Third Debate Thread

Dodge

I think Obama handled the pressure pretty well, I think he avoided answering the questions but came across has saying lets go McCain. Once again I think Obama seems more presidential, but if we looked at transcripts and points tonight I think McCain did a good job of attacking Obama on a lot of things and Obama really never answered things. He laughed, or said not true.

I think perception wins so Obama may win, but it was the best debate so far.

I've really enjoyed it. I consider myself a pretty open person and have been disappointed with McCain the first two debates. This time, the McCain that I like is coming to play hardball. I wanted him to do that because I want to see if Obama can play hardball, too.

Disclaimer: By hardball, I mean hardball between the two major political parties. Before any particular poster comes onto this thread and proclaims that the two major political parties are too inherently useless, flawed, corrupted, and impotent to play said hardball, I want any reader to know that my post considers only the two candidates in the debate - you know, the ones who actually would win the election.

It was extremely annoying that many times when Obama was making a valid arguement, McCain interrupted him not by stating why that was false, but by simply laughing in such an ignorant, contradictory way that makes him come across as an a** hole.

I thought for the first time McCain won. Obama got away from that thing that was going to win the election for him: He stopped throwing the Bush jab at him. That is why he won the first two, he constantly threw that Bush jab and McCain just couldn't get away from it, Obama for some reason got away from it in this debate...horrible move. McCain got angry and Said "I'm NOT Bush" and after that Obama backed off. It worked.

McCain was on the offense all night...He also did what he should have done from the beginning: Make it about Obama being more BIG government, we don't need big government, it doesn't work, it will never work, Obama is big government.

He also brought up how we don't need to tax ANYONE, doesn't matter how rich, you just don't tax people more money, he did a great job of bringing that up. Will it be enough? Who knows...Obama also looked flustered for the first time.

I thought for the first time McCain won. Obama got away from that thing that was going to win the election for him: He stopped throwing the Bush jab at him. That is why he won the first two, he constantly threw that Bush jab and McCain just couldn't get away from it, Obama for some reason got away from it in this debate...horrible move. McCain got angry and Said "I'm NOT Bush" and after that Obama backed off. It worked.

McCain was on the offense all night...He also did what he should have done from the beginning: Make it about Obama being more BIG government, we don't need big government, it doesn't work, it will never work, Obama is big government.

He also brought up how we don't need to tax ANYONE, doesn't matter how rich, you just don't tax people more money, he did a great job of bringing that up. Will it be enough? Who knows...Obama also looked flustered for the first time.

pretty much my sentiment.

At the end, Obama did what he needed to do..but I don't think anyone was expecting this last debate to be a game changer.

Joe the Plumber got some pretty good air time.

McCain came off extremely desperate tonight. Clearly you could tell that he was trying to find a weak point in Obama's defense, but he was not successful. I also noticed that McCain made a LOT more verbal slips than I've seen in the other debate.

Obama stuck to the winning plan for the most part, and came off just as cool as before.

One thing that was probably a big mistake was that McCain ridiculed the idea that the health of the woman should be a focus of abortion decisions. It was also tiring to hear McCain continuously talking about the 'pro-abortion' side, which is a really bad name for the pro-choice side.

McCain failed miserably in launching the Ayers attack, which Obama deftly parried with his defense. He additionally made good points in response to the attack on him about ACORN.

Here's the thing...

Yes, McCain did a good job by saying that he is NOT Bush.

What he failed to do was explain why he is not. That's my take, at least. Anybody can say they're this or that, but if you don't explain why...then it's useless.

I cant remember the specifics of the examples he brought up, but he brought up his experience working with democrats ( finegold, lieberman and another i cant remember) on bills that the republicans have almost kicked him out of the party for and how he differed from Bush on immigration, conduct of the war, spending and torture. He SHOULD have spent more time on it though.