College Football Thread - Week 9

Orlando Rays

Sorry I'm late. Stayed up all night Sunday night. :mischief

USC finagled its way into the Top 5 in the first BCS poll.

BCS Poll Top 25 as of October 19, 2008 (Harris, Coaches, Comp Avg., Points)

1. Texas (1, 1, 1, .9979)

2. Alabama (2, 2, 2, .9487)

3. Penn State (3, 3, 7, .8666)

4. Oklahoma (4, 5, 4, .8319)

5. USC (5, 4, 10, .7751)

6. Oklahoma State (8, 8, 3, .7727)

7. Georgia (9, 9, 6, .7201)

8. Texas Tech (7, 6, 11, .7127)

9. Ohio State (10, 10, 5, .7030)

10. Florida (6, 7, 12, .6690)

11. Utah (12, 12, 8, .6345)

12. Boise State (13, 13, 9, .5870)

13. LSU (11, 11, T-19, .4987)

14. TCU (15, 15, 13, .4197)

15. Missouri (16, 16, 14, .3682)

16. South Florida (14, 14, 23, .3296)

17. Pitt (18, 20, 15, .2831)

18. Georgia Tech (22, 21, 16, .2405)

19. Tulsa (21, 19, 18, .2368)

20. Ball State (20, 22, 17, .2342)

21. BYU (17, 17, T-25, .2171)

22. Northwestern (26, 24, T-19, .1620)

23. Kansas (19, 18, NR, .1489)

24. Minnesota (25, 25, T-21, .1426)

25. FSU (23, 23, T-27, .1120)

The computers were good to Pitt, Northwestern, Boise State, Utah and Oklahoma State, and very bad to USC, Florida, LSU, South Florida, BYU, Kansas (who failed to get ranked in any computers, ouch) and FSU.

Results for Florida teams:

AP #5 Florida (5-1) had a bye

AP #19 South Florida (6-1) beat Syracuse (1-6), 45-13

FSU (5-1) beat North Carolina State (2-4), 26-17 (and they got ranked?!)

Miami (4-3) Duke (3-3), 49-31

FIU (3-4) lost to Troy (4-2), 33-23

UCF (2-4) had a bye

FAU (2-5) beat Western Kentucky (2-6), 24-20

Bethune-Cookman (4-2) had a bye

FAMU (5-2) beat Southern University (4-3), 52-49

Jacksonville (4-3) beat Morehead State (3-4), 40-9

Schedule for Florida teams:

BCS #10 Florida vs. Kentucky (5-2), Saturday 10/25 @ 12:30pm

BCS #16 South Florida @ Louisville (4-2), Saturday 10/25 @ 3:30pm

BCS #25 FSU vs. Virginia Tech (5-2), Saturday 10/25 @ 3:30pm

Miami vs. Wake Forest (4-2), Saturday 10/25 @ Noon

FIU has a bye

UCF vs. Tulsa (7-0), Sunday 10/26 @ 8:00pm

FAU @ Louisiana-Monroe (2-5), Saturday 10/25 @ 7:00pm

FAMU @ Norfolk State (2-5), Saturday 10/25 @ 1:00pm

Bethune-Cookman @ Winston-Salem (2-5), Saturday 10/25 @ 2:00pm

Jacksonville vs. San Diego (6-0), Saturday 10/25 @ 1:00pm

FAU wins on a 22 yard TD pass with 20 seconds left. They overcame a 21-0 ULM lead after a quarter and a half. From that point on, the team that won the Sun Belt and the NO Bowl last year finally made it's first appearence this season. That's two in a row for the Owls after a miserable start. North Texas is next after a bye week...so that should be 3 straight. GO OWLS!

So I just had to rant about this, maybe someone can explain this to me... yesterday's game Va Tech at FSU: I am paraphrasing the details, but Va Tech was down 10 with about two minutes left in the game, had the ball on their own 35 yard line and on 4th and ten with only 1 or 2 timeouts remaining, they decide to punt the ball...What's up with that???

I know chances are small that they will pick up the first down, but by punting you are just completely giving up on the game. You need two possessions to win, instead you're giving the ball back to the opponent and can only hope to get the ball back with about a minute left to score twice. Now...yes I had money on the game and wanted the meaningless TD :lol but if you were a fan of that team or the AD, wouldn't you be furious with the head coach? Why absolutely just give up on a game you still have a small chance to win with two minutes remaining? Makes no sense to me...

So I just had to rant about this, maybe someone can explain this to me... yesterday's game Va Tech at FSU: I am paraphrasing the details, but Va Tech was down 10 with about two minutes left in the game, had the ball on their own 35 yard line and on 4th and ten with only 1 or 2 timeouts remaining, they decide to punt the ball...What's up with that???

I know chances are small that they will pick up the first down, but by punting you are just completely giving up on the game. You need two possessions to win, instead you're giving the ball back to the opponent and can only hope to get the ball back with about a minute left to score twice. Now...yes I had money on the game and wanted the meaningless TD :lol but if you were a fan of that team or the AD, wouldn't you be furious with the head coach? Why absolutely just give up on a game you still have a small chance to win with two minutes remaining? Makes no sense to me...

Well, when they did that, there was just over a minute remaining in the game. Probably the only chance they had at winning was if they threw a 70 yard pass for a touchdown, recovered the onside kick, threw a deep pass down the field to get into FSU territory, called a timeout, and then they would have had to pray that they would have made the field goal to send the game into overtime.

The chances of that happening with a 1st string, or even a 2nd string quarterback? = Less than 1% chance

The chances of that happening with a 3rd string quarterback, when you have only gained 38 yards of total offense in the entire second half? = .00000000000000001% chance

You get the point. If it was just a one score game, it would have been a whole different story. Once they knew the game was out of reach though, there was no point in trying to keep fighting.

Well, when they did that, there was just over a minute remaining in the game. Probably the only chance they had at winning was if they threw a 70 yard pass for a touchdown, recovered the onside kick, threw a deep pass down the field to get into FSU territory, called a timeout, and then they would have had to pray that they would have made the field goal to send the game into overtime.

The chances of that happening with a 1st string, or even a 2nd string quarterback? = Less than 1% chance

The chances of that happening with a 3rd string quarterback, when you have only gained 38 yards of total offense in the entire second half? = .00000000000000001% chance

You get the point. If it was just a one score game, it would have been a whole different story. Once they knew the game was out of reach though, there was no point in trying to keep fighting.

Yea but, ok...I wasn't sure at the exact time left, and yes I do agree that chances of them scoring twice in little over a minute are definitely tiny...but by punting you have 0% chance of winning. At least if you go for it you have a 1% (or whatever) chance of winning the game.

I just don't understand the logic of completely giving up like that with time remaining and you still have a chance, albeit small.

Yea but, ok...I wasn't sure at the exact time left, and yes I do agree that chances of them scoring twice in little over a minute are definitely tiny...but by punting you have 0% chance of winning. At least if you go for it you have a 1% (or whatever) chance of winning the game.

I just don't understand the logic of completely giving up like that with time remaining and you still have a chance, albeit small.

I see what you're saying, but there's also no point in risking injury. The best thing to do once you have lost your two top QB's is to head into the locker room, regroup, and fgure out what you can do for the next game.