"Warming is naturally caused and shows no human influence"

RudyTHEGANGSTER

New Peer-Reviewed Study Finds 'Warming is naturally caused and shows no human influence'

An inconvenient new peer-reviewed study published in the December 2007 issue of the International Journal of Climatology.

Climate warming is naturally caused and shows no human influence:

Climate scientists at the University of Rochester, the University of Alabama, and the University of Virginia report that observed patterns of temperature changes ('fingerprints') over the last thirty years are not in accord with what greenhouse models predict and can better be explained by natural factors, such as solar variability. Therefore, climate change is 'unstoppable' and cannot be affected or modified by controlling the emission of greenhouse gases, such as CO2, as is proposed in current legislation.

These results are in conflict with the conclusions of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and also with some recent research publications based on essentially the same data. However, they are supported by the results of the US-sponsored Climate Change Science Program (CCSP).

The report is published in the December 2007 issue of the International Journal of Climatology of the Royal Meteorological Society [DOI: 10.1002/joc.1651]. The authors are Prof. David H. Douglass (Univ. of Rochester), Prof. John R. Christy (Univ. of Alabama), Benjamin D. Pearson (graduate student), and Prof. S. Fred Singer (Univ. of Virginia).

The fundamental question is whether the observed warming is natural or anthropogenic (human-caused). Lead author David Douglass said: "The observed pattern of warming, comparing surface and atmospheric temperature trends, does not show the characteristic fingerprint associated with greenhouse warming. The inescapable conclusion is that the human contribution is not significant and that observed increases in carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases make only a negligible contribution to climate warming."

Co-author John Christy said: "Satellite data and independent balloon data agree that atmospheric warming trends do not exceed those of the surface. Greenhouse models, on the other hand, demand that atmospheric trend values be 2-3 times greater. We have good reason, therefore, to believe that current climate models greatly overestimate the effects of greenhouse gases. Satellite observations suggest that GH models ignore negative feedbacks, produced by clouds and by water vapor, that diminish the warming effects of carbon dioxide."

Co-author S. Fred Singer said: "The current warming trend is simply part of a natural cycle of climate warming and cooling that has been seen in ice cores, deep-sea sediments, stalagmites, etc., and published in hundreds of papers in peer-reviewed journals. The mechanism for producing such cyclical climate changes is still under discussion; but they are most likely caused by variations in the solar wind and associated magnetic fields that affect the flux of cosmic rays incident on the earth's atmosphere. In turn, such cosmic rays are believed to influence cloudiness and thereby control the amount of sunlight reaching the earth's surface and thus the climate." Our research demonstrates that the ongoing rise of atmospheric CO2 has only a minor influence on climate change. We must conclude, therefore, that attempts to control CO2 emissions are ineffective and pointless. ? but very costly.

See also: http://www.crosswalk.com/news/11561541/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/...71211101623.htm

Views aside, it's hard to believe that considering all of the pollution we put into the air daily as a species, that it's having only negligible impact. That just doesn't make sense.

The evidence is not concrete enough to go one way or another. The atmosphere is a very complex system for which we really don't have as much data or computing analysis ability as we would like yet.

Views aside, it's hard to believe that considering all of the pollution we put into the air daily as a species, that it's having only negligible impact. That just doesn't make sense.

I mean, it could be screwing up our lungs AND polluting our water, BUT that does not mean that somehow an invisible trace-element gas drives climate more than the sun.

However, this study does contribute some positives. It accentuates that the data is inconclusive and not nearly substantial enough to change policy like most of the alarmists (including Gore) are demanding. If the data used by two parties says two different things, it is a pretty good indicating that we aren't ready to hand over hundreds of billions of dollars to third world countries to "fix" a problem that very well may not exist.

It's 65 degrees at 1:48 AM here in Pittsburgh in the middle of December. I was outside today in short sleeves. I don't know if that's global warming, but I do know it's something downright strange.

Montana used to be a beachfront tropical paradise. What precisely is your point? The world changes, it's a living organism.

That said, I don't see the harm in trying to limit our impact on the planet, let's say that global warming is a giant hoax, I still don't want to live on a planet where it's nice and chilly but water is polluted and I have to wear a gas mask to play basketball outdoors. If for no other reason than aesthetics, the environment needs to be taken care of. It'd be incredibly selfish to spoil this planet especially when capitalism will make for some interesting fixes for the environment.

