Doug Davis, Bench Coach

Flag Man

Posted essentially this last season. Received no replies. Guess I should have learned, but, here goes.

Unlike many other teams, our Bench Coach Doug Davis seems anonymous. He has a very good minor league managing record. When our FO hired Jack, they chose Davis who was then the Expos "minor league field coordinator" as his Bench Coach.

Granted he's not as much fun as a Don Zimmer, but what, in fact, is his contribution? To Jack? To the Clubhouse?

Is he the heir apparent?

(Guess I just need a break from the hot-stove trading!)

He is our future manager as far as I know. If you watch him, you will understand somethings. I like his demeanor - he seems to be a very businesslike guy with a serious approach. Probably best suited for a more veteran team, and this team is going to become that over the next season or two....could be a smooth transistion. I have a good feeling about him...

Heres an article I found from the sporting news on basically what it means to be a bench coach:

For the past eight seasons, Don Zimmer has adopted a Buddha-like posture next to Joe Torre in the Yankees' dugout. Zimmer and Torre sit impassively regardless of whether the team is winning or losing, chatting away like two old friends on a park bench. Their conversations, however, are anything but casual.

Zimmer, a former major league manager, is the Yankees' bench coach. That makes him Torre's most trusted adviser, his strategic co-planner, almost literally his right-hand man. Together they try to outwit their counterparts in the opposing dugout--managers and bench coaches plotting their own maneuvers in the daily chess matches that occur during every game.

Baseball teams employ pitching and hitting coaches to help players. Bench coaches exist primarily to help managers, reducing their workloads, acting as their sounding boards, suggesting in-game strategies.

"Some managers I watch, the bench coach isn't really next to the manager," says Orioles bench coach Sam Perlozzo. "I try not to get too far from the manager. There are always things going on."

Not all managers use a bench coach--former Mets manager Bobby Valentine operated without one in 2000 and 2001. But even veterans such as Torre prefer bouncing strategy off someone like Zimmer, and first-time managers usually hire experienced bench coaches to offer advice on everything from handling players to dealing with the media.

The exception this season is in Detroit, where rookie Tigers manager Alan Trammell picked a coaching novice, Kirk Gibson, to be his bench coach. Three of the other four first-time managers chose former major league skippers--the Mariners' Bob Melvin took Rene Lachemann, the A's Ken Macha hired Terry Francona, and the Indians' Eric Wedge picked Buddy Bell. The other first-time manager, the Brewers' Ned Yost, went with Rich Dauer, a coach with the Royals the past six seasons.

In every relationship between manager and bench coach, trust is critical. Dodgers manager Jim Tracy, who spent four seasons as bench coach for Felipe Alou with the Expos and two for Davey Johnson in Los Angeles, says he needed time to gain the confidence of both managers. At first, Tracy says, Alou didn't even allow him to write out the official lineup card.

"Once you get to a point where you're comfortable with your bench coach, you can give them more responsibility," Tracy says.

Such delegation is necessary, particularly before games. Managers need time to fulfill their media obligations and meet one-on-one with players. Certain mundane tasks--such as filling out lineup cards--are better assigned to members of the coaching staff. But in most cases, the job of a bench coach entails far more than offering an extra set of hands.

Perlozzo sets the Orioles' infield defense and gives signs to catchers on when to throw to second if a stolen base is attempted with runners on first and third. Macha helped construct the lineup and positioned the A's defense when he was Art Howe's bench coach, recording the location of every batted ball and updating detailed charts for each opposing hitter as the game progressed. Tracy coordinated spring training workouts for Alou and Johnson, assuming a role often reserved for coaches with strong organizational skills.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m1208/2...1/article.jhtml

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.