so our infield, lol

Nny

Fielding Bibles releasing the top 10 fielders by posistion, aswell as bottom 5, for the year

http://www.billjamesonline.net/fieldingbib...nus-leaders.asp

Mike Jacobs: -10, tied 5th worst in the Majors out of 1st baseman

Dan Uggla: -19, worst in the majors out of 2nd basemen

Hanley Ramirez: -37, worst in the majors out of SS (tied-second worst overall, behind only Manny's -38)

Miguel Cabrera: -24, third worst in the majors out of 3rd baseman.

weeee

Our outfield

Josh Willingham: -28, third worst in the majors out of LFers

Alfredo Amezaga: +15, 6th best in the majors out of CFers ALFREDO THE AMAZING

Jeremy Hermida: DUNNO! What I can tell you is he's not in the top-11 or the bottom-5.

From 2005-2007

Cabrera: Worst thirdbaseman, -37

Jacobs: 4th worst 1stbaseman, -25

Ramirez: third worst SS, -43

Willingham: fourth worst LF, -34

Keep in mind this is 2005-2007...for the above, they really only played 2006-2007...so their two years are worst then most everybody elses three years.

Also Uggla would have had to have a lot better defensive year in 2006...the #5 guy from 2005-2006 was -29, and since Uggla was -19 this year, he had to have been at worst -9 last year.

Hanley Ramirez was also only only -6 last year.

So Jacobs was just as bad this year to last (-13 last year to -10 this year, but played in 22 fewer games)....Hanley went from -6 to -37, Uggla from >-9 to -19, and Cabs from -12 to -24. Talk about infield defensive regression lol. Perry Hill, where art thou?

I know this is nothing new, but still posting regardless.

it'll improve

or something

Yeah when you look at how much we regressed, you gotta say we'll be better next year.

That, or we're completely f***ed without Perry Hill.

One or the other.

Anddddd I guess we'll find out next year which it is

God we gotta be better next year....

Not that it is definitive proof or anything, but hopefully it is a bit of an eye opener to those that feel Cabrera and Ramirez are adequate defensive infielders.

For me, I'm waiting until next season before stating that. You have one season where this group was below average but no worse than a lot of other guys. And then you have one season when they were flat out awful. For as much as you can say "Look at how bad they were this year", you can also say "Look how much better they were last year." If they have two strait awful seasons then yeah, there's no defense for their defense. But there is the possibility of a bounce back next year.

Hanley also improved in the second half (was -23 in the first half, so -14 in the second half.....still really bad, but it's improvement).

And Swift, it's not a rate/average. You have to consider that Jacobs only played in 108 games. That, and the list of the guys infront of him aren't exactly good (Dmitri Young, Garciaparra, Sexon, Fielder).

Guest iFesta Touch

So it turns out Marlins2003 wasn't talking out of his ass when he said Hanley was not a good defender and some of you lambasted him.

As for Amezaga...

FEAR THE SCRAPPY GUYS WITH HEART

:lol

I'm pretty sure just about everybody here would agree that Hanley had an absolute horrible fielding season, before these were released.

Anyone defending Hanley's defense is looking at his potential and defending that, not defending how he did this year.

....and Hanley was a much better defensive player the last 60 games or so than he was the first 100

it's like day and night

and not one of those days where it's cloudy and you're like, damn... is it turning night already? this is a nice sunny day compared to a dark and starry night

it'll improve

or something

Yeah when you look at how much we regressed, you gotta say we'll be better next year.

One or the other.

I don't think they'll get better just because. The most blame goes to the idiot manager who doesn't make these guys work.

Guest iFesta Touch

it'll improve

or something

One or the other.

I don't think they'll get better just because. The most blame goes to the idiot manager who doesn't make these guys work.

You're too funny sometimes.

it'll improve

or something

One or the other.

You're too funny sometimes.

Over the course of the season there were several articles that discussed a reduction in defensive work compared to the previous season. I think practicing and working hard on your weaknesses is important. Perhaps you don't.

But I'll come clean and admit I also think defense matters so I'm probably way out in LF on this.

Guest iFesta Touch

Cause nobody here thinks defense matters.

:rolleyes:

So when someone says defense doesn't really matter according to you what they meant is that defense matters?

I can't speak for everyone, but I know for a fact that I have never said that. As far as I know, the individuals who hold the same belief towards defense I have on this board have never said that. Defense is certainly overquantified by the "pitching, speed and defense" crowd ( I suspect you are in this crowd). But I think everyone on this board will agree that the defensive (and most importantly pitching) performance from this team needs to improve drastically for this team to finish at or near above .500 next season. League-average defense out of this team next year will definitely lead to more wins. The amount of wins is debatable but it sure as hell isn't anywhere near 20 or even 10. We don't need to be ranked in the top 5 in league defense to win 85 or 90 games.

The 2006-2007 Marlins were a collection of players who have a history of being average to below average defenders. To put the blame entirely on Fredi is moronic. This team wasn't much worse than the 2006 club and back then nobody was clamoring for Slugger X, Y, and Z to be traded in exchange for Speedy Defensive-Minded Player A, B, and C.

"Defense doesn't really matter" was said.

I'm not in the "pitching, speed and defense" crowd.

If you have a guys that have inherent weaknesses the solution is hard work. Fredi's solution for our defensive issues was to cut back on defensive work. In my opinion this makes Fredi an idiot and I blame him for most of our players regressing defensively. So many of our guys didn't regress because of bad luck or just because.

I'm pretty sure just about everybody here would agree that Hanley had an absolute horrible fielding season, before these were released.

Anyone defending Hanley's defense is looking at his potential and defending that, not defending how he did this year.

JUST about everybody.

Hanley is the jewel of this team no doubt and I would hold it and flush for him.

But his defense is atrocious.