Guest CrimsonCane

Personal observations by you and I < Conclusive studies conducted by experts (I contend that these studies have yet to be seen)

It's a human tendency to attribute causes to changes we observe. Oftentimes, we can falsely attribute the wrong causes, and they can seem to make a whole lot of sense. It's natural. I'm not saying that climate change is a hoax or that it clearly exists. All I'm saying is that it's not very persuasive to simply say, "We have to be doing something to cause these changes, because saying otherwise just feels weird." That's not a real argument.

It's 65 degrees at 1:48 AM here in Pittsburgh in the middle of December. I was outside today in short sleeves. I don't know if that's global warming, but I do know it's something downright strange.

After several days in the 30s, and today will be 48, tomorrow will be 39, and Sunday will be 29.

It's in the 80s right now in Orlando. Having lived here for 27 years, I can tell you periods in the 80s in winter are perfectly normal. Hell, in 1989, it was in the 80s a few days after a day with a high of 33 that saw it snow.

Our lowest average high for January is 72. In January 2003, there wasn't a day that reached 70 degrees in Orlando. We didn't see temps in the 70s from before Christmas 2002 almost to Valentine's Day. The Winter of 2003 was supposedly the hottest winter ever.

I'm sorry, but it's NEVER supposed to feel like late spring in December around here. Never. What you described in Orlando is just par for the course. Also, notice how the foliage this past fall was either late or nonexistant?

BTW, Handbanana: I know what's normal. 65 degrees at night in Pittsburgh in the middle of December is the furthest thing from normal.

I'm sorry, but it's NEVER supposed to feel like late spring in December around here. Never.

According to AccuWeather, you've had 70s in Pittsburgh as late as past Christmas. The record of 70 on December 27 was set in 1901. And those December record highs in the 70s are scattered evenly from 1885 to 2003.

It might not supposed to feel like that, but it does happen historically. Just like snow isn't supposed to happen in peninsular Florida, but it happened in 1977, 1989, 1993, 2003 and last fall.

Also, notice how the foliage this past fall was either late or nonexistant?

Wasn't it pretty dry in Pittsburgh this past year? Drought can suppress foliage turning.

It's not just Pittsburgh where the foliage was late. It's been reported all across the Northeast. And using last year as an example for temperatures is like using my uncle, who as late as last year was doing workshop stuff (before macular degeneration started to take its toll), as an representative example of fitness in octogenarians, ESPECIALLY when last winter was noted as the warmest on record for the entire Northeast.

The evidence is not concrete enough to go one way or another. The atmosphere is a very complex system for which we really don't have as much data or computing analysis ability as we would like yet.

At the very least, you CAN prove the correlation between exhaust pollution and acid rain. So, even if you don't want to buy in to the global warming argument, the problems of combustible fuel exhausts still exist.

To the major point, there is no way to say that man has NO influence on global warming. It?s just not realistic. The only argument is the degree to which we influence global temperatures.

As stated in my first point, I?m ?green? for reasons other than global warming so this study isn?t going to change my desire to see an immediate shift in how our country uses alternative energy solutions.

The key here is not the demand for developing alternative energy. I have no problem with that because it gets us off foreign oil.

What I do have a problem with (and what always takes a backseat in discussions about climate change) is that most of these AGW alarmists are demanding that the United States hand over substantial sums of money to third world countries to control their emissions. That is pissing away alot of our taxpayer money on something that does not exist.

I'm not going to lie, I've never heard of anyone saying that, and my roommate (who is much more conservative than I am) hasn't either.

The key here is not the demand for developing alternative energy. I have no problem with that because it gets us off foreign oil.

What I do have a problem with (and what always takes a backseat in discussions about climate change) is that most of these AGW alarmists are demanding that the United States hand over substantial sums of money to third world countries to control their emissions. That is pissing away alot of our taxpayer money on something that does not exist.

I think he's referring to the global carbon tax some people are proposing the UN levy. Of course, the UN has absolutely no way to collect such a tax, since they are not sovereign. Yet. :mischief

But seriously, why can't people embrace alternative energy? Lefties want to end "anthropogenic global warming". Righties want to end dependence on foreign oil. Who cares why you want to do it? Get together and do it!