Diego Maradona named Argentina NT Head Coach

METSrosexual

Confirmed yesterday after meeting with AFA president Julio Grondona. I dont know what to make of this, but as of now Im a bit scared. Its a little less than 2 years to South Africa 2010 and a man with basically NO coaching record (actually a really bad one) has been given the helm of a team in shambles. Hes already started to clean house on a couple of names that were staples on the team for the past 4 years. He wants no more of Esteban Cambiasso and Javier Zanetti. I was never to big on Cambiasso, and while I love Zanetti, I do agree his age is catching up with him. A starting eleven has been named, and while Im not too thrilled with the back line, I dont think you can do much better on a world level than who he named from the midfield up. Javier Mascherano and Fernando Gago in contention with Angel Di Maria feeding a trident of Carlitos Tevez, Kun Aguero, and Lionel Messi.

On a positive note, managing the team and providing assistance to Diego will be coaching legend Carlos Bilardo, winner of Mexico 86 and runner up in Italia 90 with Argentina. A couple of the players from the winning team from 86 will have roles on the squad as well.

Theres basically no time for errors, and while I can find a million better coaches for the job than Diego, I cant think of one person better for motivating an Argentine player. No one has more passion, heart, or love for that sky blue and white shirt. And no one is idolized by an entire nation as much as he is. Hes off the drugs, lost a ton of weight and I can imagine how fired up a player can get having "el 10" give a pregame speech in the locker room. Please, please, please be a pleasant surprise.

And I believe his first game in charge will be against the mighty Scots in November in a friendly

Maradona in Glasgow - love it!

And btw, why is Tevez guaranteed a starting role? He never really gets a game for Man Utd now since they got Berbatov.

Sergio Batista, the coach of the Gold Medal winning team in Beijing will be the coach for the Scotland game, he was told as soon as Basile resigned. Maradonas first game in charge will be against Venezuela in Febuary, when the last round of CONMEBOL qualifiers begin.

And Tevez should have a spot, the guy may not be a scoring machine, but Id like to see someone that plays harder and hustles more than him.

I agree a house-cleaning is in order and Maradona is probably up to the task. It's after the house-cleaning that I have my doubts. You can't deny his passion but in the past his passion has gotten in the way of good judgement. Maybe Bilardo will help.

I agree 100% with his passion sometimes getting in the way of good judgement. While Im worried because of his poor coaching record, what gives me hope is that its him. Hes got a great eye for the game, can pick the talent, and if theres anyone that can motivate a kid, its him.

Plus, Aguero's about to be the father of his grandchild, so you know hes gonna wanna give everything hes got and bleed on the field for his future father in law!!!

I think this is the worst thing Argentina could have done and i've told you this. What's with big name players taking on national teams anyway? .... Van Basten for Holland, Klinsman for Germany, now Maradona for Argentina.

and I think Cambiasso is a big mistake. there's no one better at his position than him, you wanna talk about hustle, that's hustle. I think a combo of Cambiasso & Mascherano up the middle is a lot better than Mascherano & Gago. Cambiasso is a difference maker.

Either way aside from Messi & Kun Aguero there isnt much to Argentina, they are really lacking creativity. I think a player like Zarate could really spark up that team

I think this is the worst thing Argentina could have done and i've told you this. What's with big name players taking on national teams anyway? .... Van Basten for Holland, Klinsman for Germany, now Maradona for Argentina.

and I think Cambiasso is a big mistake. there's no one better at his position than him, you wanna talk about hustle, that's hustle. I think a combo of Cambiasso & Mascherano up the middle is a lot better than Mascherano & Gago. Cambiasso is a difference maker.

Either way aside from Messi & Kun Aguero there isnt much to Argentina, they are really lacking creativity. I think a player like Zarate could really spark up that team

Riquelme?

And Zarate tore it up in the Under 21 World Cup that Argentina won last year. I've always wanted a starting spot on the team for him, El Pocho Lavezzi and a new kid who wears (but doesnt get much time due to his youth) the #9 jersey for Chelsea, Franco Di Santo. He's a tall striker who can bring back memories of a Crespo/Batistuta type aerial scorer in the box. I like "los enanos", but damn forget about crosses and corners. I think Argentina is a pretty well balanced team, with a core of dominating position players like Messi, Aguero, and Mascherano to build around.

