June 2, 200818 yr Minaya: Marlins are for real Florida Sun-Sentinel NEW YORK -- Count Omar Minaya among the biggest admirers of the upstart Marlins. In fact, the Mets' general manager didn't hesitate when asked if he believed the Marlins, with their majors-low $22 million payroll, could stay in the pennant race all the way through September. "Yes, I do," Minaya said before Tuesday's game at Shea Stadium. "I don't see why not because they're athletic and they're talented and they've got pitching." Minaya spent a good bit of time during batting practice chatting with high-ranking Marlins officials David Samson and Joel Mael. As the slumping Mets completed their daily ritual and the youthful Marlins stretched nearby, the three men shared plenty of laughs. Then Minaya excused himself to return to the home side, where a team-record $138 million payroll hasn't been able to buy the Mets so much as a winning record, much less the league-best mark the Marlins had through Monday's play. "I'm not surprised by it," Minaya said of the Marlins' fast start. "You're talking about a young group of core guys that have been developing there, guys like [Dan] Uggla and [Hanley] Ramirez. ... They've got some good veterans in [ Luis] Gonzalez and [ Wes] Helms and Jacque Jones. It's a good mix of guys." Minaya, who spent three seasons running the Expos (2002-04) before returning to the Mets in 2005, lavished praise on Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, manager Fredi Gonzalez, President of Baseball Operations Admin Beinfest, personnel guru Dan Jennings and the rest of the Marlins' scouting staff. He also pointed out the hidden advantage the Marlins have of operating in a low-revenue market that is less than baseball mad. "Look, in that environment, you can take chances on young guys and develop them," Minaya said. "I know that feeling because in Montreal you were able to take chances on young guys. In some big-market environments, you've got some kids that you have to go through some growing pains, and some of those kids come along." Minaya also predicted Loria would add to the payroll this summer if the Marlins remain in contention. "I've known Jeffrey for a long time," Minaya said. "Jeffrey is in this to win. If he gets close, Jeffrey is going to go out there and get a player." Eat your words OMAR! :gofish
June 2, 200818 yr Not a surprise. He's been one of our biggest fans for years hence why the Mutts have so many ex-Marlins on their roster.
June 2, 200818 yr I could care less what Minaya thinks about the Marlins or anyone . This just typical GM non talk honestly does anyone expect another GM to say we or any other team sucks
June 2, 200818 yr I could care less what Minaya thinks about the Marlins or anyone . This just typical GM non talk honestly does anyone expect another GM to say we or any other team sucks Thank you, you say it all
June 4, 200818 yr I hate the Mets but I have great respect for David Wright. I don't, I fart in his general direction. :lol
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.