Beinfest: Inconsistency Proved Costly

It's fair to say the Marlins were resilient and overachieving, but the primary reason they didn't attain their playoff goal can be summed up in one word:

Inconsistency.

"We're disappointed that we're not playing next week," Marlins president of baseball operations Admin Beinfest said Saturday afternoon at Citizens Bank Park. "Obviously, that's the goal, to make the playoffs. From that perspective, we are disappointed.

"Looking back on this team, it was inconsistency that maybe kept us from where we wanted to go, which was the playoffs. Inconsistencies in the starting pitching. We scored a ton of runs, but there were inconsistencies in the offense."

At least on paper, 2009 will go down as the third-most successful season in franchise history. Only the World Series title teams of 1997 (92) and 2003 (91) won more games.

Florida has a strong chance of finishing in second place.

The bottom line, however, was to take the season deeper into October. Even with a league-low $36 million payroll, the Marlins felt the parts were there to advance.

"We've never used payroll as an excuse," Beinfest said. "We never talk about it. Attendance, payroll, anything as an excuse. We want to make the playoffs. It's what we talk about genuinely as an organization. We talk about it all the way through the Minor Leagues. We just came up short."

Off the field, it was a benchmark year for the franchise because it was able to secure a new ballpark. The retractable-roof stadium on the Orange Bowl grounds in the Little Havana section of Miami is on schedule to open in 2012.

Until then, there will remain economic challenges and the payroll in 2010 will reflect revenues.

The team hasn't set its payroll parameters for next year. But with a number of key players eligible for arbitration, there will be changes. Perhaps the biggest name who is on the bubble is Dan Uggla.

Without giving specifics on who stays or goes, the Marlins will be hard pressed to sign their second baseman, who likely will see his salary rise from $5.35 million to roughly $7 million.

Beinfest praised Uggla for his third straight season of 30 home runs and the steadiness he's brought to the franchise.

"There aren't too many second basemen that do that regularly. He did it again this year," Beinfest said of the 30-homer mark. "I think what's really impressive about him is he brings it to the park every day. He's a winning player. He's a tough guy. I think that intangible for him means a lot to this team. Forget about the 31 home runs and the RBIs, the way he plays the game is really appreciated by the organization.

"As far as his tenure moving forward, he will go in the evaluation mode with the rest of this team. He is in line for a large raise, which he has earned. He has earned it. We'll take a look at that and figure out how we want to move ahead. I don't want to speculate as to who is going to be here and who is not."

With the season ending Sunday, an area that won't be addressed immediately is the future of the coaching staff.

Beinfest noted with the Marlins remaining in contention until the final week, there wasn't much discussion about manager Fredi Gonzalez's staff. Beinfest said that will come after the season.

Another pressing issue will be Josh Johnson, their ace pitcher and first-time All-Star.

There is a lot of speculation that the Marlins will attempt to sign Johnson to a multiyear deal. Florida typically doesn't sign pitchers long term, mainly because of risk of injury.

Johnson, who earned $1.4 million this season, will be heading for his second season of arbitration. There have been indications that the Marlins will approach Johnson about a four-year deal. The cost could exceed $40 million.

If he doesn't sign a long-term deal, the 6-foot-7 right-hander would be eligible for free agency after the 2011 season.

The only Marlins on the roster with multiyear deals are Hanley Ramirez and Wes Helms. Ramirez is completing the first of a six-year contract, and Helms is signed through 2010.

"I wouldn't rule anything out," Beinfest said. "We don't have a hard philosophy on multiyear [deals] with pitchers or players. We take them as they come. Obviously, we're comfortable with Hanley. We'll see on J.J.

"We recognize the asset and type of person, the quality of the pitcher. That's something the organization appreciates. We're not ruling anything out. We'll look at it, and we'll look at it soon."

Johnson, 15-5 with a 3.08 ERA, will be making his 33rd start Sunday. He has successfully bounced back from Tommy John surgery in 2007. "You have to go beyond thinking if the Tommy John is fixed," Beinfest said on weighing a long-term contract. "It's just the work ethic [of the player]. Is he taking care of his body? Is he a hard worker? All those things, I think Josh would fit into that category. He's made right."

