Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Anibal Sanchez files a grievance against the Marlins

Featured Replies

Sanchez might have made an error of judgment in not telling the Marlins that he was injured, but if he did so, he did it with the intention of trying to help the team. This represents the 3rd instance where a player has been injured and the team hasn't been able to diagnose it (De Aza, Johnson). Also, in the cases of De Aza and Sanchez, the player has been afraid to inform the team that he's feeling discomfort. Why is that? That points to a serious problem in communication.

 

Take this information, coupled with the fact that the team has been riddled with injuries across the board, and it tells you that the Marlins have a significant problem with their training staff. Rather than point the finger at the players, I'm more inclined to blame the Marlins for a near-negligent medical staff that has been unable to properly maintain players, foster communication with their players, nor diagnose injuries when they occur. The team subjects their players to sub-par medical services, then adding insult to injury (literally), cuts Sanchez's pay and takes away his benefits.

Good points there. And I agree that something definitely needs to happen with this staff. The serious lack of communication with De Aza and now it appears, Sanchez as well is a big problem.

 

I'm sort of on the fence with this.

By the book, Anibal wins in an overwhelming runaway. He was DL'd immediately upon demotion, and that is not allowed to happen, no matter what the court of public opinion thinks.

 

Plus, I have a hard time calling the medical staff here even league average it is clearly evident by both the alarming frequency and severity of injuries that the care is clearly substandard.

How was he DL'd immediately if he made a start? I usually respect your insight, Swift but this one I have to go the other way on. This is purely a case of Anibal trying to milk the Marlins.

 

He didn't pitch at all for Albuquerque, he never appeared in a game, and to my knowledge he never reported.

By the book, Anibal wins in an overwhelming runaway. He was DL'd immediately upon demotion, and that is not allowed to happen, no matter what the court of public opinion thinks.

 

Plus, I have a hard time calling the medical staff here even league average it is clearly evident by both the alarming frequency and severity of injuries that the care is clearly substandard.

 

 

Injury issues weren't a problem between 2002 and 2006.

 

I think it's a case of regression to the mean.

 

Josh Beckett begs to differ.

 

The most injury prone player of that Marlins era has been shockingly healthy in Boston, oh, and they can address a blister without it resulting in a "let it fix itself" DL trip.

By the book, Anibal wins in an overwhelming runaway. He was DL'd immediately upon demotion, and that is not allowed to happen, no matter what the court of public opinion thinks.

 

Plus, I have a hard time calling the medical staff here even league average it is clearly evident by both the alarming frequency and severity of injuries that the care is clearly substandard.

 

 

Injury issues weren't a problem between 2002 and 2006.

 

I think it's a case of regression to the mean.

 

Josh Beckett begs to differ.

 

The most injury prone player of that Marlins era has been shockingly healthy in Boston, oh, and they can address a blister without it resulting in a "let it fix itself" DL trip.

 

So health issues with ONE guy makes the entire med staff subpar?

 

Aside from the usual "bumps and bruises", the Marlins medical staff has done a good job the last 5 years at keeping players healthy.

By the book, Anibal wins in an overwhelming runaway. He was DL'd immediately upon demotion, and that is not allowed to happen, no matter what the court of public opinion thinks.

 

Plus, I have a hard time calling the medical staff here even league average it is clearly evident by both the alarming frequency and severity of injuries that the care is clearly substandard.

 

 

Injury issues weren't a problem between 2002 and 2006.

 

I think it's a case of regression to the mean.

 

Josh Beckett begs to differ.

 

The most injury prone player of that Marlins era has been shockingly healthy in Boston, oh, and they can address a blister without it resulting in a "let it fix itself" DL trip.

 

I always thought the blister problems were a result of the humidity making the balls a bit more slick and he tried to counter that by gripping the ball harder.

By the book, Anibal wins in an overwhelming runaway. He was DL'd immediately upon demotion, and that is not allowed to happen, no matter what the court of public opinion thinks.

 

Plus, I have a hard time calling the medical staff here even league average it is clearly evident by both the alarming frequency and severity of injuries that the care is clearly substandard.

 

 

Injury issues weren't a problem between 2002 and 2006.

 

I think it's a case of regression to the mean.

 

Josh Beckett begs to differ.

 

The most injury prone player of that Marlins era has been shockingly healthy in Boston, oh, and they can address a blister without it resulting in a "let it fix itself" DL trip.

 

So health issues with ONE guy makes the entire med staff subpar?

 

Aside from the usual "bumps and bruises", the Marlins medical staff has done a good job the last 5 years at keeping players healthy.

 

They did end one players career (Spooneybarger) and saw a high profile TJ in AJ Burnett.

 

I have a hard time calling a team that has averaged over 1 TJ a season for the duration of this ownership to be a decent medical staff.

By the book, Anibal wins in an overwhelming runaway. He was DL'd immediately upon demotion, and that is not allowed to happen, no matter what the court of public opinion thinks.