And dont cut Gago down, hes been coming into his own, and is showing signs of Andrea Pirlo. Hes only 21 too.

The only weakness I can see is the flanks, be it on defense and midfield. Heinze shouldnt be making too many runs up, and the right side is open now. On offense, I was never too keen on Maxi, despite his hustle and leadership. Lucho I can deal with. Hoping Gabi Milito comes back healthy, I totally trust a back line of Milito-Demichelis, a nice mix of technical talent and a rough presence.

If I was manager and was called to make a list of 23, itd be this one:

GK - Juan Pablo Carrizo (LAZIO)

GK- Sergio Romero (AZ ALKMAAR)

D- Gabriel Milito (BARCELONA)

D- Martin Demichelis (BAYERN MUNICH)

D- Ezequiel Garay (REAL MADRID loan to RACING SANTANDER)

D- Gabriel Heinze (REAL MADRID)

D- Pablo Zabaleta (MANCHESTER CITY)

D- Fabian Monzon (REAL BETIS)

D- Hugo Ibarra (BOCA JUNIORS)

M- Javier Mascherano (LIVERPOOL)

M- Fernando Gago (REAL MADRID)

M- Lucho Gonzalez (PORTO)

M- Angel Di Maria (BENFICA)

M- Juan Roman Riquelme (BOCA JUNIORS)

M- Jonas Gutierrez (NEWCASTLE)

M- Ever Banega (ATLETICO MADRID)

M- Diego Buonanotte (RIVER PLATE)

F- Lionel Messi (BARCELONA)

F- Kun Aguero (ATLETICO MADRID)

F- Carlos Tevez (MANCHESTER UNITED)

F- Ezequiel Lavezzi (NAPOLI)

F- Gonzalo Higuain (REAL MADRID)

F- Mauro Zarate (LAZIO)

Not trying to be a homer, but theres a ton of talent on that team.

• 2 weeks later...

Maradona was in attendance for Real Madrid's Champions League match against Roma Wednesday but didn't get to watch either of the players he went to see - Higuain or Gago. But then Higuain goes out and scores 4 yesterday against Malaga. It was definitely a statement for him. I would like to see Real play him more. I think he's making a case to be the complement to Messi up front for Maradonas team.

Maradona was in attendance for Real Madrid's Champions League match against Roma Wednesday but didn't get to watch either of the players he went to see - Higuain or Gago. But then Higuain goes out and scores 4 yesterday against Malaga. It was definitely a statement for him. I would like to see Real play him more. I think he's making a case to be the complement to Messi up front for Maradonas team.

U mean against Juventus in the Champions League.

Higuain and Eto'o of Barcelona each scored 4 last night - wonder if that had ever been done before in the same night in La Liga....

U mean against Juventus in the Champions League.

Higuain and Eto'o of Barcelona each scored 4 last night - wonder if that had ever been done before in the same night in La Liga....

Right, Juve. My bad.

Yeah they both jumped up in the Golden Boot rankings.

This guy is suppose to be a gay... right?

Isn't everyone on Real Madrid gay?

hands down my nomination for post of the year

not that there is any nominations or whatever but its definately my own personal vote of the year

You guys are racist. Against gays and against Real Madrid.

I have nothing against gays. I even support gay marriage. If Guti wants to divorce his wife and marry Sergio Ramos ...I'm ok with it. :mischief

Terry Butcher isnt our "Head Coach" as u like to call it

George Burley is our manager with Butcher being an assistant.

I dont mind Butcher seeing as he played for Rangers however I dont know what he was thinking saying the other day he will never forgive Maradona. Its the easiest way for the whole of Scotland to turn on him as Maradona has legend status here. Diego responded by saying Butcher and the English cant call anyone cheats for the "goal" by Geoff Hurst in the 66 WC final which NEVER CROSSED THE LINE!

I

I dont mind Butcher seeing as he played for Rangers however I dont know what he was thinking saying the other day he will never forgive Maradona. Its the easiest way for the whole of Scotland to turn on him as Maradona has legend status here. Diego responded by saying Butcher and the English cant call anyone cheats for the "goal" by Geoff Hurst in the 66 WC final which NEVER CROSSED THE LINE!

I

I