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

You hate to blame specific players, but we're very likely the in the playoffs if Nolasco, Volstad, and Bonifacio performed at respectable levels. There's other blame to go around, especially in the bullpen, but those are the guys who got the most playing time and did not just fail but failed miserably.

Some consistency also hurt the Fish, like our 3B consistently underperformed for the first 4 months.

IIRC, looking at what Nolasco's runs against "should" be based off pitching independent stats, he's cost us more runs than Bonifacio would have over an average 3b.

I mean yeah certainly Bonifacio is more on the FO part because he's doing what he can with the skills he has where as Nolasco performed way under his skill level so you have to run him out day after day hoping he reaches his skill level again, but just saying.

Though to also be fair nolasco just imploded in one out of every 5 days where as bonifacio was day after day.

Some consistency also hurt the Fish, like our 3B consistently underperformed for the first 4 months.

IIRC, looking at what Nolasco's runs against "should" be based off pitching independent stats, he's cost us more runs than Bonifacio would have over an average 3b.

I mean yeah certainly Bonifacio is more on the FO part because he's doing what he can with the skills he has where as Nolasco performed way under his skill level so you have to run him out day after day hoping he reaches his skill level again, but just saying.

Though to also be fair nolasco just imploded in one out of every 5 days where as bonifacio was day after day.

Noly was sent down after 9 starts, came back up and put up a 3.82 ERA. The FO did something about it.

Bonifacio started all but 6 of the first 103 games.

Did anyone take from the article that there might be a small chance Uggla does stay.

"I think what's really impressive about him is he brings it to the park every day. He's a winning player. He's a tough guy. I think that intangible for him means a lot to this team. Forget about the 31 home runs and the RBIs, the way he plays the game is really appreciated by the organization.

A winning player - this team wants to win so maybe they see him as a crucial part of that. I know the budget constraints but you never know.....

The entire team played like crap in May. That's what cost us the play offs. Certain players hurt us, but they are no more solely responsable for our lack of playing in October than the FO is in putting too much trust in Gaby being ready to take over 1B going into ST. Very late in March, having to take our 3B, move him to 1B, and put a guy at 3B that didn't know the position hurt us alot. But we had no choice or better options.

Did anyone take from the article that there might be a small chance Uggla does stay.

"I think what's really impressive about him is he brings it to the park every day. He's a winning player. He's a tough guy. I think that intangible for him means a lot to this team. Forget about the 31 home runs and the RBIs, the way he plays the game is really appreciated by the organization.

A winning player - this team wants to win so maybe they see him as a crucial part of that. I know the budget constraints but you never know.....

I did not take that.

No, not at all.

What I took from it is, that he said nothing. Which is what all GM's do. They're not going to say what players will sign, etc.

Beinfest needs to shoulder the blame too. I'm sorry but he's the one assembled the team. Starting with Bonifacio, did he really think a punch and judy hitter and sub standard fielder was going to be able to do the job at third? Also when it became apparant in May that Maybin and Bonifacio weren't ready did he go out and get replacements? No. It wasn't until the trade deadline that they went out and got the man of glass AKA Nick Johnson. Also pitching was a concern throughout the year, when isn't it when you're starting John Koronka. Did they go out and get another starter? No! Also when your lefty out of the pen is Pinto there is a problem. Overall I was pleased with the team this season but Admin needs to remember he's the one that assembles the team no matter what the payroll.

Beinfest needs to shoulder the blame too. I'm sorry but he's the one assembled the team. Starting with Bonifacio, did he really think a punch and judy hitter and sub standard fielder was going to be able to do the job at third? Also when it became apparant in May that Maybin and Bonifacio weren't ready did he go out and get replacements? No. It wasn't until the trade deadline that they went out and got the man of glass AKA Nick Johnson. Also pitching was a concern throughout the year, when isn't it when you're starting John Koronka. Did they go out and get another starter? No! Also when your lefty out of the pen is Pinto there is a problem. Overall I was pleased with the team this season but Admin needs to remember he's the one that assembles the team no matter what the payroll.

You're usually pretty positive on this board, so what you post here really rings true. This team has to realize that losses in April and May matter just as much as losses in September. In fact, with our payroll as small as it is, our team's mentality seems to be affected every time we enter the stretch run a couple games back, where every mistake we make is magnified. This team needs to start trying to assemble a complete team from day one, not just spend April and May acting surprised that players are sucking who really should not be opening day starters in the first place. Very few baseball sources thought that Maybin was ready to be an everyday player in the majors, and even more few thought that Bonifacio was going to be an effective major leaguer.

