Colin Powell to Endorse Obama?

FutureGM

A brief article by NBC's Lawrence O'Donnell that appeared on the Huffington Post earlier:

Colin Powell Is Ready To Endorse

by Lawrence O'Donnell

Posted October 15, 2008 | 09:22 AM (EST)

When Colin Powell turns off his TV after the final presidential debate, he will have learned everything he is going to learn about the candidates vying to succeed his former boss, George W. Bush. Powell has made it clear that he has been thinking about an endorsement for a long time but wanted to hear more from the candidates before making his choice. It now seems beyond doubt that Colin Powell will endorse Barack Obama and thereby hammer the final nail in the coffin of the Republican campaign to hold onto the White House.

The recent ugliness of the McCain-Palin rally audiences cannot be lost on Colin Powell. And Powell is not one to ignore a 14 point lead in a New York Times poll. But most important for Powell and the press will be his explicit rejection of the Bush-McCain approach to Iraq, Iran and the rest of the world.

Powell's endorsement will be perfectly timed to dominate a news cycle or two. It will give Obama the one thing he still needs more of--credibility as Commander-In-Chief. And Sarah Palin's speechwriters will be hard pressed to come up with a condescending quip about it.

Link

This could be BIG.

I bet you people will call him racist because people will believe he is only voting for Obama because he is black. That's just how it is, regardless.

But I like Powell now. It takes real balls to stand up for what you believe, regardless of whether he is a democrat or republican, he is going to endorse who he believes is the better candidate, and for him, that is Obama. Bravo.

I bet you people will call him racist because people will believe he is only voting for Obama because he is black. That's just how it is, regardless.

But I like Powell now. It takes real balls to stand up for what you believe, regardless of whether he is a democrat or republican, he is going to endorse who he believes is the better candidate, and for him, that is Obama. Bravo.

Powell stood up for what he believed in when he went against the Bush administration on Iraq policy back in 02-03. In fact, he has a history of sticking to his guns.

Powell stood up for what he believed in when he went against the Bush administration on Iraq policy back in 02-03. In fact, he has a history of sticking to his guns.

That's extremely true, I believe many of the democrats even endorsed the Iraq war. All I am saying is get ready for many people to start calling him racist. When you have a black man running for prez, you are bound to see a public figure get criticized for racism

That's extremely true, I believe many of the democrats even endorsed the Iraq war. All I am saying is get ready for many people to start calling him racist. When you have a black man running for prez, you are bound to see a public figure get criticized for racism

Its already happened. If you're black and you endorse him its because of race, if you're white and you don't you're a racist. Typical stupidity.

Its already happened. If you're black and you endorse him its because of race, if you're white and you don't you're a racist. Typical stupidity.

well we all saw this coming. Racism still exists. It always will, regardless. Sad that it does, because it ruins the elections and many votes that end up deciding the election are based off of idiots who haven't watched a single debate between the candidates in their lives.

Racism will exist as long as the fiction of race continues to exist.

Race is a social fabrication. Race implies that people exist in certain groups based on skin color, and that these groupings occur at birth. However, race is not real, there is no difference biologically between white, people black people etc. (I'm not referring to prevalence of sickle cell anemia and the such, I'm tlaking about intelligence, ability etc.)

As long as we as a nation continue to accept grouping by the fiction of race, there will always be the other, which is the racist.

Rush Limbaugh has apparently been yelling on his show that this was all about race...even though in the same interview on Sunday, Powell listed a bunch of reasons why he's voting for Obama.

Wait.

People actually take Rush Limbaugh seriously?

Are you serious?

Way too many people consider the likes of Limbaugh and Hannity to be the only real sources of news and opinion.

Rush Limbaugh has apparently been yelling on his show that this was all about race...even though in the same interview on Sunday, Powell listed a bunch of reasons why he's voting for Obama.

Wait.

People actually take Rush Limbaugh seriously?

Are you serious?

Way too many people consider the likes of Limbaugh and Hannity to be the only real sources of news and opinion.

Man, that's sad.

I don't think anybody believes that Powell was ever a true Republican... he served in the Bush administration to make sure they wouldn't screw things up, and when they didn't listen to him and they did screw things up, he left.

I think being made a fool of in front of the UN with Cheney's WMD powerpoint presentation still stings.

And yes, Rush and Buchanan have already jumped on that race wagon.

I don't think anybody believes that Powell was ever a true Republican... he served in the Bush administration to make sure they wouldn't screw things up, and when they didn't listen to him and they did screw things up, he left.

I think being made a fool of in front of the UN with Cheney's WMD powerpoint presentation still stings.

The problem is that if Gen. Powell really is voting for Obama solely because of race, we'll never know the truth. He wasn't going to come out and say it. I respect the Powell, so I'll take him on his word that it isn't based on race, but we'll never really know the truth. Had he endorsed John Kerry, then this would be a nonissue.

The problem is that if Gen. Powell really is voting for Obama solely because of race, we'll never know the truth. He wasn't going to come out and say it. I respect the Powell, so I'll take him on his word that it isn't based on race, but we'll never really know the truth. Had he endorsed John Kerry, then this would be a nonissue.

Watch his Meet the Press interview, and you will find out his whole reasoning for why he is voting Obama.

To summarize what I heard:

-Dislikes the GOP moving further to the right

-Repelled by the McCain campaign's negativity

-Thought that Obama had passed the 'Commander in Chief' test

Watch his Meet the Press interview, and you will find out his whole reasoning for why he is voting Obama.

To summarize what I heard:

-Dislikes the GOP moving further to the right

-Repelled by the McCain campaign's negativity

-Thought that Obama had passed the 'Commander in Chief' test

Please re-read my post. I already know what he SAID in regards to this issue, but no one except him knows what he's thinking. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but in the end there's no way to know the truth.

"Solely" because of race is a pretty big reach. I mean I don't think he'd be voting for Alan Keyes or Jesse Jackson.

That's fair enough though. I think it's more for the same reasons some other prominent conservatives are. Ken Adelman's endorsed Obama now too, another former Republican Secretary of State. Doug Kmeic, Buckley Jr, etc. And you hear admissions of the same from the Noonan/Brooks/Will crowd. I just don't think they like McCain's temperament basically, and feel Obama's more pragmatic/intelligent/measured/better judgement/whatever.

And Republicans claiming Powell is backing Obama because of race are not exactly helping themselves.