Common Sense

The_Godfather

I agree with Paul on principle, and he blows away any politician in Washington on the Economy.

But now we have to deal with the situation at hand. I don't think Paul is being practical here. I would like to see a specific proposal from him, he sounds like he is expecting a doom scenario and we are too deep into the mud to be rescued. He is probably right, but that's not a reason for inaction

A major problem in this country is the fact that when something bad happens, people want the government to act. The problem is when government action causes a problem, further action does not necessarily remedy the problem.

the problem is that the government has intervened with the economy and is a big part of this mess. I don't think we can cut the umbilical cord now and let the "market sort itself out"...doing that would be the equivalent of dropping a nuke on ourselves.

BTW: Props to Fox for giving Ron Paul a full ten minutes to speak today with all that is going on. I wish more networks would put him on like this more often.

Thanks for the link; but, to be fair -- CNN had Paul's editorial on their front page a day earlier:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/23/pau...lout/index.html

Everyone should read it, and watch the video. I am not a Paul follower, but on this issue we are in agreement.

A major problem in this country is the fact that when something bad happens, people want the government to act. The problem is when government action causes a problem, further action does not necessarily remedy the problem.

the problem is that the government has intervened with the economy and is a big part of this mess. I don't think we can cut the umbilical cord now and let the "market sort itself out"...doing that would be the equivalent of dropping a nuke on ourselves.

To put it simply, government intervention right now will merely prolong the agony and actually escalate the blow when we experience a final collapse. This is why Paul is calling for one bad year over a bad 10+ years when we experience severe hyperinflation.

The damage done thus far has been so detrimental that there is no way a major crisis could be averted. Paul advocates allowing the immediate consequences to happen while drastically altering the system. The worst case scenario is prolonged suffering from hyperinflation and the current proposals at hand are moving us in that direction.

Pauls' scenario has merit, but unrealistic.

No one can predict with certainty the effects of any of these actions. Not in one or 10 years. Don't get me wrong, Paul and you may be 110% right. And I agree with Paul a lot. But the Great Depression II is not going to bring the changes that are needed. What got us here was the system resulting from the Great Depression to begin with....