Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jazz Music for Cocktail Hour

Featured Replies

I have been brainstorming for my wedding. One idea I absolutely love is having jazz music playing while guests arrive and cocktail hour.

 

Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin are two must-haves in the track list. Does anyone have any other song recommendations? I like Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong, for example. I am just not tooo familiar with their music.

Just go with anything from the following musicians, you can't go wrong:

 

Dave Brubek

Ella Fitzgerald

Miles Davis

Thelonious Monk

Vince Guaraldi

Winton Marsalis

 

By the way, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin are not jazz musicians. Those two fall into the "American Standards" category (more along the lines of big band or showtunes). True jazz is something else.

 

Whatever you do, just don't play Kenny G!!!!!!!!

Fantastic recommendations SoFla but I wouldn't suggest ANYTHING by those artists.

 

 

As much as I love Miles and Thelonius, some of the material can be a bit too "dark" for a cocktail hour at a wedding.

Everyone here is throwing out some great names and legends but it has to fit the mood of what he asked for. I like the idea of Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin, but I'd also suggest getting some nice jazz trio stuff. Just your basic piano-bass drums is simple enough, sounds good and doesn't intefere if people like to socialize. Some names in that relam I would suggest

 

Oscar Peterson

Bud Powell

Brad Mehldau (either of his two recent albums with Pat Metheny would be perfect, in my opinion)

  • Author

Thanks for the suggestions. But, I refuse to leave Ol Blue Eyes and Dino out. They're my favorites.

 

I really like Ella Fitzgerald too. Oh, and no, no Kenny G. I want classic stuff. ;)

Can't leave out some Bossa Nova stuff, anything withAntoio Carlos Jobim or Joao Gilberto is good.

  • 2 weeks later...

Etta James (At Last)

Billie Holiday

Sarah Vaughn

Pat Methany

Nat King Cole

 

What about some Big Band stuff??

 

If you want to add some contemporary stuff,

 

Harry Connick, Jr.

Norah Jones

Michael Buble

 

Bossa Nova stuff is good, I agree. Anything by Jobim is awesome. Trini Lopez & the Brazil 66 is good too. What about Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass??

 

Any good instrumental would be nice during the cocktail hour. It's not too heavy and your guests will be able to talk without being over powered by the music.

 

I know this might sound trivial but you must sit down with the DJ and give them your list of songs. I did this for both kid's Bar/Bat Mitzvah's and I was very happy. When you leave it up to someone else- your taste and theirs might not be in sync.

 

Have you thought of soundtracks to movies?

 

Gladiator

Troy

Meet Joe Black

Edward Scissorhands

Angels in the Outfield

Harry Potter

 

 

All are wonderful instrumental tracks as well. Just a suggestion- don't kill the messenger.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Yenta, I love Big Band.

 

I am thinking of switching the jazz for dinner time instead. I want to enjoy it too. :)

Lite Jazz during dinner would be an even better idea because it really is easy to talk around.

 

Big Band/Swing during the cocktail hour is an even better idea. People recognize the songs and even if they don't, they're upbeat enough to make anyone happy.

 

Some names that come to mind:

Louis Prima

Glen Miller

Benny Goodman

Artie Shaw

Tommy Dorsey

 

 

Look here for more info: Big Band info

 

I'd also start with songs you like and then, find out which bands did them

 

I also went a wedding of friends of mine who were into swing dancing and used "Moondance" by Van Morrison as their first dance. It was awesome. You should have a song that means something to both of you.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.