Where does the '03 Marlins IF defense rank

Iowa

..in terms of all-time?

With the defense I'm seeing this year, it really makes me appreciate the defense from our last WS team.

Where would Pudge, DLee, Luis, Bass and Mikey rank in terms of all-time best defensive infield unit?

This is the only thing that makes me think we might not be WS contenders for another 3-4 years. Our defense is atrocious, and I am not sure we can be legit WS contenders without at least an above average defense. And, I may be wrong, I think it takes longer to develop into a good defender than other facets of the game.

And, I may be wrong, I think it takes longer to develop into a good defender than other facets of the game.

Nah, 9 times out of 10 you hear of drafted/low level players "ML ready glove."

Good defense isn't necessarily teachable, it's all about that first step, and you either have it, or you don't.

And, I may be wrong, I think it takes longer to develop into a good defender than other facets of the game.

Good defense isn't necessarily teachable, it's all about that first step, and you either have it, or you don't.

So does that mean our defense will always suck?

So does that mean our defense will always suck?

Hahaha, I hope not.

I think that there are tools for Miggy and Hanley to improve if they get their "ole" plays out of the way. Olivo seems like a lost cause to me, though.

I couldn't say how they rank all-time. I never saw any of the infields from 1900-1965. I can only read about these players and look at stats. As far as infields that I have seen, since 1965, they would rank #1. All around excellence. A joy to watch them turn those highlight reel double plays. As much as pitching is the key to a team, I think that the infield defense that year was the thing that got us to the World Series. Well, that and Bartman.

You can't really teach picking up the ball out of a pitchers hand or identifying the ball in that split second on the way to the plate.

Defense is usually the part that comes last for a young stud like Hanley for example, and is probably the easiest to teach. Look how much Olivo has improved over the last season, sure he is still average/below average with the glove but you can't deny he has gotten better. Alfredo has improved greatly in CF as has Reggie.

Hanley will improve with time, so will Miguel if he decides to get his head in the game.

This is the only thing that makes me think we might not be WS contenders for another 3-4 years. Our defense is atrocious, and I am not sure we can be legit WS contenders without at least an above average defense. And, I may be wrong, I think it takes longer to develop into a good defender than other facets of the game.

I agree with you here. Really the past two years have been the worst in quite awhile. I think and hope they will get better but it may be with other teams by then. We have a pretty potent offensive infield though when everyone is healthy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.