I didn't see the Nick Johnson trade as anything more than us accepting what was practically a giveaway from the Nats. It may give some the impression that the FO actually cares, but they are just biding their time until 2012, at least we hope.

Fredi Gonzalez is another goat for me. I could care less about how he uses the bullpen, as people get way too worked up over things there. For me, it's just a mentality thing. Him saying that he believed either Lindstrom or Nunez could close next year really sums up just how full of it he is. Whatever happened to guys like Jack McKeon, who didn't try to put a positive spin on players not doing their jobs and just pretty much told it how it was. Fredi is just here because he is Ok with being the front office's puppet, and accepting whatever crap they feed to him.

That front office puppet isn't going to be able to get these guys going when the season is on the line in September.

You hate to blame specific players, but we're very likely the in the playoffs if Nolasco, Volstad, and Bonifacio performed at respectable levels. There's other blame to go around, especially in the bullpen, but those are the guys who got the most playing time and did not just fail but failed miserably.

For that matter, I think if either Ricky OR Volstad had another '08 season, we're in.

For that matter, I think if either Ricky OR Volstad had another '08 season, we're in.

Nolasco still had 13 wins this year. That's only two less than last year, and I believe he lost some because of the closing situation and stuff. His early season struggles really skewed his ERA and he did have only about 2/3 of the quality starts, but I still think he rebounded well and contributed just a little less than what we could reasonably expect. I honestly look at the way he pitched since his call-up and don't consider his full season a disappointment.

Volstad was the much larger disappointment in my book. He had a horrible stretch at the beginning of the year, and then he folded big time down the stretch. A sophomore regression is expected for a guy who doesn't really appear to have dominant stuff, but Volstad really folded completely, which was absolutely unexpected for a guy who had always been so poised.

Still, there were too many, situations like Nunez, Bonifacio, Maybin, Miller, and Anibal (rushing back from injury to get hurt again) to say that with one or two things we could have really made the playoffs. Every time we inched close we found another way to fold (like a dramatic blown save) to fall right back where we started. In the end, this team had some enough talent to win some ball games but, possibly owing to its weak spots, never really seemed to have the mentality of a team that knew it could get down to business and make the playoffs.

Nolasco still had 13 wins this year. That's only two less than last year, and I believe he lost some because of the closing situation and stuff. His early season struggles really skewed his ERA and he did have only about 2/3 of the quality starts, but I still think he rebounded well and contributed just a little less than what we could reasonably expect. I honestly look at the way he pitched since his call-up and don't consider his full season a disappointment.

Volstad was the much larger disappointment in my book. He had a horrible stretch at the beginning of the year, and then he folded big time down the stretch. A sophomore regression is expected for a guy who doesn't really appear to have dominant stuff, but Volstad really folded completely, which was absolutely unexpected for a guy who had always been so poised.

Still, there were too many, situations like Nunez, Bonifacio, Maybin, Miller, and Anibal (rushing back from injury to get hurt again) to say that with one or two things we could have really made the playoffs. Every time we inched close we found another way to fold (like a dramatic blown save) to fall right back where we started. In the end, this team had some enough talent to win some ball games but, possibly owing to its weak spots, never really seemed to have the mentality of a team that knew it could get down to business and make the playoffs.

While your overall point stands I just want to point out that Volstad had a great start to the season, with a 2.67 ERA and a 0.997 WHIP in April. His May wasn't great but it wasn't horrific either, but it was his June on that was terrible.

You're usually pretty positive on this board, so what you post here really rings true. This team has to realize that losses in April and May matter just as much as losses in September. In fact, with our payroll as small as it is, our team's mentality seems to be affected every time we enter the stretch run a couple games back, where every mistake we make is magnified. This team needs to start trying to assemble a complete team from day one, not just spend April and May acting surprised that players are sucking who really should not be opening day starters in the first place. Very few baseball sources thought that Maybin was ready to be an everyday player in the majors, and even more few thought that Bonifacio was going to be an effective major leaguer.

I didn't see the Nick Johnson trade as anything more than us accepting what was practically a giveaway from the Nats. It may give some the impression that the FO actually cares, but they are just biding their time until 2012, at least we hope.

