Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Nolasco *ding* (Post Game Thread 6/15)

Featured Replies

I was very skeptical of Nolasco early in the year and voiced that on here, but I'm glad he's changed my mind. He's never going to be an ace but he has shown over the first portion of this season that there is no doubt he is a major league quality starter.

 

I was at the game (also at friday night's) and it was a fun series to watch, even though we only got one out of three.

Ricky is a strong 5th starter

 

How many 5th starters have a 12k game on their resume?

 

I'm guessing not many.

 

I like Ricky against agressive teams where he can get them swinging and missing at his breaking stuff. It will be a test in his next start vs the Patient A's.

 

He may be 5th in the rotation but he certainly isn't our "5th" starter... doing it all again he'd probably be our second/third behind Olsen/Miller with Hendrickson and Tucker at the back end...

 

Just sayin'

And be honest. How many of you complaining now would be complaining if Fredi hadn't brought him out for the 9th???

 

Why would anyone be complaining? He wasn't going for the shutout after 8 innings and the Marlins had a pretty commanding lead. After seeing the result leaving our young pitchers in too long/overworking them in recent years, I doubt many fans were clammoring for a CG, Nolasco's arm be damned.

And be honest. How many of you complaining now would be complaining if Fredi hadn't brought him out for the 9th???

 

Why would anyone be complaining? He wasn't going for the shutout after 8 innings and the Marlins had a pretty commanding lead. After seeing the result leaving our young pitchers in too long/overworking them in recent years, I doubt many fans were clammoring for a CG, Nolasco's arm be damned.

 

I was surprised he came out for the ninth, but once he did I was dissapointed that he didn't finish. Then again, at that many pitches, its not a bad thing.

And be honest. How many of you complaining now would be complaining if Fredi hadn't brought him out for the 9th???

 

Why would anyone be complaining? He wasn't going for the shutout after 8 innings and the Marlins had a pretty commanding lead. After seeing the result leaving our young pitchers in too long/overworking them in recent years, I doubt many fans were clammoring for a CG, Nolasco's arm be damned.

 

Like I said, he just didn't look fatigued to me. If this game had been outside in the heat and humidity, and/or he wasn't going to get that extra off day, I doubt very much we would have seen him in the 9th. It is a good point about leaving young pitchers in due to our recent history. I'm as skittish as the next guy on that topic right now. We were watching that pitch count after every pitch in the 9th and wondering. But the stars were aligned for this one. There were guys in the pen stretching and warming up from about the 7th on (did they show that on TV?) so it's not like Fredi was sold on him going that long.

I was very skeptical of Nolasco early in the year and voiced that on here, but I'm glad he's changed my mind. He's never going to be an ace but he has shown over the first portion of this season that there is no doubt he is a major league quality starter.

 

I was at the game (also at friday night's) and it was a fun series to watch, even though we only got one out of three.

Ricky is a strong 5th starter

 

You're crazy. I don't know if Ricky will ever by an ACE, but he has the potential to be a hell of a lot more than a 5th starter. How many 5th starters throw a mid 90's fastball, along with a great curve ball? He is a work in progress, but the only thing holding him back is his inconsistency. This split fingered fastball or cut fastball, whatever it is, could be what elevates his game to another level.

 

Also, I have no problems with him throwing 130 pitches. How about the times that Fredi pulls him with less than a 100 pitches? It all evens out. He really didn't have to labor out there until the 9th. As long as it doesn't become a trend, I have no problem with high pitch counts whenever a pitcher is having a dominant performance. If anything Fredi tends to baby our starters too much.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.