Baseball Prospectus' top 101 prospects

poptart

Well if funding is a problem, that should be a thing of the past. Has their budget for scouting & prospects increased ? If not, has anyone asked the FO about that ? The pressure should be on them about this. Tampa can't be spending a ton more than the Marlins and if they are, then Loria has been fooled by his FO and needs to rectify this soon, or to stay competitive he will forever be spending up the ying-yang on FA's because of his FO's scouting & drafting incompetence.

Well if funding is a problem, that should be a thing of the past. Has their budget for scouting & prospects increased ? If not, has anyone asked the FO about that ? The pressure should be on them about this. Tampa can't be spending a ton more than the Marlins and if they are, then Loria has been fooled by his FO and needs to rectify this soon, or to stay competitive he will forever be spending up the ying-yang on FA's because of his FO's scouting & drafting incompetence.

Tampa is normally towards the top in draft spending, yes.

What do you mean that Loria has been fooled by his FO and needs to rectify it? Who do you think declares what the draft budget it? You're not making any sense what so ever. I'm seriously confused by your post.

http://www.baseballa...itures-2008-10/

From 2008-2010, the Marlins were 27th in baseball in draft spending. The Rays were 7th. I think those 20 spots make a very, very big difference. And in 2011, the Rays spent over 10 million while the Marlins spent under 4 million, so that gap is ever higher now.

And a lot of those guys have flamed out [Hermida, West, Volstad], but I don't see how you can fault the FO for that when everyone thought they'd be good.

Maybe the minor league instructors just aren't that good? The obvious success stories (Johnson, Stanton, etc.) don't necessarily negate the possibility that the Marlins might not be making the most out of their talent.

Or maybe that the conventional wisdom for scouting is still antiquated and the Marlins have been poor at breaking free from it.

I think you are definitely right in exposing the funding issues. That's definitely a problem, but probably not the only problem.

I certainly agree. Unfortunately, there's no real way to understand just what the problem is.

In regards to instructors, I certainly think that's a "guilty until proven innocent" position considering just how fungible that job position is (I have a feeling vast majority of them teach the same thing). Unless they've shown something else to put them ahead of the pack, if the results suck then clean house.

In regards to old scouting, I definitely think that's a big problem if you had a low budget like the Marlins. Again unfortunately, conventional wisdom is what we really have to go on outside of results.

It really is just something that sucks because if you simply have a sh*t streak, you have no way to actually show it's just a sh*t streak. And you can't just simply assume it's a sh*t streak because then you'll be burned majorly if it is a problem within. At the end of the day, it simply is something that has to improve.

• 2 weeks later...

kinda depressing how sh*tty our farm system is.

we're on track to be the Pirates if everything at the Major League level doesn't click immediately.

Like people have said, our class just graduated, in terms of hitters. But yeah, we really need to improve on picks in the pitching department. It's not for lack of trying, though. We took some guys who looked excellent going into the draft with Brad Hand, Chad James, and Sinkbiel in the past. They just didn't pan out. Though I think James still could with a good year in AA this year.

Tampa is normally towards the top in draft spending, yes.

What do you mean that Loria has been fooled by his FO and needs to rectify it? Who do you think declares what the draft budget it? You're not making any sense what so ever. I'm seriously confused by your post.

http://www.baseballa...itures-2008-10/

From 2008-2010, the Marlins were 27th in baseball in draft spending. The Rays were 7th. I think those 20 spots make a very, very big difference. And in 2011, the Rays spent over 10 million while the Marlins spent under 4 million, so that gap is ever higher now.

Well that needs to change dramatically if the franchise is to remain relevant beyond the next couple of years. Loria is eventually going to get tired of paying for FA's and as we see the recent strategy has not exactly produced a viable long-term franchise model.

When I talk about Loria being fooled, is it all on Loria that the budget is low, or has his FO team convinced him that they don't need to spend because they are superior at finding value for him (which I believe they have failed at)? I think that is a legitimate question to ask.

we're on track to be the Pirates if everything at the Major League level doesn't click immediately.

Like people have said, our class just graduated, in terms of hitters. But yeah, we really need to improve on picks in the pitching department. It's not for lack of trying, though. We took some guys who looked excellent going into the draft with Brad Hand, Chad James, and Sinkbiel in the past. They just didn't pan out. Though I think James still could with a good year in AA this year.

Sinkbiel was a dud for sure, but is Hand past the point yet? Chads still pretty young a may have a good year this year like you said.

Sinkbiel was a dud for sure, but is Hand past the point yet? Chads still pretty young a may have a good year this year like you said.

I think Hand could still make for a good 3-4-5 starter but he doesn't have the stuff or control to be an ace. He's always had above average WHIPs with most of the problems stemming from walks.