Laptop Problem... it may have died

HelmsE

So, I have an Acer Aspire 3000 notebook computer that runs Windows XP Home Edition. I was watching the first quarter Colorado-Alabama game online the other night when all of a sudden my laptop froze and I was forced to restart it using by using the power button as opposed to a proper restart. Upon turning it back on, the computer spent an unusually long amount of time on the Acer splash screen. About midway through the loading bar at the bottom of the screen it changed to a black screen, similar to MS-DOS. It displays some text which I don't recall exactly but something similar to starting up/searching for operating system and finally displays "Operating System not Found" at the bottom of the screen. My only option at this point to restart my computer. Each time restarting my computer, it did the exact same process. I then took the cd that came with the computer and in hopes of booting it up in safe mode or reverting to a previously known configuration but upon trying to this I am told that it cannot find a hard drive attached to the computer, despite the fact that I have both an internal and external hard drive.

So there it is, I'm assuming my computer is shot but figured it was worth tossing out to the forum. Living in a small Rhodope town of 4,000 doesn't exactly help my chances of taking it somewhere to be fixed so I'm hoping this is something I could attempt to fix myself. Any thoughts?

Take out the HD that the OS is on and put it back in. I assume it's gonne be on the inteneral HD, not the external...there should be a guide to do this on Acer's official website, if you don't know how.

If that doesn't work, then most likely the HD is dead. There's a chance it's not dead and it's just having problems being read, which unplugging/replugging above will work, but most likely it's dead. You can go into BIOS to see if the hard drive is being read to confirm it, but from all accounts it's not (Though I'd still do this to confirm it). You can get a new HD online.

Any thoughts?

Make sure there's nothing in your CDROM drive, unplug any external HD's, remove any thumbsticks, unplug from the wall and remove the battery. Now plug it in with the battery out and turn it back on. It will take longer than usual but once it is back on, shut down properly and feel free to put your battery back in.

Good luck.

I checked the BIOS and the hard drive is not being read as you suspected. I wasn't able to open it up last night as I don't have my manual and was afraid of doing even more damage to the computer as I'm not the most technically literate person but will look for some manuals/instructions online today and give it a go.

Shoot man that sounds prettym uch like what happened to my compaq desktop a few years ago, but that was resolved by just reinstalling windows. It would load up to where u select your windows login name, and then it would say it cant find the stuff, so I just said f this and I popped in the windows cd and formatted that mofo up. But I guess you dont want to lose your info, so yeah try to re-plug the HD...although it sounds weird, the hd wouldnt just unplug itself while you are watching a video online....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.