Beinfest: Inconsistency Proved Costly

Tons of places said he needed AAA time. "Very few" might be hyperbole but they outnumbered those who said he was ready.

he's AA strike out rates were extremely alarming and it's no real surprise he struggled at the start of the year.

"Very few" is definitely hyperbole.

If you go back to Spring Training, a good amount of people were excited about the prospect who hit .500/.543/.563 in 36 September plate appearances last year. Fantasy leagues were calling him a sleeper. This fanbase was excited.

Fact is, this is very easy to say now.

Very easy to blame the front office for the pitching staff now...fact is, at the beginning of the year, many projected this to be one of the best young staff's in baseball. Same with Maybin. Many projected him to produce. He didn't. It happens.

Bonifacio just sucks, though.

Maybe a good amount of people were excited, but the true scouts out there like John Sickels were very worried about his extremely high GB%, his poor contact rates, and the fact that for all of his natural power, he rarely brings any of it to bear against advanced pitching.

That .500 September proved nothing, because while it was nice to see then, the things really weren't in place for sustained success.

All I want to know is...were you saying this in March? I'd find this a lot more credible, if you said it in March. B/c all I remember is a bunch of fans being excited (hell, some were even excited for Bonifacio! Where's WildCard and his "girlfriend that would totally own me, yet it never happened" who said Bonifacio would be the next Luis Castillo? Still feel the same way? lol). Again, I'd love to see your March predictions about this time. B/c if not, I'd say it's just a case of "this is easy to say now."

Yes, I was. I really didn't believe in Maybin's chances to be an offensive contributor this year. And I wasn't surprised to see him struggle and get sent down. In fact, I won't be surprised if he does that next year. Yet the weird thing is I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump off to a hot start and do relatively well for a while.

I'm not going to go digging through the forums and find something I posted in March. But I can assure you that I was not one counting on Maybin to chip in 15-20 homers while maintaining a .260 or better clip throughout the year.

Tons of places said he needed AAA time. "Very few" might be hyperbole but they outnumbered those who said he was ready.

he's AA strike out rates were extremely alarming and it's no real surprise he struggled at the start of the year.

"Very few" is definitely hyperbole.

If you go back to Spring Training, a good amount of people were excited about the prospect who hit .500/.543/.563 in 36 September plate appearances last year. Fantasy leagues were calling him a sleeper. This fanbase was excited.

Fact is, this is very easy to say now.

Very easy to blame the front office for the pitching staff now...fact is, at the beginning of the year, many projected this to be one of the best young staff's in baseball. Same with Maybin. Many projected him to produce. He didn't. It happens.

Bonifacio just sucks, though.

Maybe a good amount of people were excited, but the true scouts out there like John Sickels were very worried about his extremely high GB%, his poor contact rates, and the fact that for all of his natural power, he rarely brings any of it to bear against advanced pitching.

That .500 September proved nothing, because while it was nice to see then, the things really weren't in place for sustained success.

All I want to know is...were you saying this in March? I'd find this a lot more credible, if you said it in March. B/c all I remember is a bunch of fans being excited (hell, some were even excited for Bonifacio! Where's WildCard and his "girlfriend that would totally own me, yet it never happened" who said Bonifacio would be the next Luis Castillo? Still feel the same way? lol). Again, I'd love to see your March predictions about this time. B/c if not, I'd say it's just a case of "this is easy to say now."

Yes, I was. I really didn't believe in Maybin's chances to be an offensive contributor this year. And I wasn't surprised to see him struggle and get sent down. In fact, I won't be surprised if he does that next year. Yet the weird thing is I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump off to a hot start and do relatively well for a while.

I'm not going to go digging through the forums and find something I posted in March. But I can assure you that I was not one counting on Maybin to chip in 15-20 homers while maintaining a .260 or better clip throughout the year.

Yeah, the 15-20 HR's thing was a terrible prediction for those who predicted that. I thought that, as well. Regardless, something I don't think helped Maybin at all was the fact he started the year hitting 8th.