5/16 Post Game

Cogz is my FOTG easily. Like people above me said, his 3-run HR was the deciding factor.

Also, can someone tell me why Cody Ross was charged with an error for that throw? Why couldn't the official scorer ruled that the runner just advanced to 2nd on the throw? I don't get why he had to get an error, especially because it wasn't a bad throw at all.

I asked myself the same question. I believe the reason was becase the runner advanced to second because of the throw.

Thats ridiculous. Cody is being blamed for being an aggressive outfielder there.

well... The reason why the runner advanced wasn't because Cody was being agressive, but because the ball got away from Pauli.

If thats the case, the error should go to Paulino...though I disagree with that too. An outfield assist at the plate is such a difficult play that you can't assume an out in that situation, if the throw is anywhere near catchable, I dont feel an error is reasonable there. To me, an error there would be if the ball completely gets airmailed. When a throw goes up the first base line but the catcher still manages to field it cleanly, is that an error? No, so why in this case when at least Cody made it close at the plate? Again, if anything, Ronny getting an error is a better argument, though again, I wouldnt give him one either.

Errors like that might make strong armed outfielders hesitate a few times and that cant be good. I dont think thats the point of errors. Errors are misplayed SURE outs. Whatever happened to "degree of difficulty" here?

The error wasn't for the throw home, itself; it was for allowing the other two runners to get an extra base. I don't think Cody deserves the error, but he didn't get the error because the scorekeeper assumed it should've been an outfield assist.