Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Red Sox and A's to start 2008 in Japan

Featured Replies

The Boston Red Sox will open their World Series title defense in Tokyo. Following months of negotiations, the Red Sox agreed to a two-game series against the Oakland Athletics in Japan on March 25-26, and the commissioner's office announced the trip early Wednesday. With Daisuke Matsuzaka and Hideki Okajima, the Red Sox figure to be an attractive draw for the games at the Tokyo Dome.

 

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-r...p&type=lgns

 

does that mean the sox and a's report to camp early?

Would have been cooler if they started the season against the Mariners (I mean, come on!) but it should still be a good show.

Would have been cooler if they started the season against the Mariners (I mean, come on!) but it should still be a good show.

Would have been the perfect fit. But this is pretty cool as well.

Would have been cooler if they started the season against the Mariners (I mean, come on!) but it should still be a good show.

 

That is a bit odd they went with Oakland instead of Seattle as it would have been a perfect match-up to start the season in Japan.

Baseball shouldn't be played in March.

 

I'm not going to lie that I'm going to be excited to see Daisuke pitch in his home country though.

I wonder if this will help boost the possibility of hosting a larger chunk of the WBC (maybe more than just Asian countries) in Japan in 2009.

 

The more time passes, the more excited I am for it.

I understand the Rays exporting home games, but is it really necessary for a team that sells out all its home games to move them to the other side of the world?

I understand the Rays exporting home games, but is it really necessary for a team that sells out all its home games to move them to the other side of the world?

 

oakland is giving up home games, not boston.

I wonder if this will help boost the possibility of hosting a larger chunk of the WBC (maybe more than just Asian countries) in Japan in 2009.

 

The more time passes, the more excited I am for it.

 

That has been MLB's plan all along. You may even see a few games played in Europe.

  • Author

I wonder if this will help boost the possibility of hosting a larger chunk of the WBC (maybe more than just Asian countries) in Japan in 2009.

 

The more time passes, the more excited I am for it.

 

That has been MLB's plan all along. You may even see a few games played in Europe.

 

doubt that. europe isn't really into baseball for the most part...

I wonder if this will help boost the possibility of hosting a larger chunk of the WBC (maybe more than just Asian countries) in Japan in 2009.

 

The more time passes, the more excited I am for it.

 

That has been MLB's plan all along. You may even see a few games played in Europe.

 

doubt that. europe isn't really into baseball for the most part...

...which is why American leagues are trying to showcase their sport overseas.

 

London wasn't really 'into' football and got a game.

I understand the Rays exporting home games, but is it really necessary for a team that sells out all its home games to move them to the other side of the world?

 

oakland is giving up home games, not boston.

 

of course...

Dice-k is not expected to make the trip due to his wifes expected delivery of their 2nd child

I wonder if this will help boost the possibility of hosting a larger chunk of the WBC (maybe more than just Asian countries) in Japan in 2009.

 

The more time passes, the more excited I am for it.

 

That has been MLB's plan all along. You may even see a few games played in Europe.

 

doubt that. europe isn't really into baseball for the most part...

...which is why American leagues are trying to showcase their sport overseas.

 

London wasn't really 'into' football and got a game.

I wonder what the ratings in the UK were for the game. I'm pretty sure they miniscule so London still really isn't into football but yeah they got a game and will get more.

I wonder if this will help boost the possibility of hosting a larger chunk of the WBC (maybe more than just Asian countries) in Japan in 2009.

 

The more time passes, the more excited I am for it.

 

That has been MLB's plan all along. You may even see a few games played in Europe.

 

doubt that. europe isn't really into baseball for the most part...

 

The World Baseball Classic isn't about baseball in America. It is about baseball overseas. It won't happen for the 2009 WBC, I wouldn't bet against a round being played in Europe.

 

Ever heard of market expansion?

I wonder if this will help boost the possibility of hosting a larger chunk of the WBC (maybe more than just Asian countries) in Japan in 2009.

 

The more time passes, the more excited I am for it.

 

That has been MLB's plan all along. You may even see a few games played in Europe.

 

doubt that. europe isn't really into baseball for the most part...

 

The World Baseball Classic isn't about baseball in America. It is about baseball overseas. It won't happen for the 2009 WBC, I wouldn't bet against a round being played in Europe.

 

Ever heard of market expansion?

Would you bet on baseball becoming popular in Europe?

I wonder if this will help boost the possibility of hosting a larger chunk of the WBC (maybe more than just Asian countries) in Japan in 2009.

 

The more time passes, the more excited I am for it.

 

That has been MLB's plan all along. You may even see a few games played in Europe.

 

doubt that. europe isn't really into baseball for the most part...

 

The World Baseball Classic isn't about baseball in America. It is about baseball overseas. It won't happen for the 2009 WBC, I wouldn't bet against a round being played in Europe.

 

Ever heard of market expansion?

Would you bet on baseball becoming popular in Europe?

 

No. Not unless youth baseball takes root and becomes successful. That is the only way a sport cam become wildly popular.

 

But even a small cult following is more $$$ for MLB.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.