Fredi Gonzalez is another goat for me. I could care less about how he uses the bullpen, as people get way too worked up over things there. For me, it's just a mentality thing. Him saying that he believed either Lindstrom or Nunez could close next year really sums up just how full of it he is. Whatever happened to guys like Jack McKeon, who didn't try to put a positive spin on players not doing their jobs and just pretty much told it how it was. Fredi is just here because he is Ok with being the front office's puppet, and accepting whatever crap they feed to him.

That front office puppet isn't going to be able to get these guys going when the season is on the line in September.

Not true.

Tons of places said he needed AAA time. "Very few" might be hyperbole but they outnumbered those who said he was ready.

he's AA strike out rates were extremely alarming and it's no real surprise he struggled at the start of the year.

"Very few" is definitely hyperbole.

If you go back to Spring Training, a good amount of people were excited about the prospect who hit .500/.543/.563 in 36 September plate appearances last year. Fantasy leagues were calling him a sleeper. This fanbase was excited.

Fact is, this is very easy to say now.

Very easy to blame the front office for the pitching staff now...fact is, at the beginning of the year, many projected this to be one of the best young staff's in baseball. Same with Maybin. Many projected him to produce. He didn't. It happens.

Bonifacio just sucks, though.

his september was good but was bad from a projectional standpoint. He still struck out and still only hit gbs that never left the if and still never hit for power.

Just because the fan base was excited doesn't mean he was put in a position to succeed

though IMO i do think him in the majors then was for the best, as I think it might have been a wake up call, cuz you look at what he did in AAA, he really changed this season, I don't think enough has been made of it.

there are 3 guys i am heavily blaming this season on

pinto

bonifacio

fredi

fredi for falling in love with pinto so much and keeping bonifaded too long in the starting line up.Putting bonifacio to bat or bunt in late close games to only see the same result over and over and over(strikeout).Hopefully the rumors are true and we get rid of fredi gonzales.With a better coach this team could have easily won at least the wildcard counting all the struggles this team had.

Tons of places said he needed AAA time. "Very few" might be hyperbole but they outnumbered those who said he was ready.

he's AA strike out rates were extremely alarming and it's no real surprise he struggled at the start of the year.

If you go back to Spring Training, a good amount of people were excited about the prospect who hit .500/.543/.563 in 36 September plate appearances last year. Fantasy leagues were calling him a sleeper. This fanbase was excited.

Very easy to blame the front office for the pitching staff now...fact is, at the beginning of the year, many projected this to be one of the best young staff's in baseball. Same with Maybin. Many projected him to produce. He didn't. It happens.

Maybe a good amount of people were excited, but the true scouts out there like John Sickels were very worried about his extremely high GB%, his poor contact rates, and the fact that for all of his natural power, he rarely brings any of it to bear against advanced pitching.

That .500 September proved nothing, because while it was nice to see then, the things really weren't in place for sustained success.

Maybe a good amount of people were excited, but the true scouts out there like John Sickels were very worried about his extremely high GB%, his poor contact rates, and the fact that for all of his natural power, he rarely brings any of it to bear against advanced pitching.

That .500 September proved nothing, because while it was nice to see then, the things really weren't in place for sustained success.

All I want to know is...were you saying this in March? I'd find this a lot more credible, if you said it in March. B/c all I remember is a bunch of fans being excited (hell, some were even excited for Bonifacio! Where's WildCard and his "girlfriend that would totally own me, yet it never happened" who said Bonifacio would be the next Luis Castillo? Still feel the same way? lol). Again, I'd love to see your March predictions about this time. B/c if not, I'd say it's just a case of "this is easy to say now."

there are 3 guys i am heavily blaming this season on

pinto

bonifacio

fredi

fredi for falling in love with pinto so much and keeping bonifaded too long in the starting line up.Putting bonifacio to bat or bunt in late close games to only see the same result over and over and over(strikeout).Hopefully the rumors are true and we get rid of fredi gonzales.With a better coach this team could have easily won at least the wildcard counting all the struggles this team had.

Once Hermida leaves, Pinto is easily going to take over the most unfairly hated Marlin on this board. Right now, as it stands, I think he already is. I'm not a big fan of his walks, but this is insane.