January 10, 200917 yr Author I always enjoy going to a ball game, regardless of the conditions or the outcome... but, as I've told this story before... I just can't enjoy being around people that potentially sat back and watched a woman die because they couldn't be bothered to get off their butts. (The detail is that a woman was having some sort of attack around the 7th-8th inning... so I spent the latter third of the game running through the concourses flagging down medical personnel... what's worse was their indifference as EMTs came out to where she was in the outfield to treat her - because we had told them she needed help and I guess they thought we were BSing them. Wow...just wow.....that sounds like a lawsuit......I wonder if she did anything or her family in her behalf ?
January 11, 200917 yr Besides the repetitiousness of it, the contention that there are no Marlins fans in South Florida is patently false and deserves to be called out. It isn't by accident that TV ratings are as good as they are, the simple truth is fans have given up on the stadium experience and not the franchise, no matter how many times the media wants to say otherwise. I was with ya right up to that statement. Disagree wholeheartedly. If it's the place to be seen, they will be there. Opening Day, Super Saturdays, play offs.... Why haven't they given up on the "stadium experience" then?? But to save time and space let's just switch to a million other threads on that issue and reread them. I have no problem with them criticizing our dismal attendance records. It's true and it is something that is shameful. Which is probably why so many around here complain about it being brought up. I find it ridiculous to be complaining about something that you can actually do something about and yet refuse to do so. What these people need to be complaining about is when they substitute "attendance" with "fan base." That wouldn't be true and gives reason and validity to criticism from people. Bob, I didn't mean "the place to be seen" kind of experience. I meant the lousy food, sun-burned kids, rain delays, mocking by stadium personnel for being Marlins fans, ushers who won't do anything about roudiness or drunken behavior, the lousy sightlines for the regular fan, the f***** heat, etc. As each successive season has gone on families especially, have decided it's a lot more friendly and comfortable to stay at home and watch the game on TV in air-conditioned comfort than deal with Dolphin Stadium and all it's issues when it comes to baseball in the summer. Except for the heat issue, I have never experienced any of that. Especially as of late. Apparently you have. I don't know what to say about that. Except for what I believe you already know. Lousy Food? I don't think you go to a ball game and expect top of the line food from every vendor. Can't think of one stadium (football, soccer, hockey, minor league or najor league baseball, etc...) that offers that. And if anyone thinks a new stadium is going to change that, then they are kidding themselves. But if you know where to go at Joe Robbie, the good food is there. Now, if you want to complain about price...... Rain Delays? I still stand by my theory that we are at least middle of the road (probably less) for out door venues as far as that goes. They are an inconvienence when they do happen. But we tend to think they happen more frequently than they actually do. I know where to find the numbers for the Marlins on rain delays and postponed games, but not for other teams. I'm still daring someone to prove me wrong. The Heat? Problem for day games. I don't care if you have kids or not. It's damn hot during day games. Pretty much like any other stadium around the MLB world. It's summer. It's hot every where. Just because "hot" to others is not "hot" to us, dosen't make it any less comfortable for them. Our solution is to exchange our tickets for the 200 section. And even then we sit in the last row, next to the windows, and open them for the a/c. Not everyone can afford that option (especially the "family of 4" crowd). Or even want it. A roof fixes that problem. But, IMO, after the new car smell wears off, it still won't change the attendance woes. Bottom line... Joe Robbie is no better or worse than most other out door stadiums. People that expect too much probably should stay at home and watch the games on their TV. Because, after all is said and done, there is nothing like the pitter patter of little feet running to the fridge to get daddy a beer. Just my opinion on it, my friend. But my good experiences FAR outweigh the bad ones. I could be prejudiced.
January 11, 200917 yr One thing is to complain about the attendance in South Florida, another is to say "how could Selig still let the Marlins continue to exist with their lowest payroll and attendance in recent years". I don't watch ESPN to hear the anchors sing the praise of the Florida Marlins, but I also don't expect them to question the existence of the team and discuss dismantling it, with no regard to the fans. The Marlins may have the lowest attendance in the MLB but they also have one of the highest tv ratings, so one could safely assume that they do have fans of which I'm sure none appreciate the constant belittling and degrading of the franchise. ps I agree with you completely Marlins2003. You know though, this media perception problem is never countered by the Marlins organization. Why not I always wonder. What are you talking about? Samson counters it all the time on his show. It's a complete waste of time though. Never in a national media outlet. Go on Mike & Mike or PTI and challenge them with the numbers, then they would have to shut up about it. Why doesn't anyone ever get on KC or Pittsburgh ? They have numbers that aren't much better than we do. B/c those 2 teams have flat out sucked for years now. AND b/c we are at the bottom of the list. Actually, it is probably mentioned more than we realize. But when they say Marlins our ears stand at attention. But like I said...Attendance and fan base are totally different.
January 11, 200917 yr Bob, I'd sit through a hurricane to watch a baseball game so it's not about me, or you.
January 11, 200917 yr Stop complaining about watching a game in the heat. In the complete opposite, I was at a football (soccer) game yesterday and it was freezing, there was torrential rain throughtout the match, it was blowing a gale, so the rain was right into my face for the full 90 minutes, and there was no roof in that part of the stadium. And do u know what? I still loved every minute of the game.