 

Plus, I have a hard time calling the medical staff here even league average it is clearly evident by both the alarming frequency and severity of injuries that the care is clearly substandard.

How was he DL'd immediately if he made a start? I usually respect your insight, Swift but this one I have to go the other way on. This is purely a case of Anibal trying to milk the Marlins.

 

He didn't pitch at all for Albuquerque, he never appeared in a game, and to my knowledge he never reported.

If he never reported, I'd definitely agree with you. Need more details.

By the book, Anibal wins in an overwhelming runaway. He was DL'd immediately upon demotion, and that is not allowed to happen, no matter what the court of public opinion thinks.

 

Plus, I have a hard time calling the medical staff here even league average it is clearly evident by both the alarming frequency and severity of injuries that the care is clearly substandard.

 

 

Injury issues weren't a problem between 2002 and 2006.

 

I think it's a case of regression to the mean.

 

Josh Beckett begs to differ.

 

The most injury prone player of that Marlins era has been shockingly healthy in Boston, oh, and they can address a blister without it resulting in a "let it fix itself" DL trip.

 

So health issues with ONE guy makes the entire med staff subpar?

 

Aside from the usual "bumps and bruises", the Marlins medical staff has done a good job the last 5 years at keeping players healthy.

 

They did end one players career (Spooneybarger) and saw a high profile TJ in AJ Burnett.

 

I have a hard time calling a team that has averaged over 1 TJ a season for the duration of this ownership to be a decent medical staff.

 

I'm sure Jeff Torborg and Burnett's constant overthrowing and 9 CGs in 2002 had nothing to do with it. :lol

I don't think the Marlins provide sub-standard health care.

 

I think the players have sub-standard abilities to be honest. No player has been denied care and the team is cautious.

 

Anibal is going to get his ass handed to him in this.

Do you have any sort of proof of this at all? Or are you just apologizing?

 

Honestly, if every knowledgeable person on this board knew he was hurt when he was in the majors, how can the organization not notice this?I completely agree with you! That is something that is pretty hard to fathom.

Do you have any sort of proof of this at all? Or are you just apologizing?

 

Honestly, if every knowledgeable person on this board knew he was hurt when he was in the majors, how can the organization not notice this?

Doctor's Hospital is pretty good.

 

No one knew if he was hurt or not, except for Anibal. People speculated he was, but the same happens when any player struggles.....except Cabrera...he's always "too fat."

Do you have any sort of proof of this at all? Or are you just apologizing?

 

Honestly, if every knowledgeable person on this board knew he was hurt when he was in the majors, how can the organization not notice this?

Doctor's Hospital is pretty good.

 

No one knew if he was hurt or not, except for Anibal. People speculated he was, but the same happens when any player struggles.....except Cabrera...he's always "too fat."

 

Except Sanchez had a no-throw period as recently as February, plus he had the magic 80 IP bump. Red flags all around.

 

It's like the organization has never heard of the concept of "precautionary MRI."

I don't think the Marlins provide sub-standard health care.

 

I think the players have sub-standard abilities to be honest. No player has been denied care and the team is cautious.

 

Anibal is going to get his ass handed to him in this.

The slew of injuries would suggest otherwise.

 

The slew of injuries actually suggests otherwise. The team has shown if a player lets them know he is hurting they are going to 15 day DL him, and then if circumstances deem necessary, 60 day DL him to make room on the 40 man roster.

By the book, Anibal wins in an overwhelming runaway. He was DL'd immediately upon demotion, and that is not allowed to happen, no matter what the court of public opinion thinks.

 

Plus, I have a hard time calling the medical staff here even league average it is clearly evident by both the alarming frequency and severity of injuries that the care is clearly substandard.

How was he DL'd immediately if he made a start? I usually respect your insight, Swift but this one I have to go the other way on. This is purely a case of Anibal trying to milk the Marlins.

 

He didn't pitch at all for Albuquerque, he never appeared in a game, and to my knowledge he never reported.

 

 

Again, I am only going by what I read during that time span. But he reported, was scheduled to pitch, and then either the day before or that day said he was hurting. Along with the flimsy excuse of saying something to like, "I was going to go tell them but they told me I was going down before I got the chance." Not exactly word for word, but darned close.

Do you have any sort of proof of this at all? Or are you just apologizing?

 

Honestly, if every knowledgeable person on this board knew he was hurt when he was in the majors, how can the organization not notice this?

Doctor's Hospital is pretty good.

 

No one knew if he was hurt or not, except for Anibal. People speculated he was, but the same happens when any player struggles.....except Cabrera...he's always "too fat."

 

Good points. Add in that if the medical staff asked him and he said he was feeling okay there is no way to know. These guys are doctors, not some type of Gods or mind readers. Not having good outings, not being able to locate pitches, and a bit lower velocity can be many things besides an injury. And if that player dosen't fess up to hurting then the medical staff and the coaching staff have to look for those other reasons.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.