Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jeff Ireland

Featured Replies

I had to Google this guy to make sure he was real.

 

Let the mafia and Soprano jokes begin.

  • Author

I had to Google this guy to make sure he was real.

 

Let the mafia and Soprano jokes begin.

 

790 down here has been making the jokes for an hour now.

 

I also like that Dan Le Batard has been calling Parcells "Tuna Asserole"

  • Author

Apparently he will coach the Dolphins, after they interview minorities.

That's what I hate about the Rooney rule.

 

Yeah, in situations like this, it can be unfair to everyone involved.

Kenny Mayne is not even the least bit funny. At all.

 

He thinks he is, though, which is kinda sad

Kenny Mayne is not even the least bit funny. At all.

 

He thinks he is, though, which is kinda sad

OMG PEOPLE HAV DIFFRUN SENSE OF DA HUMORZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

What's the deal with the Tony Soprano references? I don't get it.

 

The names, they are rather similar.

Oh, I didn't even realize it was Sparano. My mind showed me 'Soprano'. Nevermind.

The Dolphins just made a nice hire

 

 

Over the last few years, I've had the pleasure of getting to know the Dolphins' new GM, Jeff Ireland. We actually went to college together at Baylor, but I only knew him as the kicker for our No. 7 ranked football team in 1991. (We did not finish at No. 7, but that's irrelevant)

 

Jeff was destined for a career in NFL personnel ever since he started spending summers with his grandfather Jim Parmer, a legendary scout who helped build the Bears' 1985 championship team. He joined the Cowboys as a national scout in 2001, and was promoted to vice president of college and pro scouting for the club before the 2005 draft.

 

At 38, he's already earned respect around the league for his relentless work ethic and organizational skills. From the start, Bill Parcells and Ireland's predecessor, Admin Lacewell, were not on the same page. And that's why owner Jerry Jones had to force one of his closest friends into early retirement.

 

Parcells immediately tapped Ireland to run the scouting department, although he waited a couple of months before making it official. Recently, I had the rare opportunity to watch a college football game with Ireland. When a Baylor defensive back intercepted Texas quarterback Colt McCoy, I turned to Ireland to say something about how great the play was.

 

"The kid doesn't have any straight-line speed," Ireland shot back.

 

He admits that he's no longer capable of watching a game for pure enjoyment, and that's what makes him so appealing to Parcells. When the legendary former coach watches college games on TV, he's always trying to envision how he would use certain players.

 

Earlier today I called the Cowboys' former assistant director of pro scouting, Bryan Broaddus, for some background on Ireland.

 

"Jeff is very, very articulate," Broaddus said. "He's able to paint a picture of a player that everybody in the room can understand. He can quickly think of a couple of players to compare a prospect to, and that's a great trait. And I think one of the most admirable things about him is that he's not afraid to go against the group.

 

"He'll respectfully disagree without beating you over the head. And when we went a different direction, he was able to move on to the next battle. He'll be a GM who works shoulder to shoulder with his scouts, and those guys will enjoy that."

 

I'm told Ireland tried to talk Parcells out of drafting USC left tackle Jacob Rogers before the 2004 draft, but was overruled. The Cowboys drafted Rogers as the No. 52 overall pick, and to my knowledge, he never played an offensive snap.

 

Now I don't believe for a second that Ireland will have final say on football decisions, but at least he won't rubber-stamp everything Parcells wants to do. I think the first order of business for the Dolphins will be deciding what direction to go at quarterback.

 

That is, after they hire Cowboys assistant head coach Tony Sparano to replace Cam Cameron.

 

For Hashmarks, I'm Matt Mosley.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-5-5...-nice-hire.html

I just loved the bolded part.

I'm really loving the Ireland hire. I hope he is given final say with the draft.

 

BTW, beef, I didn't hear the entire show, but is it true that the Sparano rumor came from someone on the Lebatard show saying he overhead Bill and Wayne talking about him and how he would be the next coach??

I'm really loving the Ireland hire. I hope he is given final say with the draft.

 

BTW, beef, I didn't hear the entire show, but is it true that the Sparano rumor came from someone on the Lebatard show saying he overhead Bill and Wayne talking about him and how he would be the next coach??

Yeah thats what Leby said. He also P*ssy'd out of a bar fight...

  • Author

I'm really loving the Ireland hire. I hope he is given final say with the draft.

 

BTW, beef, I didn't hear the entire show, but is it true that the Sparano rumor came from someone on the Lebatard show saying he overhead Bill and Wayne talking about him and how he would be the next coach??

 

Yeah, Guzzio, or however the hell you spell it.

  • Author

I'm really loving the Ireland hire. I hope he is given final say with the draft.

 

BTW, beef, I didn't hear the entire show, but is it true that the Sparano rumor came from someone on the Lebatard show saying he overhead Bill and Wayne talking about him and how he would be the next coach??

Yeah thats what Leby said. He also P*ssy'd out of a bar fight...

 

 

Hehe, yeah he did.

I'm really loving the Ireland hire. I hope he is given final say with the draft.

 

BTW, beef, I didn't hear the entire show, but is it true that the Sparano rumor came from someone on the Lebatard show saying he overhead Bill and Wayne talking about him and how he would be the next coach??

Yeah thats what Leby said. He also P*ssy'd out of a bar fight...

 

 

Hehe, yeah he did.

 

 

:lol sounds like I missed a good show, I'll have to check out the audio archives.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.