was a rookie last year but had worse number than joey freaking harrington.

I guess we will see what he does this year. Last year they stole the game against jacksonville when they ran back 2 touchdowns on defense. Eli manning handed the giants game to them as well with his terrible play in the 4th quarter. The defense won both of those games and Young got credit for leading a come back. If they go 6-10 we dont hear that much from vince young.

I think there is a very good chance the titans have a losing record this season.

I think you are overvaluing Vince's passing numbers (as a rookie) and comparing him with pure pocket passers. None of those QBs you listed were rookies, and none of them have the impact on the game VY does with his legs.

BTW, Pennington didn't start full-time until his 3rd year.

As a rookie Joey was 2294 yards, 12 TDs, 16 INTs 50.1% and a 59.9 Rating

As a rookie Carr was 2592 yards, 9 TDs, 15 INTs, 52.5% and a 62.8 rating

So VY was actually better than all 3 as a rookie. Additionally, they were all deemed pocket passers who were more ready to play QB in the NFL from a passing perspective. VY was deemed more of an athlete than QB and was not supposed to be any great passer right away. I would say he more than surpassed most people's expectations for year one and his upside is ridiculous.

The difference is no one was talking about the other three. After the first season people were already starting to doubt joey harrington.

I was pretty down on Young during the middle of the season, noting that his numbers were horrific. But he improved immensely over the course of the season. For example, his QB rating went up an additional 5 or 6 points with each passing month. Even his numbers in December weren't amazing, but that kind of improvement in a rookie QB is a very good sign.