Rangers extend Ian Kinsler

Hotcorner

Fair point but I think he's really underrated.

His plate discipline continues to improve and he's a 30/30 threat. I'd expect him to decline some, but this is a guy who put up a WAR of ~8 just last year, despite a .243 .BABIP.

He's a really good player.

Compared to some of the other contracts/extensions lately, I'd say this one has easily been the best.

Guest Guest

He's a good player and worth that market value (not a steal) for maybe the first 3 years of the deal, but it's going to suck having to pay him that kind of money for the last year or two.

I think if they did something like 4/60, I'd like this deal. As it sits, it's not terrible but I'm not a huge fan of it, either.

Rangers signed 2B Ian Kinsler to a five-year, $75 million contract extension with a $10 million club option for 2018.

Kinsler will make $70 million over the five years while the option (which could vest at $12 million) includes a $5 million buyout. His $15 million AAV (average annual value) is the highest ever for a second baseman, surpassing Dan Uggla's five-year, $62 million deal with the Braves from last offseason. However, Chase Utley's seven-year, $85 million deal with the Phillies is still the most in total value. The Rangers have made it a priority to lock up their core players and impending free agents Mike Napoli, Josh Hamilton and Colby Lewis could be next on the list.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.