Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

USA shocks Spain in soccer.

Featured Replies

I'm slightly surprised there's not a thread about it here already. I'm excited but I know I'm not nearly as excited as I should be. If any other country had beaten Spain, civilization there would've stopped to celebrate (Except for maybe Brazil). Here its: "Wow!, Cool!, Ok, back to what I was doing". I think the rest of the world takes soccer a little too seriously though. Like when the US beat Columbia in 1994. They guy on the Colombian team who knocked the winning goal into his own net was killed the next day because of that. What's it gonna take for us to drink the soccer Koolaid? The team isn't marketed very well either. The only player I know of is Landon Donavan only because its a catchy name. Like Alexi Lawless, Tab Ramos and Cobe Jones. And how is it that the US woman's soccer team is one of the best in world? At least we have a soccer team. I don't think Canada does.

 

If the US ever wins the World Cup, WWIII is gonna break out. :p

 

Spain is the #1 team in the world, had a 35 game unbeaten streak, a 15 game winning streak and had gone 430 odd minutes without allowing a goal. The lowly US beat them 2-0. As amazing as I think that is, I'm sure its 10 times more amazing.

 

 

I think Spain just half-assed it. they so disrespcted the US that they only brought they're C game.

First of all I will say congrats to the USA as this is a major upset.

 

However I will also say that beat a nation like Spain in the World Cup if you want proper recognition. The Confederations Cup isn't really that big of a deal. Maybe that is part of the reason why "you still don't care".

1. You can't read, the thread is still on the first page.

 

2. The fact you haven't heard of Tim Howard, Jozy Altidore, DeMarcus Beasley, and Clint Dempsey is pretty funny. These are all star American players who have made big names for themselves internationally.

 

3. If you think this meant nothing to Spain, all you need to do is look at reaction from Gerard Pique after the second goal.

^Their unbeaten streak was on the line(which by the way is the new record), so if you think this meant nothing to Spain, think again.

 

Oh and I care.

WHAT A GREAT WIN BY THE USA BEATING SPAIN ITS A GREAT WIN FOR THE TEAM AND MORE PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY NEED TO TAKE NOTICE.

So maybe the club soccer thread should be retitled just "Soccer Thread" but there are a few of us here who care about this and realize that it was a big upset.

 

And it may not carry the impact of a win during a World Cup but I was on the BBC website yesterday and more than a few comments were made comparing this to the 1950 upset over England during the World Cup, so even in Europe people realize what a big win this was.

 

And I agree, Bosque was trying to play it down but this one hurt Spain alot. They were riding a wave of invincibility like no other international team has done before. Confed Cup or not, they were stunned. They are still the class of Europe but this was a reality check for them.

So maybe the club soccer thread should be retitled just "Soccer Thread" but there are a few of us here who care about this and realize that it was a big upset.

 

And it may not carry the impact of a win during a World Cup but I was on the BBC website yesterday and more than a few comments were made comparing this to the 1950 upset over England during the World Cup, so even in Europe people realize what a big win this was.

 

And I agree, Bosque was trying to play it down but this one hurt Spain alot. They were riding a wave of invincibility like no other international team has done before. Confed Cup or not, they were stunned. They are still the class of Europe but this was a reality check for them.

 

I was thinking the same thing.

  • Author

^Their unbeaten streak was on the line(which by the way is the new record),

 

Brazil also had a 35 game unbeaten streak.

^Their unbeaten streak was on the line(which by the way is the new record),

 

Brazil also had a 35 game unbeaten streak.

 

Yeah, my bad, the record they set was the winning record by winning 15 in a row.

Whats even more amazing is that the United States was not supposed to be in that match.

 

In the previous round... with the pooling system... the United Stats was to win their final match against Egypt by at least 3 goals without letting Egypt score any. At the same time Italy, the defending World Cup champions... had to lose by 3 goals and not score any. Both of those happened and both outcomes were 3-0, and the United States advanced. Its truly bizarre what is happening.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.