Clinton Trails Top 2008 Republicans

Passion

Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton trails five top Republican presidential contenders in general election match-ups, a drop in support from this summer, according to a poll released on Monday.

Clinton's top Democratic rivals, Barack Obama and John Edwards, still lead Republicans in hypothetical match-ups ahead of the November 4, 2008, presidential election, the survey by Zogby Interactive showed.

Clinton, a New York senator who has been at the top of the Democratic pack in national polls in the 2008 race, trails Republican candidates Rudy Giuliani, Mitt Romney, Fred Thompson, John McCain and Mike Huckabee by three to five percentage points in the direct matches.

In July, Clinton narrowly led McCain, an Arizona senator, and held a five-point lead over former New York Mayor Giuliani, a six-point lead over former Tennessee Sen. Thompson and a 10-point lead over former Massachusetts Gov. Romney.

She was not matched against the fast-rising Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor, in the July poll.

The results come as other national polls show the race for the Democratic nomination tightening five weeks before the first contest in Iowa, which kicks off the state-by-state nomination battles in each party.

Some Democrats have expressed concerns about the former first lady's electability in a race against Republicans. The survey showed Clinton not performing as well as Obama and Edwards among independents and younger voters, pollster John Zogby said.

"It all points to a very competitive general election at a time when many people think the Democrats are going to win the White House," Zogby said.

The poll of 9,355 people had a margin of error of plus or minus one percentage point. The interactive poll surveys individuals who have registered to take part in online polls.

"The questions about her electability have always been there, but as we get close this suggests that is a problem," Zogby said.

Obama, an Illinois senator, and Edwards, a former North Carolina senator, both hold narrow leads over the Republican contenders in the hypothetical 2008 match-ups.

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNew...645320920071126

For once, I actually agree with an article posted by Fox. I think there's a sense of frustration with the way Hillary is being coddled by the press among the Democratic electorate. And if Hillary gets the nomination, I think that electorate will say, "OK, party bosses, you're getting one last chance." Should Hillary choke on her own d**k (yes, I just made a funny there) with that opportunity, then that'll be the end of the Democratic Party, as a huge schism will develop out of it, much in the same way the Republican Party was founded out of a schism in the Whig party.

But what will become of my bumper sticker? jk

God I hope that is true, but if Hillary can win Florida, California, and the rest of the typical blue states, it does not matter that the popular vote in certain states would be horribly against her.

I just made a 50 dollar bet this thanksgiving she will be the next president. That's a bet I hope to lose.

So anyone want to take a stab at what this means?

Well there are actually a bunch that show Hillary and other dems favored, including gallop that just came out recently. But all of these pre-general election polls are not very relevant, even the ones that show dems being favored. Dukakis led Bush I by like 10-15 points at one point in pre-general election polls.

Also, Zogby's polls are online. He claims they are just as legit as phone polls, but people register for them. There is always the potential of problems with online polling.

Zogby did nail the 2000 election however.

I think that until the first couple of primaries, it's really pointless to speculate on the general election. This could, however, be the first of many anti-Hilary blitzkrieg articles in the final weeks leading up the elections. I don't think any impartial media will specifically show disfavor for Hilary, but they will subtly (as is the case here) point to potential shortcomings.

I am not surprised that Hillary is trailing, just because she is really poison to independent and swing voters. Even hardcore DNC voters are split on her. I think it's a really bad idea to have her as the nominee to take on the GOP's candidate.

She also has a LOT more baggage that can be used for negative advertising than Obama, or even Edwards.

Regarding Hillary.

In the end, Hillary is the only candiate that truly has the ace of spades in her back pocket, the most powerful card of any other candidate essentially.

And I dont think it has even been close to being played yet.

That itself makes her very, very dangerous in the upcoming election.

Guest CrimsonCane

Regarding Hillary.

In the end, Hillary is the only candiate that truly has the ace of spades in her back pocket, the most powerful card of any other candidate essentially.

What would that be? I'm not being facetious either, I'm actually interested.

I've been very confused with Dems this election. Though I can't say I see things as they do, I honestly can't see the appeal of Hillary Clinton when compared to the other candidates. What is it about her that has made her the odds on favorite to win the Democratic nomination for quite some time. The only thing I can point to is perhaps better organization and more fund raising. Maybe it's my youth speaking for me, but if I were a Dem, I would totally be supporting Barack Obama right now and would've guessed he'd run away with the nomination. He's more charismatic and eloquent than Clinton could dream of being and is, in my opinion, alot smarter too. And, as far as the issues go, there's not enough difference there to make one the obvious choice over the other for a particular set of voters.

Regarding Hillary.

What would that be? I'm not being facetious either, I'm actually interested.

I've been very confused with Dems this election. Though I can't say I see things as they do, I honestly can't see the appeal of Hillary Clinton when compared to the other candidates. What is it about her that has made her the odds on favorite to win the Democratic nomination for quite some time. The only thing I can point to is perhaps better organization and more fund raising. Maybe it's my youth speaking for me, but if I were a Dem, I would totally be supporting Barack Obama right now and would've guessed he'd run away with the nomination. He's more charismatic and eloquent than Clinton could dream of being and is, in my opinion, alot smarter too. And, as far as the issues go, there's not enough difference there to make one the obvious choice over the other for a particular set of voters.

The answer to both of your questions is simple:

William. Jefferson. Clinton.

I think they should put a muffle on Billy's mouth if they want Hillary to win. He flat out lied the other day. I found it quite appalling that he had the nerve to be so open about his lie. It's almost as bad as the time Tim Russert caught Cheney in a lie, showed him the video of Cheney saying something quite different, and then Cheney repeating his lie.

I think Obama is going to win the nomination, and I hope he does.