January 11, 200917 yr it was freezing, there was torrential rain throughtout the match, it was blowing a gale (...) no roof in that part of the stadium. Reminds me of Viking's games in the '70s. Snow. Ice. Wind. 10 degrees. No roof anywhere on a fully open-air Metropolitan Stadium before it was razed and the site was turned into the Mall of America. It was still a lot of fun. A new retractable-dome baseball stadium won't be an attendance cure-all, but it should help considerably. Loria's not stupid, he knows the resultant revenue stream will enable him to make more and larger commitments to building and sustaining a high-quality product that people will pay to watch. He's already taken the initial steps to that end. Maybe by 2012 or 2013 we'll get to a point where attendance and payroll are more or less average for MLB and this silly discussion will fade away.
January 12, 200917 yr Bob, I'd sit through a hurricane to watch a baseball game so it's not about me, or you. Sorry I made it sound that way. That's not what I meant. Sounds more like you and/or your friends have had some bad experiences at this stadium. A new place isn't going to change that. According to the folks I have talked to, the same vending companies will be there, along with some new vendors to give the "Miami experience" in dining. As will the same security company. Those security people and ushers are the exact same ones that do the Heat, Dolphins, Panthers, and Jags. That's just naming the teams I am sure of.
January 12, 200917 yr Bob, I've had a couple, very isolated, but most have been observational - wives telling husbands they can't do this anymore after three rain delays, ruined trinkets and kids soaked to the bone, or denying a recent mother entrance as I explained with three or four others in tow, just standing there and watching this unfold is frankly apalling, and many more that go beyond just bad customer service. In the scheme of things I've been rather lucky. maybe I'm wrong but I was told the current Dolphin Stadium master concessionaire will not be invited to bid on being a service provider at the new stadium. Maybe things have changed I understood there has been a poor working relationship there for years and the Marlins won't continue it. Some of the sub-contractors may stay the same, and certainly beer and beverage is going to the highest bigger but that's really out of the concession operator's hands.
January 12, 200917 yr Author As will the same security company. Those security people and ushers are the exact same ones that do the Heat, Dolphins, Panthers, and Jags. That's just naming the teams I am sure of. Jags ??? :blink: I assume you are talking about the Jax Jaguars NFL team ? Curious all the others are South Fla teams, why throw in a North Fla team ?
January 14, 200917 yr Bob, I've had a couple, very isolated, but most have been observational - wives telling husbands they can't do this anymore after three rain delays, ruined trinkets and kids soaked to the bone, or denying a recent mother entrance as I explained with three or four others in tow, just standing there and watching this unfold is frankly apalling, and many more that go beyond just bad customer service. In the scheme of things I've been rather lucky. maybe I'm wrong but I was told the current Dolphin Stadium master concessionaire will not be invited to bid on being a service provider at the new stadium. Maybe things have changed I understood there has been a poor working relationship there for years and the Marlins won't continue it. Some of the sub-contractors may stay the same, and certainly beer and beverage is going to the highest bigger but that's really out of the concession operator's hands. I could be wrong on the concession folks. But not on the security folks. And denying entrance to a mom and kids (something they were carrying maybe?) has to do with them. Personally, I think some of their rules are a bit archaic, to be nice. And they appear to change from gate to gate. But it does appear that who is going to be at the new pond.
January 14, 200917 yr As will the same security company. Those security people and ushers are the exact same ones that do the Heat, Dolphins, Panthers, and Jags. That's just naming the teams I am sure of. Jags ??? :blink: I assume you are talking about the Jax Jaguars NFL team ? Curious all the others are South Fla teams, why throw in a North Fla team ? Didn't mean to confuse anyone. Like I said, that's just naming the teams I am sure of. And then just stayed with the pro teams. I used the Jags because I am sure of them and was showing the security people aren't just some local, fly by night operation. I think they also do some of the local colleges and other local big events, but because I am not completely sure I didn't add them. Very confident they have a hand in SBs played in South Florida; pretty sure, but not confident, they have a hand in other SBs played in the state. I stayed with the ones I am positive of, teams that I have gotten from talking to the security folks in our area. I gotta admit here, some of those people appear to have some sort of complex. Like now they have a bit of authority and like to push the limits. But we have found almost all are good, down to earth folks just doing their jobs. The others don't seem to last long. And last year especially we were always greeted with a smile, a "welcome to Dolphins Stadium", and a "have a good time." From the parking attendents to the ushers. I figured the drastic change in greetings was because ownership of the company changed hands last year. Could also have something to do with politeness breeds politeness.
January 14, 200917 yr Bob, I've had a couple, very isolated, but most have been observational - wives telling husbands they can't do this anymore after three rain delays, ruined trinkets and kids soaked to the bone, or denying a recent mother entrance as I explained with three or four others in tow, just standing there and watching this unfold is frankly apalling, and many more that go beyond just bad customer service. In the scheme of things I've been rather lucky. maybe I'm wrong but I was told the current Dolphin Stadium master concessionaire will not be invited to bid on being a service provider at the new stadium. Maybe things have changed I understood there has been a poor working relationship there for years and the Marlins won't continue it. Some of the sub-contractors may stay the same, and certainly beer and beverage is going to the highest bigger but that's really out of the concession operator's hands. This is the part I am really interested in and can't seem to find the answers, and really don't have the time to look deep enough. I would love to see a link to other o/d facilities and see where we rank in rain delays and games postponed due to the weather. If it is broken down into day games and night games that would be a plus. I just want to see if my theory is correct.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.