Best player in the NL

pb1300

Not Jimmy Rollins. I'd argue he's not a top 10 player in the NL.

You could argue that, but you'd be wrong.

Rollins went from slightly underrated before last season to way way way way overrated this season.

I don't know if he's an MVP-caliber guy (I don't think that should have been his), but we're not talking all offense, here. Ryan Braun in no way shape or form is a top 10 NL player right now. He is a butcher no matter where he is on the diamond. And while Zimmerman has shown he can do it all, and well, he hasn't excelled at anything but the glove.

Jimmy Rollins has everything. Hanley has everything, but better, excluding defense. I'd say they're damn close as of right now. Same goes for Wright. How many third basemen can be 30/30 guys with gold gloves?

Wright isn't a gold glove defender, despite the fact that he won a gold glove. It's a terribly meaningless award because the voters are lazy.

Rollins went from slightly underrated before last season to way way way way overrated this season.

I don't know if he's an MVP-caliber guy (I don't think that should have been his), but we're not talking all offense, here. Ryan Braun in no way shape or form is a top 10 NL player right now. He is a butcher no matter where he is on the diamond. And while Zimmerman has shown he can do it all, and well, he hasn't excelled at anything but the glove.

Jimmy Rollins has everything. Hanley has everything, but better, excluding defense. I'd say they're damn close as of right now. Same goes for Wright. How many third basemen can be 30/30 guys with gold gloves?

Wright isn't a gold glove defender, despite the fact that he won a gold glove. It's a terribly meaningless award because the voters are lazy.

See: Jeter, Derek

bobbob would be right on this one. Rollins = overrated

20-20-20-20 is overrated?

20-20-20-20 is arbitrary

Dude made 450 outs last season in his 700 PAs

He still had a RC/27 of 7.5.

Remember, we're talking about overall players, not hitters. You can't tell me there are 10 players in the National League that are better all around players than Rollins. Take into consideration the guy's speed and defense, and the position he plays at. You'd be foolish to say Rollins isn't a top 10 all around National League player.

When you say Top 10 players, that means, if I was building a team (regardless of position) that Jimmy Rollins would be in that top 10, that is not the case (specifically using RC/27 from last year)

C.Jones

Utley

Fielder

Wright

Holliday

Pujols

Helton

Hanley

Cabs

Howard

Dunn

Rollins was 19th... since Cabs isn't in the NL anymore, we can even bump him up to 18th

When you say Top 10 players, that means, if I was building a team (regardless of position) that Jimmy Rollins would be in that top 10, that is not the case (specifically using RC/27 from last year)

C.Jones

Utley

Fielder

Wright

Holliday

Pujols

Helton

Hanley

Cabs

Howard

Dunn

Rollins was 19th... since Cabs isn't in the NL anymore, we can even bump him up to 18th

Ah, but that's not what the question posed.

Top 10 "players" in the NL, not top 10 hitters.

C.Jones

Utley

Fielder

Wright

Holliday

Pujols

Helton

Hanley

Cabs

Howard

Dunn

That list is still fine, sans Fielder's defense, all of those players are "top 10" players

C.Jones

Utley

Fielder

Wright

Holliday

Pujols

Helton

Hanley

Cabs

Howard

Dunn

That list is still fine, sans Fielder's defense, all of those players are "top 10" players

Rollins ranked 7th in win shares last year in the National League with 28, and since Cabrera isn't in the league anymore, we'll put him at 6th. Win Shares are, of course, biased to teams that win more games, but they factor in defense, offense, and the ballpark you play in.

For Rollins to rank 7th in win shares considering the park he plays in and the fact that he hits in the same lineup as Utley and Howard, is pretty impressive.

As far as the Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley thing goes, It's soooo close, but I give Jimmy Rollins the edge for now. Both had 28 total win shares last year, but Rollins had 5.0 defensive win shares while Utley had 4.7.

It's really close, though.

C.Jones

Utley

Fielder

Wright

Holliday

Pujols

Helton

Hanley

Cabs

Howard

Dunn

My Top 10 NL Would be:

Holliday

Hanley

Rollings

Wright

Fielder

Reyes

Chipper

Phillips

Howard

Braun

Pujols is 13 on my list because i have Byrnes and El Caballo(Carlos Lee) before him.

C.Jones

Utley

Fielder

Wright

Holliday

Pujols

Helton

Hanley

Cabs

Howard

Dunn

My Top 10 NL Would be:

Holliday

Hanley

Rollings

Wright

Fielder

Reyes

Chipper

Phillips

Howard

Braun

Pujols is 13 on my list because i have Byrnes and El Caballo(Carlos Lee) before him.

Ack, no, Pujols doesn't belong outside the top 10... dude can play multiple positions, can run well, defend, hit awesomely ... NO WAY is he outside the top 10

I just can't accept Rollins as a top 10 player, he's a good player but he's just not top 10 in the league, especially as easily as you accept it. Just me, *shrugs*

Understandable. You just have to consider everything; his defense (which is good but not great), his speed, the position he plays at, etc.

Rollins is one of those players where you need to dig deep to realize his true value.

My Top 10 NL Would be:

Holliday

Hanley

Rollings

Wright

Fielder

Reyes

Chipper

Phillips

Howard

Braun

Eric Byrnes and Carlos Lee before Albert "f***ing" Pujols?

Eric Byrnes is a nice player, and he does some things well. He's fun to watch because he runs into walls and stuff. He's not even playing the same game as Pujols.

If not for Barry Bonds, Pujols has 3 MVP awards in 7 seasons, and he's finished in the top 4 6 times and the top 10 in every season. Are you kidding me? Dude's most similar players is Joe Dimaggio.

I just can't accept Rollins as a top 10 player, he's a good player but he's just not top 10 in the league, especially as easily as you accept it. Just me, *shrugs*

Understandable. You just have to consider everything; his defense (which is good but not great), his speed, the position he plays at, etc.

Rollins is one of those players where you need to dig deep to realize his true value.

FWIW, I will concede top 20 though

Come on, at least in the top 15...

Buy me a Philly Cheesesteak and we'll talk :lol

Buy me a Philly Cheesesteak and we'll talk :lol

Sure, I'd be glad to. After all, I owe ya one for creating my Sun Sox logo.

Geno's cheese steaks > All

:cheers

*just pretend the beers are cheese steaks*