Former Marlin Interested in 10 teams..

Marlinsbabe21

12/12/2003 2:15 PM ET

Myriad of moves could be on tap

Much activity expected as Winter Meetings begin

By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

Talk continues of a deal that would send Alex Rodriguez to Boston for Manny Ramirez. (Linda Kaye/AP)

NEW ORLEANS -- The first pitch of the 2003 Winter Meetings was tossed on Friday morning by agent Scott Boras, who held an off-the-cuff press conference in the lobby of the New Orleans Marriott.

Boras, who handles four of baseball's biggest stars, may hold the key to the meetings.

Dressed in workout clothes, Boras addressed the futures of free agents Greg Maddux and Ivan Rodriguez and the status of a trade of Kevin Brown from the Dodgers to Yankees and a blockbuster that would send Alex Rodriguez from Texas to Boston.

Meanwhile, Giants manager Felipe Alou, Mets manager Art Howe and Dodgers vice president Tommy Lasorda alternately held court. Lasorda played with babies in carriages and hugged elderly ladies. But Boras produced the news in a hotel that is contained and cozy, unlike the sprawling expanse of the Opryland Hotel in Nashville, where these meetings were held last year.

Brown, who as a veteran of more than 10 big league seasons and the last five with his current team, can veto any trade. He is on his way to the New York Yankees for Jeff Weaver, also a Boras client. Boras obviously is contending with issues for the two pitchers, but said the path seems to be cleared toward completing the deal.

"I've got one issue to take care of with the Dodgers and I assume that if we resolve that issue we'll fire away," Boras said about Brown. "We're taking care of the contract elements first before we wave the no-trade clause. We had this discussion before. We talked about the probable places he would go and New York is on the list. I don't see any problems."

Weaver is a native of Northridge, Calif., just miles from Dodger Stadium. After meeting with Dodgers general manager Dan Evans for several hours on Thursday night, Boras said the Dodgers have no intention of using Weaver in another deal and that he will remain in Los Angeles.

"For Jeff he gets to come home," Boras said. "That's pretty nice. He gets into a rotation. He knows he's going to get his 32 to 33 starts."

According to Boras, the Yankees seem to have agreed to make adjustments to account for the difference in the cost of charter flights from his home near Atlanta to New York compared to those from Atlanta and Los Angeles. Brown was also seeking similar placement of his tickets for games at Yankee Stadium as compared to the ones he received at Dodger Stadium.

"That's a minor consideration," Boras said. "There's no additional compensation for Brown waving his no-trade rights. This deal is being done primarily for Kevin's family. He wants to get closer to the East Coast. [Yankees general manager Brian] Cashman went over all the language of the contract and there's nothing in it that's in any way an issue for the Yankees."

Boras also hinted that the Yankees could be in the market for Maddux, an 18-year veteran and former Atlanta Brave who is 11 wins shy of the 300-win plateau, a mark reached this past season with the Yankees by Roger Clemens. The Yankees could sign Maddux to replace Andy Pettitte, who signed as a free agent with the Houston Astros on Thursday.

"The Yankees have told me that they're still seeking a veteran pitcher," Boras said. "I'm not sure that their pursuits are done. There was talk about them signing both Pettitte and [trading for] Brown at the same time. They still have an interest in starting pitching. It will just depend on the maneuvering they do with their other players."

As far as Alex Rodriguez and the remainder of his 10-year, $252 million contract possibly going to the Red Sox for Manny Ramirez for the remainder of his eight-year, $160 million deal, Boras said the fate of the trade is now in the hands of the owners -- John Henry for the Red Sox and Tom Hicks for the Rangers.

On such a deal, then, rides the fate of incumbent Red Sox shortstop Nomar Garciaparra, who is expected to be traded if Boston gets Rodriguez.

"Alex has given them the consent to talk because he has a no-trade clause," Boras said. "That's all he can do. There's positives and negatives from both sides in this deal. Both teams have got to put their plan in place soon. They need to make a decision. So the timetable has to be rapid. I'm not looking at a three-way deal, but obviously if they get Alex there has to be a third team involved because Boston has to get rid of Nomar. I imagine that would be in place before they even do the deal with Texas."

On Ivan Rodriquez, a premier free agent catcher who just starred for the World Series champion Florida Marlins, the Christmas shopping is just beginning.

"We're beginning that process this afternoon and we'll talk to a number of teams," Boras said. "He's given me a list of 10 teams he's interested in."

Barry M. Bloom is a national reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

It doesn't matter how many teams he's interested in. Heck, I'll limit my choices down to 30 teams. Still, like Pudge, none are expressing an interest in me.

It sounds like the Cubs are out of the picture. Baltimore is the only team that seems to be any real possibility, and he's not even on their "A" list. Only if they fail to get any of the four they are interested in, Vlad, Tejera, Nomar, and Javy, does he have a chance at getting his asking price.

Pudge isn't going to find any offers he likes, so he will just give up and sign with the white sox as a non-roster invitee to spring training like esteban loaiza did last season? :lol

Already making predictions? :lol

"Pudge and the White Sox are in talks now... but Pudge wants a 3 year/$300 million contract." How many statues of himself can that buy?

Pudge isn't going to find any offers he likes, so he will just give up and sign with the white sox as a non-roster invitee to spring training like esteban loaiza did last season? :lol

Already making predictions? :lol

"Pudge and the White Sox are in talks now... but Pudge wants a 3 year/$300 million contract." How many statues of himself can that buy? Enough for him to put one in his bathroom right infront of the toilet...

Man, if you take a look at the ESPN Rumor page, the freakin Orioles are listed as an interested team for a good 70% of the players there. It's nuts!

Because of all their involvements and other priorities, I doubt Pudge will don the orange and black next year. I predict that the O's will end up with Lo Duca because he's much cheaper.

Man, if you take a look at the ESPN Rumor page, the freakin Orioles are listed as an interested team for a good 70% of the players there. It's nuts!

Because of all their involvements and other priorities, I doubt Pudge will don the orange and black next year. I predict that the O's will end up with Lo Duca because he's much cheaper.

The O's have $40 million to spend... they can afford Vlad, Tejeda, and J. Lo if they wanted...