Justin Verlander wins the AL MVP

Why would you put player in italics?

Is Verlander not on the player roster?

Is he a mascot, a donkey, a figment of imagination?

Are you saying that any position player is going ot be more valuable than any pitcher just because they are on the field more?

What would you rather have for the marlins - a full season of Josh Johnson or a full season of Emilio Bonifacio?

Also keep in mind a guy like Verlander can help his team even on days when he isn't pitching - by eating innings, getting critical wins and dominating the opposing pitching matchup is put his team in favorable positions, bullpen a chance to breath, etc.

The MVP award also has the following guidelines

There is no clear-cut definition of what Most Valuable means. It is up to the individual voter to decide who was the Most Valuable Player in each league to his team. The MVP need not come from a division winner or other playoff qualifier.

The rules of the voting remain the same as they were written on the first ballot in 1931:

1. Actual value of a player to his team, that is, strength of offense and defense.

2. Number of games played.

3. General character, disposition, loyalty and effort.

4. Former winners are eligible.

5. Members of the committee may vote for more than one member of a team.

Keep in mind that all players are eligible for MVP, including pitchers and designated hitters.

Why would you put player in italics?

Is Verlander not on the player roster?

Is he a mascot, a donkey, a figment of imagination?

Are you saying that any position player is going ot be more valuable than any pitcher just because they are on the field more?

What would you rather have for the marlins - a full season of Josh Johnson or a full season of Emilio Bonifacio?

Also keep in mind a guy like Verlander can help his team even on days when he isn't pitching - by eating innings, getting critical wins and dominating the opposing pitching matchup is put his team in favorable positions, bullpen a chance to breath, etc.

The MVP award also has the following guidelines

There is no clear-cut definition of what Most Valuable means. It is up to the individual voter to decide who was the Most Valuable Player in each league to his team. The MVP need not come from a division winner or other playoff qualifier.

The rules of the voting remain the same as they were written on the first ballot in 1931:

1. Actual value of a player to his team, that is, strength of offense and defense.

2. Number of games played.

3. General character, disposition, loyalty and effort.

4. Former winners are eligible.

5. Members of the committee may vote for more than one member of a team.

Keep in mind that all players are eligible for MVP, including pitchers and designated hitters.

I know the MVP voting rules. And you're right, Verlander is a player. But he is also a pitcher, and pitchers and position players have very different roles on a team. My point is that everyday position players go through the daily grind, whereas starting pitchers only contribute every fifth day. That is a fact.

Also take into account that Verlander's impressive record this season didn't come without the help of the very potent offense around him, including batting title winner and MVP candidate Miguel Cabrera -- who played a helluva lot more games than Verlander and contributed just as much, if not more, to the Tigers' division title. I think a lot of the writers were just drinking the Verlander Kool Aid. And yes, he's a very dominant pitcher who deserved the Cy Young Award, but in this case, this year, I just think it should have gone to a position player.

I can't recall an actual "full season" of Josh Johnson. He owns when he's healthy, but he's injured every year. A full season for him is maybe 25 starts, and that's being optimistic. And to me, Bonifacio is a valuable position player who improved leaps and bounds with his increased playing time last year. With his versatility, yes please to a full season of Bonifacio.

A starting pitcher might only play in 36 games, but he has a huge impact on each one of those 36 games and consequently a huge impact on the entire season.

Obviously Frank Thomas was never paid to think.

That is true, and the Frank Thomas Tweet was kind of a late-night joke. His outrage was amusing. I'm just presenting the other side. I recognize that there are valid points on both sides of the MVP debate. I don't know how I turned into the position players' advocate. I was a pitcher and position player for crying out loud. Blame it on boredom.