Yorvit Torrealba accuses Yankees of Stealing Signs

cdy_0513

This is pretty freaking comical. At what point did this cease to be a part of the game and start being a crime in baseball. I was a catcher....There is a simple solution for this. If you notice the guy giving signs to the batter, then you call time, go to the pitcher, and change signs. I've done it multiple times in one game in college. It's not that uncommon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6668522

It's perfectly legal. Not even an unwritten rule really. If you are smart enough or have enough awareness to pick up patterns or tendencies in signs, then by all means, relay them to the hitter. That would be equivalent to an nfl team knowing the other teams audibles but covering their ears and going lalalala while they are calling them. If you have it, use it.

This is pretty freaking comical. At what point did this cease to be a part of the game and start being a crime in baseball. I was a catcher....There is a simple solution for this. If you notice the guy giving signs to the batter, then you call time, go to the pitcher, and change signs. I've done it multiple times in one game in college. It's not that uncommon.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6668522

Im wondering if someone can be in center field stands with a pair of binoculars and give the batter a secret single for a fastball, slider, changeup, curvball and so forth, any record of this ever happening.

There was a team, phillies, i believe, whose coach was caught in the bullpen with binoculars. He could write down the whole sequence of signs, and compare with every other pitch. Then break it down like a mathematical equation (not really math, just finding a common sequence) and viola, he know what pitch is being thrown.

He can then go to his player and tell them the signs, for when they get on base. That does bring an unfair advantage. When you're on second, you have to do this in your head. If you see a baserunner out there on base with a notepad and a pencil, then of course they will figure it out.

This is 2011. They'd be using an iPad or surreptitiously recording with their cellphone. Or maybe one of their jersey buttons would be a camera. But a pad and pencil would be funnier. Wouldn't tweeting the signs with an iPad be funny though? Especially if it was Logan Morrison doing the tweeting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.