Anybody ever noticed?

TriCountyFish

the giant confederate flag is on 75 by lake city... someone needs to remind north florida and the rest of the south they lost the war...

This going to touch a hot point. So to clarrify from the start...No I am not a Confederate flag waving individual. Mainly because it isn't my heritage/history. My ancestors fought and died for the Union. But one needs to fully understand something before they form their own prejudices.

Flying the Confederate flag isn't really about the Civil War or the percieved issues surrounding that war. It's more about a peoples heritage. When folks see someone flying the Cuban flag (as an example only) do they then think those people are supporting Castro? Or the immediate pre-Castro Cuba which was basically run by US based mafia families? I don't. No matter how much anyone would want to say it's different, it's not. I don't agree with any attempt to take away a citizen's pride in their own heritage and history regardless if I agree with the politics surrounding it. Granted, there are "pockets" of individuals that are to be considered bigots and fly that particular flag as a symbol of their hatred, but it isn't the majority. This all comes back to knowing your own history because if those same individuals/groups knew their history I sincerely doubt they would be using that flag as a symbol of their hatred. And don't confuse what we were all taught in school on our history with our true history. That is most often a glamorized and/or self rightous viewpoint of our true history as a country. We could get far deeper into this topic and other historical topics such as where the Pilgrims were actually headed for and why they ended up opting for Plymouth Rock instead, but even in the slow off season this really isn't the format.

Don't want to make this a hot point, but wasn't the confederacy formed by states wishing to secede from the union in order to support their belief in slavery, amongst other things. It wasn't around since the start of this country but was formed to support a philosophy of racism. Also, the flag mostly seen now was the battle flag, not the earlier stars and bars, thus further supporting the racist theme of the confederacy and the fight to their so called right to keep men, women and children as slaves. This is quite different than a country with a flag that went through historic periods of times with different political systems. Don't tell me that the nazi flag is just a flag, like the confederacy, it was created to specifically represent an abhorrent belief.

Not even close. The main reason for this war was import tarifs. The North was becoming industrialized and wanted to tax imported goods. The South relied on cash crops such as tobacco and cotton and needed free trade for the economy to flourish. Because the North was becoming an area of factory workers the need for slavery there died out. The North had no real movement to abolish slavery though other than fringe ablolitionist groups. In fact, it was Southern states as a whole that abolished importing slaves from other nations. New York was the largest state involved in importing slaves from Africa to the USA even though most of the imported slaves left NY to be sent to plantations in the South. When the Yankees passed the Emancipation Proclomation it was as an act of war against the already seceeded South as a punishment act.

Neither you or I can simplistically say "the main reason" for war was.... As far as NY being the largest area of imported slaves, that speaks to the time line of this country, not the issues in 1861. NY was not the largest importer in 1861, and abolished slavery in the early 1800's. You make it seem that NY was a pro slavery at the start of the civil war. There were many issues for the war, constitutional, tariff, industrial as well as slavery and depending on what you read take your choice as to the "main" issue. So I may be closer than you think, but I do not care. The whole discussion to morph, and wow, from a comment about a billboard for the 97 Marlins to this, is quite interesting. Anyway, I cannot disagree with you, as history just does not lend itself to one reason as the cause of a major war.

There were actually Southern sympathizers in NY because of the shipping industry and the tarif issues. There was also a large number of Southerners in TN and GA who were anti-slavery as well but fought for the Confederacy since it was the neighborly think to do.

Not to beat a dead horse but...

1. As stated earlier, you can't compare waiving a CSA flag with a Cuban flag since one country exists and the doesn't. Cubans don't waive for heritage, they waive in exile with the hope of waiving in their home country. The fact is they lost and the loser shouldn't be waiving their flag.

2. As for the reason, for the war there were many. The overlapping reason was federalism v. statism (if that is a word). The south had always favored the Articles of Confederation (which is why the south mirrored it when forming their govt.). The Articles gave more power for the state while the Constitution (preferred by the north) involved a stronger federal govt. What the Civil War determined was which was to be the govt. federally strong govt. or federally weak govt. in comparison to the states.

That's my 2cents. As for the sign, well... Go Marlins (I guess) :thumbup

Not to beat a dead horse but...

1. As stated earlier, you can't compare waiving a CSA flag with a Cuban flag since one country exists and the doesn't. Cubans don't waive for heritage, they waive in exile with the hope of waiving in their home country. The fact is they lost and the loser shouldn't be waiving their flag.

I would "argue" this point all day long with you. For many reasons. And maybe someday at a game we will have that chance. But time to move on.